Where did we all go boating with this rain this weekend?

Inland paddling
cswalker

Where did we all go boating with this rain this weekend?

Post by cswalker »

So with all the rain what did everyone do? Any carnage? Any cool drops done?

SteveJ

Wear

Post by SteveJ »

Wearhead to Stanhope attempted ending up doing Eastgate to Stanhope. Somebody forgot to pack the chainsaws. River huge and looking ready to eat any passing kayakers

Rockrat

Paddling?

Post by Rockrat »

Hia,

Didn't go paddling anywhere -decided the water levels would be to demanding for an enjoyable paddle and the wind was a bit bad around us for travelling with boats on the roof. Fixed up some floodlight instead.
Iain Robinson
rockratrobinson

ol

Post by ol »

We decided North Wales, our original Saturday destination, after a bit of last minute advice and shuffling would be just too high for our group.

Headed off to Mid-Wales and ended up on the Upper Wye which was pretty full, this unfortunately washed out a lot of the features making for a very fast-flowing but fairly flat paddle in most parts. There were some nice big wave-trains and such but the water was too high. It had dropped about a foot when the car was collected after the run, would have been better i think.

We then headed to the Edw, what a drive-in that is. Very surprisingly, that was pretty bony. There were a couple of real good drops near the beginning, but then it was a real slog to be honest until right near the end. Got off as dusk fell, very tired and a little regretful that we didn't go North.

Martyn Hartley

Weekend

Post by Martyn Hartley »

Couldn't get out Sat, but had a good day today - went first to Hebden Water, but decided against it as there wasn't enough water! (Are you proud of us Chris?). Instead drove up the Dales for a look round before picking the Ribble. (Terry Storry's "best rapid in England" - Two Bridges.) Had a great trip no access hassles, not many on the river (3 or 4 groups) and great water

willsc1

Post by willsc1 »

Strapped myself in and had a great sess on the best WW in the UK. Water level at its best for a year or two, kept the crowds away.
Where? Oh, that would be telling.

Jim

Post by Jim »

I did some varnishing

JIM

Kwantas

funny you should ask...

Post by Kwantas »

"So with all the rain what did everyone do? Any carnage? Any cool drops done?"

Paddled through the streets of carlisle assisting firemen and coastguard with evacuations.
3000 evacuations = alot of 1st floor houses totally ruined kept hittin friggin cars parked in the middle of the road just below water line.
thought about doing a cool step seal launch in the firestation but does that look proffesional?
Tim Kwant

ERU

Post by ERU »

Jim wrote:I did some varnishing

JIM
Sounds like me - i was repairing a broken cam belt :/

Andy_L

North Wales

Post by Andy_L »

Just back from a superb weekend of boating in North Wales with McDoom et al.

Yesterday - Two superb spate runs down the Ogwen. On the first run the Gun Barrel looked very BIG (no one ran it). By the second run the levels had dropped and a few people ran the Gun Barrel. The Ogwen reminded me of the Lower Guisane in high water.

Today - the levels had dropped, so we did the Conwy. I did the upper Conwy down to Penmacho bridge. The others did the Upper and Fairy Glen. The Fairy Glen was still pretty high.

Andy

kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Yep, just made it back from North Wales and what a weekend, Ogwen on Saturday morning was the biggest I have seen it, right over the banks and flowing through the fields. We almost couldn't get to Ogwen bank as the road into the ogwen valley was closed due to flooding - luckily we ignored advice and the cars just made it through submerged the road. Gun barrel was just about unrunnable due to trees and the final stopper that looked angry and pushed you straight into more overhanging trees - yuck - we got on below and frenetically straight lined the lot - what fun.

We went back for a second go and this time ran the gun barrel - highest I've ever done it and got surfed in the first hole for a worryingly long time - splendid!

Also ran the Fairy glen at the highest we have done it so far - we were quite pleased with our progress until Bleddyn Lloyd sailed past us on a solo mission! he straight lined the lot pretty much but apparently had a slighlty extended stay in the stopper below fairy falls.

Bumped into James F and Elaine on the way back - they had escaped the in-laws and manged to run the Dee which was also super high.

Great weekend

Kevin

ccc

cumbria

Post by ccc »

the place to be - boaters on the Greta yesterday (mad) and more today at a perfect level. Irthing and crammel linn today - awesome, just seen the video, but all the nasty bumps ironed out. School closed tomorrow - no power - there is a god.

nicbob

Post by nicbob »

My housemates did the Greta today and came back with smiles several miles wide.
I had to stay in and do work
"It was great!! You'd have really loved it!" They said, trying very hard to rub it in.
B*****ds
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Rockrat

Re: cumbria

Post by Rockrat »

ccc wrote:the place to be - boaters on the Greta yesterday (mad) and more today at a perfect level.
Was this bridge in tact when you paddled the Greta.
Still not paddled the Greta, not so sure about doing it now with a bridge down over the river.

