Shoulder Recovery

Inland paddling
Rdscott

Shoulder Recovery

Post by Rdscott » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:01 pm

So as most of you are aware I dislocated my shoulder early october.

So i have been getting physio which has been painfull very pain full.
I have 95% movement back but no strength, i have got to the stage of building this up, with weights mainly 5 kg dungbells doing shoulder movement, my physio isnt available for 2 weeks now as hes away. but i have been doing these for a week and my shoulder is making some horrid noises and is really painfull.

I have built up alot of muscle mass, but dont seem to be getting anystronger. I am doing around 30 reps of 5kgs 3 times a day of each movement which is what i was told to, but cant lift anything higher.

I dont perticularly want to build any more muscle mass up just get stronger any advice.

and any adivce on loosing weight i seem to have put alot on but have been told not to cycle or kayak yet, and I have bad kneew so running isn't good for me. I have been swiming but seem to be gaining more wieght than anything even with a smaller less calorie intake diet.

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Re: Shoulder Recovery

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:07 pm

PM Glyn B, hes a physio, will be able to help you out. Hope the rcovery is going well, give us a bell in the new year if you ever fancy a bimble out somewhere.

Walking, may do you more good than anything or maybe speed walking, just depends on how bad your dicky knee is!

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Ye rick will pop over at some point.

I can flat warer kayak and work wich isnt so bad. recoverys going well, physio recons 6 weeks before i can get on the grade 3 and ups. I just dont fancy haveing arms and shoulders like a body builder. and a stomach like a beer monster.

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:23 pm

When I dislocated my shoulder it took a long time to recover the strength fully, but I found paddling helped no end in helping build strength and flexibilty soon after the dislocation. My physio told me to go paddling as soon as I felt I could. Nothing too strenuous, nothing too silly, so Hurley on 4 gates it was! and then a week later I was in Uganda 5.5 weeks after dislocating it! It was nowhere near fully fit but I was paddling and it helped every day with gaining a bit more strength and movement. I'd say it was another year before I felt fully fit again, and at the moment I'm having no problems and I'm paddling regularily. It still makes funny noises and aches occasionally, but this is normally because I haven't been stretching or doing any exercise lately.

My physio said the key is to get back to normality as quickly as possible, if it hurts, stop.

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Cheers dave im gona start getting out on the flat water as soon as i can get out of my drive.

I have had some complications such as 6 hours out of its socket and the top of my humurs pointing out my chest, resulting in a very badly torn roto cuff and infraspinatus muscle. 3 weeks ago i wouldnt even twist my arm in a forward paddling possition.

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:36 pm

Ouwch, I had mine out of socket for almost 2 hours and I thought that was bad!

I didn't have any complications as bad as that, after 4 days I was using my arm again and took it out of the sling. Have damaged roto cuff and supraspinatus before, it takes a while but the physio will work. Avoid swimming.... it's not good for dodgey shoulders.

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Rdscott wrote:
and any adivce on loosing weight I seem to have put alot on but have been told not to cycle or kayak yet, and I have bad kneew so running isn't good for me. I have been swiming but seem to be gaining more wieght than anything even with a smaller less calorie intake diet.
Every recovery is different I guess but for me I found road biking was the first sport I could do initially, I also started taking a bodyboard out in the surf for my water fix once I was able to hold myself up ok, and threw a few diving holidays into the mix. It took me a long time to get back into surfing and kayaking properly and found myself very protective of my shoulder and extremely cautious when I was able to get out again.

Mentally I could have lost my mind not doing sports. I just gave myself a goal and started using my road bike to train for a 24hr mountain bike race with the thought that my shoulder would be sorted by the time it came round. That gave me purpose to my road biking and gave me a focus.

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:41 pm

If you say you can only just now rotate your arm in a normal paddling action then I would think 5Kg is probably too much weight. If the feeling is pain (localised/intense) rather than tired dull ache in the muscle then I would back off for a few days and then gently (theraband) do all of the finite control exercises to check you have full control without pain. Then restart the exercises but cut the weight down.

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:45 pm

It was about three weeks ago which in the scale of things is just over a third of recovery time.

I have got certain possitions i have not to move my arm in. quite yet. and the theroband is a good bit of kit. The pain is a localised aching of the shoulder but no more that i get when i sleep on it. I've been told its the rotocuff healing, bu i might back down on the weights a bit.

adamheason

Post by adamheason » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:12 pm

My advice would be to act on the cautious side as i dislocated my shoulder a year and a half ago doing a silly rock jump, then 4 weeks later all felt fine so was back working, paddling 4 to 6 days a week down the Ardeche, shoulder feeling 100% no problems, climbing as well, then 2 months after the first disslocation, it came out again doing some simple front crawl in the pool.
So be carefull and dont push it too far! a couple of months off paddling now might be better than 6 months in the future, as when mine came out the second time i had to have surgery, ended up with 3 months off work and alot longer untill it was at full strength.

