Tees WW Course -Tide levels

Inland paddling
Ian W

Tees WW Course -Tide levels

Post by Ian W » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:40 am

Can anyone advise me whether the tide height makes a difference to the WW course at Teeside, i.e does it get 'better' at higher tides?

It has been a long time since visiting (luckily) but have to visit the area for work next week, so might take a boat.

Thanks
Ian

Nic1234

Re: Tees WW Course -Tide levels

Post by Nic1234 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:18 am

I think, though am not certain, that the course is closed for refurb at the moment isn't it??

cookie monster

Post by cookie monster » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:22 am

As far as I know and I may be wrong, the lower the Tide the bigger the drops become. ie;
1.2 tide - Acid Drop can be massive and sticky
2.0+ tide - Acid drop can be washed out.

I think it also depends on the bottom pool level which is affected by the river levels. The drops can also vary through out the day depending on the tide movments.

Im no expert, but hope that helps.

Ian W

Post by Ian W » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:49 am

nicola underhill wrote:I think, though am not certain, that the course is closed for refurb at the moment isn't it??
Not heard about this but their website is showing release times for December?
http://www.teesactive.co.uk/activities/ ... /rowid=511

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:51 am

nicola underhill wrote:I think, though am not certain, that the course is closed for refurb at the moment isn't it??
The last post we had here states that the course will be open until at least the end of December.
cookie monster wrote:As far as I know and I may be wrong, the lower the Tide the bigger the drops become. ie;
1.2 tide - Acid Drop can be massive and sticky
2.0+ tide - Acid drop can be washed out.

I think it also depends on the bottom pool level which is affected by the river levels. The drops can also vary through out the day depending on the tide movments.

Im no expert, but hope that helps.
I think that's essentially correct. I seem to remember the biggest time I've been there was when the tide was less than 0.8m or thereabouts. It does change throughout your time there however, something which the new pumped upgrade will change I guess?
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

BillAnderson

Post by BillAnderson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Hello.

The Barrage works best on lower tides.

> 2m You may get Cruncher but not Valentines or the Bottom Drop

1.2 - 1.6m Ideal for playing in the bottom drop

< 1m the bottom drop gets a bit sticky.

Bill

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:02 pm

It has been a long time since visiting (luckily)
Steady on there matey

Paul

Ian W

Post by Ian W » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Thanks Bill and others for the info.

Paul l - not my intention to offend Teeside fans (assuming that's what you were steadying me about), just that to travel the 2hrs plus it takes to get there from the Lakes means that we must be in the middle of a drought, as, despite the exciting names of Cruncher, Valentines and Acid Drop, it still does not rate as highly as local rivers with some water in. On that note has anything been changed in that last 4 years i.e been made deeper or more features other than the hole at half way and the final drop?

Thanks
Ian

TomWardill

Post by TomWardill » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Ian W wrote:Thanks Bill and others for the info.

Paul l - not my intention to offend Teeside fans (assuming that's what you were steadying me about), just that to travel the 2hrs plus it takes to get there from the Lakes means that we must be in the middle of a drought, as, despite the exciting names of Cruncher, Valentines and Acid Drop, it still does not rate as highly as local rivers with some water in. On that note has anything been changed in that last 4 years i.e been made deeper or more features other than the hole at half way and the final drop?

Thanks
Ian

Not yet, that's what the new developments will bring. They actually look quite exciting, will be interesting to see what they come out like in the end.

To echo above, features work best in lower tides, though the bottom drop does become 'quite' sticky at < 0.9. Also, be very aware that the levels do change during the course of the day, I've been caught out by an unexpected bottom drop, despite checking it earlier in the day.
Tom Wardill

markrobinson_1

Post by markrobinson_1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:34 pm

Not sure if this is still current but I think if it all got pulled off I'd be at Teesside a LOT more!

http://www.patrickparsons.co.uk/public/ ... pgrade.pdf

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:23 am

Paul l - not my intention to offend Teeside fans
Hi Ian,

I live on Teeside but was not offended ;o) The Barrage is handy when there`s no water and what Bill says is right about tide heights. I used to paddle the barrage a couple of times a week as its 10 mins from my house, however if there`s water else where I get on a river now if I can so understand your point, not sure I would drive a few hours to paddle it .And no nothing has been changed at present except maybe the bollards have been moved a few times. The proposed changes promise to be good if they ever happen they were due to start sept/oct 2008 so not holding my breath.I think we`re maybe a bit too far north and our area does`nt have London in the name so am a little sceptical as to whether they will actually happen. Hope you have a good day here if you come .

Cheers

Paul

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”