There are loads of pictures of the floods in and around Keswick at The Lake District Today
Iain Robinson
rockratrobinson

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Impressive pics - Derwent Water and Bassenthwaite Lake have joined into one body of water!
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Tom Saffell

melte

Post by Tom Saffell »

went to south wales. was expecting lots of water. found relatively little. all forecasts (including US navy) were wrong. oh well.

had planned on doing Tawe - inspected, but not enough water to make worth while according to rich (bown). went over to melthe. was on 7 when we got on - nice level. few trees, few portages. put in below the two silly falls. what a great start to the river. seal launch 10 foot upstream of the first 15 foot drop. nice. only one (cucc2stu) ran the big fall (on a right angle bend). he got a perfect boof. of course, he didn't intend to boof it at all. his back is ok(ish) but i dont think he'll do it again in a hurry.

there is a very silly looking rapid where a lot of water falls directly onto alot of rock (near the bottom of the gorge). we walked, but apparently people run it. i can't see it myself, maybe at a different level?

was on a 6 when we got off. would definately run again.

cursed myself for not having bought a pentax digital camera. would have been just the job. loads of light, bright sun day, picturesque rapids. oh well....

tom saffell

Scuba Steve

Mellte

Post by Scuba Steve »

Was it this drop?

Sorry, don't reallly know how to post images, but it may work???[/img]

cucc2stu

Post by cucc2stu »

Well I was aiming for something about, or maybe a little under, 45 degrees but a combination of drop kicking out and over zealous departure stoke ended up very flat in some fairly solid water. Back is still quite painfull tending towards very painful in the mornings - I think it's getting better, but not quite as fast as I hoped it might. I refuse to believe there is anything wrong with it more than a bit of buising - the drop isn't 'that' high. If I went to see a doctor he might tell me not to do stuff.

I know this is something of a stupid stubborn attitude, but it's not that bad... the only time I've ever broken a bone was a rib, whilst on the river, and I was told there was no treatment but not to do stuff, or so I guessed with my poor French knowledge. I continued to do stuff anyway and have suffered no ill effects.
Stuart

Scuba Steve

Wrong address!!

Post by Scuba Steve »

Sorry, pants at this image thing, try again!!

El Pres

Lune

Post by El Pres »

Had a blast down the Lune on Saturday, thought about running one of the tribs, but with all the fallen trees about didnt fancy ending up in a strainer. So decided to paddle something a bit wider, with at least a chance of paddling round them.

Ran the Rawthey confluence section as well, walked both weir’s deciding to see a little more of 2005, the second one having "the chicken shoot" on the far left guarded by a fallen tree in the water. Please note

Great day on some big water

Tom Saffell

yep

Post by Tom Saffell »

yep, that's the drop, but the water level looks different.

at the level we saw it, the line that your man there is taking would break an ankle or two i think.

tom

cucc2stu

Post by cucc2stu »

Indeed looking at it on Sat there appeared the possibility not just of falling on rock but roostering up from some vertical pin potential. I guess it was just a lot of water bouncing back up of the rock? Walking seemed the sensible option, particularly with my newly painful back.

An interesting question. When on the way down a large drop you have time to get that thought - this is going to be a little flat - do you just curl yourself up tighter forward and hope possibly sending the boat flatter, or to you stamp down and lean back to try and increase the angle but risk land your back on the cockpit rim? I've heard both suggested, but haven't yet been tempted to test the laying back option to see if I can get enough angle...
Stuart

Mark R

Re: yep

Post by Mark R »

Tom Saffell wrote:yep, that's the drop
It's lousy and boney in low water. In high water the drop is smoothed out a lot...but the current drives you quite hard towards the opposite undercut cliff.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Poke

Usually...

Post by Poke »

An interesting question. When on the way down a large drop you have time to get that thought - this is going to be a little flat - do you just curl yourself up tighter forward and hope possibly sending the boat flatter, or to you stamp down and lean back to try and increase the angle but risk land your back on the cockpit rim? I've heard both suggested, but haven't yet been tempted to test the laying back option to see if I can get enough angle...
Usually i try and tuck up.. Figure that if you mis calculate with the leaning back option its gonna hurt a hell of a lot more... (and leaning forward always looks better on camera ;-)

Jim

Post by Jim »

cucc2stu wrote:An interesting question. When on the way down a large drop you have time to get that thought - this is going to be a little flat - do you just curl yourself up tighter forward and hope possibly sending the boat flatter, or to you stamp down and lean back to try and increase the angle but risk land your back on the cockpit rim? I've heard both suggested, but haven't yet been tempted to test the laying back option to see if I can get enough angle...
Alternatively rock onto one edge or the other (based on which side your paddle is ready to brace) so the boat slices in on it's edge rather than pancaking. Not guaranteed to do the trick but probably the least risky option, and if you get in the habit of always throwing an edge as you go over drops you won't have to try and alter declivity in mid air and when you do meet a drop that demands landing on edge you won't have any concerns about falling in it doing it :D

JIM

Tony B

Melte Slot And Drop

Post by Tony B »

That drop does go in lower water than in the photo and yes it does look like an ankle breaker, however if you have enought speed and hit it left of center heading slightly left the nose of you boat tends to drive through OK - the danger of course is back looping in the slot (v.easy to do) and landing this fall on your head - seen a couple of folk just amke a roll on the lip...

Tony B

Correction

Post by Tony B »

Above should have read right of center heading slightly right doh !

FreshAl

Post by FreshAl »

also goes hard left, heading left, Land in the eddy. Seen it done center right, getting enough speed to miss the rock shelf it lands on, but that doesn't work.

mharrall

Re: boof

Post by mharrall »

declivity
Now there's a good word. What's it mean?

Martin

Jim

Re: boof

Post by Jim »

mharrall wrote:
declivity
Now there's a good word. What's it mean?

Martin
Sorry dude, that's a trade secret. I could tell you but then you would be able to do my job and I wouldn't have one :D

JIM

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”