Adam

Gromit :D

Post by Gromit :D » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Ive been having sholder issues for a cuople of years, surgery is looking v likly (im only 17) many many dislocations and the ligament damage that goes with it. It doesnt help that Im very hypermobile.

Echo-ing what been said above walking may be best. Running realy hurt my shoulder after I did it I thin it was all the jarring. Static cycling is pretty good as well. Being a stupid 15 yr old I rushed back too soon and paid the price with aother dislocation almost strait away.
Im no physio but 5kg sounds pretty high Ive been working on my physio for over a year -every signle day, Im a good girl :) - and im just on 1kg ie a bag of suger. I started in 500g.... I am a wimp though! Therabands are amazing! Yes, its boreing and ripetetive but it works.

Some weight gain is probaly ineviteble if your activity levels has sudenly dropped. Trying to get out for a walk every day could help...easier said than done in this snow but it is exserise and it gives you something to do. Walking saved my sanity :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise that we cant eat money.

Native American saying

BigMike

Post by BigMike » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:57 pm

If you've been doing all this but don't feel any strength I would go back to your GP before seeing the physio again. A CT scan might be an idea, and an x-ray.

AnnieC

Post by AnnieC » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:19 pm

If it hurts definitely stop! To start building strength my physio had me doing exercises without using any weights at all, as your arms act as weights in themselves. So 5kgs could be a bit heavy!

Best of luck, don't rush it. It was four months and four days before I got back on the water and the consultant reckons it's at least 12 overall before it's "back to normal". When your shoulder is a bit more comfortable maybe you could swap one of your physio sessions for one with a personal trainer to lose the weight, or, start going to Pilates classes right now to improve your core strength. There must be loads starting up with New Year's resolution season almost upon us. You might have to sit out some of the exercises but at least you will be doing something productive that will stand to you when you get back paddling properly. Best of luck.

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:19 pm

Rdscott,

I wouldn't listen to any advice from any one other than a sports physio!!!!!!!

I know how general GP's knowledge and generic physios experience can be and wouldn't listen to either of them.

Similarly I wouldn't listen to any of us who have also hurt our shoulder.

I had my shoulder out for about 3 or 4 hours before it went back in. I had it in a sling for a week or so and I had no to little strength in it for a long long time.

I didn't touch weights for ages. I'm amazed you've put on any muscle mass in such a short time, I'd have thought this to be physically impossible. You say you're doing 35reps, how many sets?....see now even I'm getting dragged in...

SEE A SPORTS PHYSIO!!!!

And good luck mate, dislocations suck and you'll now be doing physio forever... :o)
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:35 pm

3 sets on each movement Ryan, I was in a weight bearing sling for almost 3 weeks so the muscle depleated in size alot. its coming up on 2 and a half months since i've doen anything and although im wanting it to repair properly i want to get out and do stuff, due to me being a outdoor instructor and all my hobbies being quite agressive outdoor sports I'm mega bored and mega fat now not to mention skint.

I'm only doing what my physio who is a cyclist and a rower is telling me. but as for a sports physio the colsest one to me is quite a distant away god dam living in the middle of know where.

Looks like I'll be sitting the boxxing day and new year paddling out not to mention the whole winter season ice climbing. arghhhhhhhh
Ryan P wrote:And good luck mate, dislocations suck and you'll now be doing physio forever... :o)
Good thing my physios changing to a hot single girl then ;-)

Gromit :D

Post by Gromit :D » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Can I just ask whos your physio please, I just noticed your in Huddersfield area?
NHS or someone else? Im fast falling out with the NHS I just keep getting bounced aroubd between physio to physio. I know its not thier fault but they seem to find it hard to, haveing to pick up where someone else left up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise that we cant eat money.

Native American saying

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:48 pm

Unfortunatly its the nhs at the min, the private physio is fully book till the new year.

I live quite a bit out of huddersfield in the sticks. hopefully i will beable to get booked into the private physio after the new year. Wish i was still in the lakes as i'd be straight to body rehab in stavely

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:18 pm

Ok mate so far what you've said follows the bad advice I was also given.

Now before I go pissing off any NHS staff...I don't care! Keep your excuses and reasons for bad, unsueable advice!

The NHS gave me damaging advice both in hospital and at several GP's.

Like I said I didn't start on the weights for a long time. In MY situation the bad advice to stay in the sling tightened up things to the extent that the first month of physio involved re-tearing and stretching everything back to where it should have been....then moving on to very very light weight gym ball exercises (ball at head height against wall, doing stand up push ups away from it concentrating on form not strength) ask your physio to show you these as they work and I still use them till this day.

I know you live far away dude, but making the journey once a fortnight will be worth it!...especially if she's hot, and female!! (who cares about single, target to a bull dude haha....ahhh I'm )
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”