Burn vs Karnali

Inland paddling
enb

Burn vs Karnali

Post by enb »

ive done a little search but not really found the answer, can someone show me a thread that already discusses this or as they say discuss.

what are the difference between the 2 boats as they look very similar in design and function.

I am asking this as im looking into a larger boat and was looking at the medium burn and karnali

TheKrikkitWars

Re: Burn vs Karnali

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Kanarli is slightly longer, has much softer edges and the rocker profile is different, but I don't remember how.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

The karnali is a more similar shape to the nomad, jefe, etc.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

clarky999 wrote:The karnali is a more similar shape to the nomad, jefe, etc.
That's not strictly true; it still has a flat bottom, which compared to the mishapen jelly-bean of the jefe...
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

it is 'more displacing' than the burn though - pyranha's nod to displacement hulled creekers.

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

Karnali:

is longer
has less rocker
is narrower and shallower around the knees
has softer edges

In summary (though I haven't paddled one) the Karnali is more forgiving than the Burn but less dynamic. Faster but less manoeuverable. Will hold a line better but won't boof as well. Etc.

When I checked it out I decided the ideal Pyranha creek boat would be a Burn with Karnali edges - so I bought a Salto Evo : ]
Death just had a Near Chuck Norris Experience

enb

Post by enb »

I dont hear of loads of people raving about the Karnali like they do the Burn, maybe thats because they are a lot newer to the market than the Burn but im seriously thinking about getting a burn.
I was thinking of the medium but im wondering if this is going to be the right size for me, im currently 14st (hoping to lose atleat a stone lol) and 5'7" is the medium going to be about right or will i be better off with the small, the large will be way too big because of my height.

Rinseout

Post by Rinseout »

i owned a m karnarli for about 6 weeks and sold because it didnt fit me 85kg 5ft 10ins it feels alot longer than a burn but the rails are really nice and high very good stability imo could do with more rocker and being able to bring the thigh braces further back. But over all a good fast boat not as agile as a burn requires more bossing around nice to roll massive volume punches through evey hole surfs ok cant think of much else to say execpt i have now moved on to a jefe and much prefer it by a mile.

George

RVabdn

Post by RVabdn »

enb wrote:I dont hear of loads of people raving about the Karnali like they do the Burn, maybe thats because they are a lot newer to the market than the Burn but im seriously thinking about getting a burn.
I was thinking of the medium but im wondering if this is going to be the right size for me, im currently 14st (hoping to lose atleat a stone lol) and 5'7" is the medium going to be about right or will I be better off with the small, the large will be way too big because of my height.
I could rave about my Karnali and I have before but I've never actually paddled a burn so I won't compare them. I was attracted to it because I loved the H3 and it was a lot cheaper than the burn. I will say that although it was only £650 I never felt there was any compromise on quality. The outfitting is connect 30, which I like, and I've abused mine for over a year and although it did dent a little during an unmanned decent of the findhorn gorge I think it's held up really well.
Richard Veitch

Rinseout

Post by Rinseout »

Thats one thing it does have over the burn is the price ;)

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea »

Unless of course you're looking at the Mark One Burn, which I have just a couple left, they're cosmetic seconds and as a result, just £649 each!

Bob Flanagan III

Post by Bob Flanagan III »

I own a karnali m, am 6ft and weigh about 95 kg with all my kit. The karnali is big enough for me to have crashed proofed the footrest with 5 inches of foam and still fit in.
It really depends what you want from a boat. If I'm lucky. I will manage to get away once a month paddling and so went for the karnali as a more forgiving boat that wouldn't spank me everytime I make an error.
To put it in context, at the recent gene 17 weekend, I paddled the whole of the Upper Dart on the Saturday without needing to roll where as a couple of my friends in Burns were having to fight a lot more to get the lines.
The final thing is the price. I managed to negotiate a 20% discount when I bought mine which took the price down to £520 which not bad at all for a brand new creek boat.

The Drowned Fish

Post by The Drowned Fish »

Are the hull and rails on the Karnali and the Z.One the same? like the Inazone and H2 used to be. I really liked the feel of the Z.One I borrowed the other day but need a higher volume boat.

Cheers
S

Buds

Post by Buds »

Try an Everest? If you're 95kg it might be quite a good fit, and the hull is a little bit more forgiving than the old burn whilst being super-quick on a line.

Jace

Post by Jace »

Might be of use?

Karnali - http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/categories/ ... p?item=312

Everest - http://www.canoekayak.co.uk/categories/ ... 7&item=277

Just did a 'First Look' test on the new 2010 Burn. Full report will be in issue 107 of CKUK

J

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

I'm 95kg, owned a Burn M for several months and never felt that it was too small.

michelin

Post by michelin »

I'm 95 KG aswell and i bought a Med BURN a month ago and i love it and it feels fine at my weight also.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

I'm about 93 kilos (ahem...) and usually paddle a medium Burn.
Oddly enough I don't particularly like the medium Karnali as it seems to push my knees too close together and keep them too low.
However, I do like the large Karnali as it's seating and leg position feels to me quite similar to my M Burn.
I'm not particularly keen on the L Burn (even though its probably more weight appropriate for me) because it feels like the cockpit is too "high" on me -- although I'm sure this is easily remedied by raising the seat a tad.
Giles

enb

Post by enb »

Thank you for all your help everyone. after reading everyones opinions etc and doing some research myself i have just ordered myself the medium Burn, picking it up sunday :)

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

A fine choice. Suits you sir. Oooof!

enb

Post by enb »

Well here she is, my new medium burn.

Big thank you to https://www.peak-outdoors.co.uk/ who dont normally open on a sunday this early in the year but opened up so i could head up there to get my boat, i couldnt go saturday due to work.
The boat was a really good price as well.
Ive set up the footplate etc now all i need to do is paddle it to make sure its trimmed in the water correctly do some extra adjustments if needed and start enjoying a proper boat :)

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris »

I've only used the old Burn on low grade water, but having seen the Karnali, it looks like a bit of a monster (and the Ammo goes to the other extreme, I've seen longer freestyle boats) so the Burn will take up less room and probably turn more easily.
Hey don't worry, jus' live 'til ya die- QOTSA

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”