Matt from Blue Peter presents the Access problem

Inland paddling
Lowri Davies

Matt from Blue Peter presents the Access problem

Post by Lowri Davies » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Well done to whoever managed to get this organised!

RVabdn

Re: Matt from Blue Peter presents the Access problem

Post by RVabdn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:08 pm

That was really good. It's the first time I heard the Rev Caffyn speak on the subject. I don't know why but I assumed he'd passed away.

The only thing that really annoyed me was the landowner saying that all the wildlife would be scares away by a single boat. I've seen so many different animals as I paddle rivers that that cannot be true.
Richard Veitch

shanclan

Post by shanclan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:54 pm

Very good. Is it going to be broadcast?

Nugz

Post by Nugz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:04 pm

Good stuff. I even learnt something new.
Anglers are the only people who actually understand what goes on beneath that shiny surface.

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:26 pm

shanclan wrote:Very good. Is it going to be broadcast?
It was broadcast last year - it has resurfaced due to an earlier post . It seems to have got more coverage under it's own steam this time!

LDN Lee

Post by LDN Lee » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:32 pm

That's funny I'm sure i've seen fishermen down at christchurch quay before.Turns out they like using both too.

harrywatson

Post by harrywatson » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:45 pm

I like the way he says " They can go and paddle in Poole, Christchurch Harbour, Or chichester."

Well why dont you go sea fishing then.

dhkayaking

Post by dhkayaking » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:27 pm

Only access to 3% of rivers..never heard such maddness
that rae dude could do with a kick up the ****!
i know what he would be told here in ireland

best of luck with this issue

Gromit :D

Post by Gromit :D » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:58 pm

This is quiete good - presents the issue realy simpley and clearly and reasnobly balanced as well. Blimey even I get it ;)

However
a) Its been said before but I see loads of wildlife in my boat! Often in unlikely places... a kingfisher at Burrs, the 1st time I saw it I haveing a brillinat time helping lead a trip of young 'difficult' teenagers from Rochdale who tbh will probaly never see one again, and where having fun doing something new at the same time.
b) Lots of paddlers and clubs "give something back" do river clean ups and the like. Often retre veing discarded fishing gear.

"Anglers are the only people that realy understand what goes on beneath that shiney surfice"
As a geographer I have to disagree!! And Im sure the eviromental surveyers and EA will do as well.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise that we cant eat money.

Native American saying

buck197

Post by buck197 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:28 pm

The guy fishing who said only anglers knew what was going on underwater was so full of himself and what does he do to add to the environment except leave his hooks and traces in bushes. The landowner is a definite "nimby" character who had a permanent scowl and an arrogant air about him. Nice people eh!!!
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

quicky

Post by quicky » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:16 pm

Yep apparently kayaks disturb animals and they won't go anywhere near you.

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:45 am

I had a Seal try and do that to the front of my Big EZ, boy did we both get a surpirse!

c.blyth

Post by c.blyth » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:21 am

Is it me when they mention how delicate the eco system is in the river, they are the ones destroying it by fishing it?!?!? Then they say it the paddlers for simply floating by...

Croft

Post by Croft » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:34 am

Your man who says that canoeists and kayakers can sometimes disturb the dicky birds does have a shred of a point. On rivers that are not paddled often, you can end up chasing herons etc. down stream. I have the impression however, that on rivers that are paddled regularly, the bird life get used to kayakers and ends up ignoring us. On the Ticino river in Italy (which is a nature reserve) you can paddle really close to the birds and they dont seem to bother (maybe they are nailed down? like the parrot in Monty Python). Is there a recommended kayaking technique to avoid scaring the dicky birds? Maybe its just ugly old me that frightens them?

At the same time one has to ask ones-self if the poor fishies are not more than a little perturbed to be hauled out of the river by sharp barbed metal stuck through their cake-hole, undergoing minor surgery (hook extraction), having their mugshot taken, then thrown back in for the next punter.
Ian Beecroft - old-timer amateur boater

Peter Holgate

Post by Peter Holgate » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 am

Croft wrote:At the same time one has to ask ones-self if the poor fishies are not more than a little perturbed to be hauled out of the river by sharp barbed metal stuck through their cake-hole, undergoing minor surgery (hook extraction), having their mugshot taken, then thrown back in for the next punter.
Why stop at Barbel when you can catch cats
Funniest Angling Moment:
Watching a mate trying to unhook a cat he’d foul-hooked on a back cast. It wasn’t having any of it
http://www.onlinefishing.tv/articles/pr ... rticle/12/

They will be blocking access to your own gardens soon so they can claim cat angling rights!!

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:44 pm

The birds we most often chase down the rivers are Goosander, which the fishermen would be happy about as they want to cull them as apparently they eat fish!

Herons etc will generally fly downstream before doubling back upstream around us.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

The Old Prospector

Post by The Old Prospector » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:31 pm

When he sees the birds fly away, he knows it is because a boat is coming down - do they fly differently if it is an angler walking down the bank to his chosen spot, or a rambler, dog walker, etc?
Damien

ElliotK

Post by ElliotK » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:27 am

buck197 wrote:The guy fishing who said only anglers knew what was going on underwater was so full of himself and what does he do to add to the environment except leave his hooks and traces in bushes. The landowner is a definite "nimby" character who had a permanent scowl and an arrogant air about him. Nice people eh!!!
True, I'm pretty glad that came across in the video tbh

Sharpen

Post by Sharpen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:34 am

When I moved to the area, the very first evening that I paddled on the Avon with Salisbury Canoe Club, we had to release a duck from a lost fishing line. The hook had gone through its tongue, which was badly swollen. I would be surprised if the duck survived. There is masses of fishing debris left hanging from trees which is unsightly, dangerous to wildlife and canoeists.

Each Club night, even on the areas of the river under an access agreement, we often hear fishermen grumbling as we pass.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”