Best way to protect fibre glass paddles?

Inland paddling
R.C.Anderson

Best way to protect fibre glass paddles?

Post by R.C.Anderson » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:44 pm

I have had a set of Fibre Glass Werner Sherpa paddles for about 6 months now, but the edges are rather more battered than I would expect after 6 months. I am therefore looking for people's opinions on the best way to protect them from chips etc, I thought about buying some kevlar tape to put around the edges, but I want other people's opinions on if this a good idea, or if there's a better method.

Cheers in advance,
Rich

Kayacb

Re: Best way to protect fibre glass paddles?

Post by Kayacb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:50 pm

In all seriousness, just don't hit so many rocks..... I've had a set of Sidekicks for 5 years now, they're proberbly player sized about now but it's the nature of the beast. You could put tape around the edge but it will affect the feel of the paddle. If you really want to put something on the edge try gaffa tape first to see how the blades differ before sticking on something you can't remove.

Alex

mole

Post by mole » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:51 pm

This may be harsh but the best way to protect paddles...Hit fewer rocks.

Otherwise sand down the rough bits and accept the fact that they'll wear down, no other options IMO.

edit; oops beaten to it
Sometimes it's just too much effor......aughhh

Ollieswims!

Post by Ollieswims! » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:24 pm

I've got this problem as well. So did my friend until he bought new Werner's. His had lost two inches off each blade! I might put some duck tape on the ends to see how it affects performance then i'll look into kevlar if its alright.

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Put kevlar cord on the edge with epoxy resin.
Lost your job? Wife ran off with your best mate? Bailiffs coming for the Audi? Thinking of topping yourself? Dont call the Samaritans, come for a paddle.
3 cheers for rap music.........Hip hop.................

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:04 pm

mole wrote:This may be harsh but the best way to protect paddles...Hit fewer rocks.

Otherwise sand down the rough bits and accept the fact that they'll wear down, no other options IMO.

edit; oops beaten to it
Classic!

eeonz

Post by eeonz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:40 pm

My fibre glass blades take a beating as well - more scraping my way up shallow eddies than bashing rocks. Araldite around the edges works well in a kind of sacrificial way, The araldite wears down instead of the edge of your paddle - but you have to keep an eye on it and keep reapplying it.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

banburypaddler

Post by banburypaddler » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:20 pm

I've used the araldite option on wing paddles. I've also adaldited a thin strip of metal down the inside edge of each blade. Alters the feel of the paddles a bit, but work OK.

R.C.Anderson

Post by R.C.Anderson » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:45 pm

Hmm, I was concerned about how much it changed the feel of the blades. I might give gaffa tape a go and see how much it differers, but I might just leave it as it's not so much a problem at the moment as I'm now at Uni I'm paddling HPP and in the pool the majority of the time, the only problem is that going back to paddle with my club at home at xmas the river is no more than about 15-20cm deep in parts. But maybe I'll get lucky and the water will be high enough during the winter to save my paddles.

I'll see how the water is when I get home (about 2 weeks) and if I choose to give gaffa tape/kelvar tape a go, then I'll post the results here for anyone that's interested for their own purpose.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:55 pm

I think gaffa tape around the edges will change the feel of the blades substantially. Unfortunately, wear is a characteristic of glass blades, and it will begin to show over time. I used to use a glass set of blades that wore down significantly over a few years, eventually reaching a point where there was a noticeable lack of power transfer.

If you are paddling rivers where bashing off rocks is unavoidable, then your options are; accept that you will wear your paddles down quickly, use an old set of expendable paddles, or paddle rivers with more water in them.

Welshkate

Post by Welshkate » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 pm

My werners are 4 years old and I've lost 1 inch off one side and 2 inches off the other- getting towards greenland paddle stauts. I even belt sanded them once to get rid of the fiberglass splinters. Gaffa tape definately affects the weight and feel of the paddle.If you decide to go with it though and want really good adhesion, get a hairdryer on it after you've stuck it on; you'll have a hard time getting it back off.

-Kate

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Leave them in the car?

Seriously, use an old set of paddles where you are going to be bashing/scraping them over rocks, and keep your best paddles for proper rivers where you can paddle round the rocks. I use my old worn out werners on burns and my lendals on rivers, the lendals are fine.

a boy named sue

Post by a boy named sue » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:58 pm

Get some Lendal N12 blades, will never wear!! Mine have lasted years, only had two new shafts and four blades.

RVabdn

Post by RVabdn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Richard Veitch

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”