Fun Day

Inland paddling
jaglover

Fun Day

Post by jaglover »

I would like to organise a fun day to raise money for the Cumbria Flood Fund, I thought of a day at somwhere like Burrs (River Irwell at Bury) where all levels of skill can have a mess about and just a damn good lark about for the day. minimum £5 contribution for the day. If enough people were interested we could probably raise £1k or more and raise the paddling profile in a positive way, the sooner the better (1st weekend in December?). Open to all, TRC, UKRGB, any canoe clubs and any visitors that may be interested. If anybody has any spare kit in reasonable condition we could raffle it and add the proceeds. It would make a nice Chrissy present for the people in Cumbria that will be having a tough time this year when most of us lucky buggers still have dry homes and look forward to Christmas instead of dreading it as I am sure some of the people affected by the floods will be. I want it to be a fun day, if the numbers are high safety needs to be paramount, the last thing I want would be somebody getting hurt on a day aimed at helping others (by that I mean keep an eye out for less experienced paddlers on a busy river, which most of us do anyway). If it goes ahead I will put £50 in the kitty to get it started. Let me have your thoughts.

Reg

paddledragger

Re: Fun Day

Post by paddledragger »

This is a great idea methinks.

Would it be better posted in Dates and Events though?

RichA

Post by RichA »

Great idea. Maybe chuck in a BBQ or something as well to keep people warm on a cold day, and to bring in a few extra pennies?

jaglover

Post by jaglover »

RichA wrote:Great idea. Maybe chuck in a BBQ or something as well to keep people warm on a cold day, and to bring in a few extra pennies?
not sure about the BBQ as there is a cafe at Burrs and don't want to step on any toes. Glad you like the idea tho

harrywatson

Post by harrywatson »

You could consider contacting all of the paddle sports companies and asking for raffle dontations Im sure people wouldnt mind paying say 5 quid for a raffle ticket for a boat or something.

jaglover

Post by jaglover »

harrywatson wrote:You could consider contacting all of the paddle sports companies and asking for raffle dontations Im sure people wouldnt mind paying say 5 quid for a raffle ticket for a boat or something.
on my to do list, cheers H

Diamond Dave

Post by Diamond Dave »

Good idea. Maybe quite a large ask to organise and publicise in such a short space of time though!
(And make sure it doesn't clash with the Adventure Paddler Weekend...
Dave Burne
Full Facers - the way forward!
http://www.fourbordersexpedition.com

Alpha T

Post by Alpha T »

Not sure our club can make the Fun day but we our club are coming up to Keswick for our Xmas bash... quite happy to run a raffle there and contribute to the fund...
Trevor
SOAK

harrywatson

Post by harrywatson »

You could also sell raffle tickets through here, that means people who cant come up, can still contribute, sounds good.

jaglover

Post by jaglover »

Please see Fun Day in trips and events for further information

Reg (Jaglover)

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

jaglover

Post by jaglover »

Diamond Dave wrote:Good idea. Maybe quite a large ask to organise and publicise in such a short space of time though!
(And make sure it doesn't clash with the Adventure Paddler Weekend...
Dave

Please see dates and events

Reg

Glyn B

Post by Glyn B »

Bump! Because you know you want to help?

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

The North West Charity Paddle is looking like a great day. We have over fifteen donations for the raffle worth upto roughly £2000. Each prize will be raffled of individually aswel.

Have a look at the website we have made for further information: www.northwestcharitypaddle.wordpress.com

And it's all gone a bit Facebook.com too

Glyn B

Post by Glyn B »

Bump

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

The fun day is looking like a quality day with less than two weeks to go.

We have confirmed prizes from over fifteen companies who have supported and donated prizes towards our raffle with 25+ quality prizes. Would just like to take this minute to say a big thank you to the people who have helped us out and supported us so far, speaking for myself, Reg and Bren there I'm sure.

Our latest link is with Fresh Fish, the cool helmet pimping company who make some funky t-shirts, hoodies and custom made stickers. Thanks to Kev and Gen.

