Making splits out of old Werners

Inland paddling
ken_nic

Making splits out of old Werners

Post by ken_nic » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi,

I have just made my old Werners in to 4 piece splits and as there have been lots of threads about splits lately I thought I would post up how I did it.

The obvious problem with using Werners for splits is the oval shafts so you have to be careful where you make the cuts. I cut the shaft in the centre where it's round so no problem and then used my judgement to work out roughly where the oval at the end of the paddle becomes round so I could make the cut half a spigots length away from it.

After cutting my paddles in to 4 pieces I then had to find 3 28mm spigots. This was easy as AS Watersports had them in stock at £6 each.

In order to fit half a spigots length in two paddle sections I had to scrape out a few cm of foam from in the shaft.

Once this was done I glued in the spigots with Araldite and left in the warm overnight.

The next step was to make some push button clip things to stop the blades from twisting. I assume that you can buy these from someone like Lendal but I had time and my Grandads workshop at my disposal. I used some spring steel and made a brass button which riveted on to the spring. After setting the blade at the correct angle and drilling the hole these clips fitted in and seem to work well. I also made some tight fitting brass rings to strengthen the shaft where I assume it will receive the most stress but looking at it now I don't think they are necessary.

I'm quite pleased with the finished result.

I left the middle join as it was and plan to just use duck tape to fix it at whatever angle is required.

I hope this is useful to some people.

Nick

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Re: Making splits out of old Werners

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:24 pm

Is there much flex in these being a 4 piece set rather than just a two piece?

Ta

Will K

Post by Will K » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:34 pm

Nic they look flash!

ken_nic

Post by ken_nic » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:35 pm

I just went and put a fair bit of force on them and they seem just as stiff as when they were 1 piece. The spigots seem pretty strong and well made.

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:36 pm

looks good. I am planing on doing this but trying to find another way of securing them together i just dont trust the pushlock metal thing.

however these may be a good idea for the avarage joe with not workshop

http://www.canoesandkayaks.co.uk/produc ... ton_Lendal

ken_nic

Post by ken_nic » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:43 pm

At £2.45 they look like a very good option!

harrywatson

Post by harrywatson » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:07 am

Do you think it would be possible to buy 2 broken pairs of Werners that are snapped along the shaft, and make them into splits, they would work out pretty cheap.

Kev W

Post by Kev W » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:33 am

Excellant info guys, just what Ive been after, looks like the werners will be getting sawn in two shortly, :-) Thanks,

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:32 am

You should go into business and offer this as a service :-) Well done and good info. I bet there are loads of people that have old or broken Werners and other makes hanging around.

Graham T

Post by Graham T » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:56 am

Are the brass rings a shrink fit with heat or glued to prevent movement ?

ken_nic

Post by ken_nic » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:44 am

Do you think it would be possible to buy 2 broken pairs of Werners that are snapped along the shaft, and make them into splits
If they have snapped where the shaft is round and not oval then yes I don't see why not.
Are the brass rings a shrink fit with heat or glued to prevent movement ?
They are quite tight and glued but I don't think they are needed really. I decided to make them before I realised that I could hollow out the foam from the blade section to get the spigot in far enough.

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Nice work Nic, Glad to see not all students are legless through the hols, hahaha.
Lost your job? Wife ran off with your best mate? Bailiffs coming for the Audi? Thinking of topping yourself? Dont call the Samaritans, come for a paddle.
3 cheers for rap music.........Hip hop.................

jackbay131

Post by jackbay131 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:25 am

These look realy well made wish id done something as constructive over xmas instead of just binge eating and avoiding work xD
I know the best answer to this is dont drop them, but i was thinking if u were to drop these would they sink as they dont have air sealed in the shaft? then i thought if you squirted that liquid to solid insulation foam inside the shaft would this work as bouyancy?
Also i thought that cutting the joints at a diagonal would ensure they stayed at the right angle if the brass pop out buttons failed.
Or is this over thinking it?
Pay cheques , here today , gone tomorrow.

Edwindle

Post by Edwindle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:44 am

The insulation foam will rot I think. I cut off oblongs of foam from an old footrest and rammed them down. Now they float.
Edwin Runagle.

Life's short, paddle hard.

jackbay131

Post by jackbay131 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:10 am

true , that sounds better.
Pay cheques , here today , gone tomorrow.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”