We will be updating our web presence regularly to keep you all in the loop. Less than two weeks to go and 25 places available in the bunkhouse. Remember, first come first served and booking essential. Please PM me, or contact us on charitypaddle@mail.com to book your cosy bed for the night (16th Jan).

Thank you for reading, spread the word, keep supporting.

http://www.northwestcharitypaddle.wordpress.com

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

URGENT ANNOUNCEMENT

www.northwestcharitypaddle.wordpress.com

Hello everyone. We have had to make a tough decision regarding the North West Chairty Paddle and the weather conditons. We have decided that it is best cause to prospone the charity paddle to the 7th February 2010.

We hope you'll understand why and we would really appreciate it if you could pass the news onto as many people as possible. It will be a big task to contact everyone but one that needs doing, so please, spread the word.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused and hope you will support us on the 7th February.

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Glyn B

Post by Glyn B »

Will do and well done for taking the sensible route!

RichA

Post by RichA »

Will pass it on.

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

RichA wrote:Will pass it on.
Thanks Rich.

Accomodation is available on the Saturday night still (6th Feb) for £5pp all money raised from this goes into the pot aswel.

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

3.5 hours....hmmmmm

Might find a second reason to get down that way...

Well done chaps!
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Ryan P wrote:3.5 hours....hmmmmm

Well done chaps!
Beer or two on the Saturday night.
Chance to win a 2010 Jackson Kayak
Chance to win a IR Comp cag
Chance to win another twenty or so prizes
The potential to paddle the world class Irwell
Door step Creeking on Manchesters finest, Lead Mines Clough, Healey Dell, Etherow, Heydon Brook...
What more could you want...to share a bed with me? :-)

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott »

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind wrote: What more could you want...to share a bed with me? :-)
Is this offer open to anyone or just Ryan?

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Rdscott wrote:
Ricks-Freestyle-Mind wrote: What more could you want...to share a bed with me? :-)
Is this offer open to anyone or just Ryan?
Depends on the highest offer. All money raised will go into the fund. :-)

Jim

Post by Jim »

Ryan P wrote:3.5 hours....hmmmmm

Well done chaps!
My brother may still have friends down that way - do you know him?

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak »

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind wrote:What more could you want...to share a bed with me? :-)
Rick, Ryan is not a pretty sight in the morning, trust me, I know :-)

Love ya really Ryan BNIAGW. Get yerself down here, I am sure we can squeeze some Lakes boating in on the Saturday.

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Hahahah just saw this.

Jim, not sure if I know your brother, I'm terrible with names and memory is very hazy these days.

RFM.....the thought has given me a stonner.... (Scottish term for.....)

Bren, just sent you a PM....as disturbing as it is that you know how I look in the morning...you might have to see my ugly mug again....hmmm quite fancy a wee trip south for the banter.

:o)
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak »

Ryan P wrote:Hahahah just saw this.

Jim, not sure if I know your brother, I'm terrible with names and memory is very hazy these days.

RFM.....the thought has given me a stonner.... (Scottish term for.....)

Bren, just sent you a PM....as disturbing as it is that you know how I look in the morning...you might have to see my ugly mug again....hmmm quite fancy a wee trip south for the banter.

:o)
Just got your message Ryan and I have spoken with RFM, he is soooo excited at the thought of meeting you. He has already started warming his sleeping bag in readiness. It looks like we will be hitting the dancefloors of Bury on the Saturday night also, (god help us).

It looks like the date change is shaping up to be a blessing in disguise as we have had a couple of new confirmations for presentations from guests who couldn't make the original date.
The fun day team are meeting up tommorow night to finalise a few things after which we should be able to let everyone know what we have in place.

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

PeakFreak wrote:It looks like we will be hitting the dancefloors of Bury on the Saturday night also, (god help us).
We'll have to WD40 your zima-frame Bren, get it fully functioning. Probably not been used since the Christmas buffet! :-)
Ryan P wrote:a wee trip south for the banter.
Have you heard this guy?!?! Can't fail, home turff, challenge on.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”