Inland paddling
magictom

Post by magictom »

Sorry Mark... he started it!

Randy Fandango

Feisty!!!

Post by Randy Fandango »

Blimey you two, calm down!
(Did I just say "blimey"?? Help. I've turned into a Grange Hill script, circa 1982)
Yes its annoying to get run down by a raft even when its not their fault because they're so big and somehow it just seems unfair in some illogical way.
Its good to know the rubber bus drivers are trained to miss paddlers. Actually its not so surprising I guess since most of them are experienced paddlers too.
Please play nice on the forum here because as much as I like a good punch up (who doesn't??) I don't think this is really the place for it!
Please feel free to knock me down :-)

Mark R

Re: Feisty!!!

Post by Mark R »

Randy Fandango wrote:Please play nice on the forum here because as much as I like a good punch up (who doesn't??) I don't think this is really the place for it!
I chatted with Herr Westgarth (note seamless name drop) the other night about this phenomenon...we both agreed that the degree of animation and positive energy of this here forum is inversely proportional to the dryness of the rivers.

In other words, we need desperately need some rain, otherwise this will all degenerate into a Waco-style bloodbath by Thursday.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Randy Fandango

Water.

Post by Randy Fandango »

PLEASE GOD LET IT RAIN SOON!!!!!!
Though not in Barcelona this week where I for one will be enjoying the tapas, Gaudi and Spanish wine and lager for a few days. Thank you Easy Jet!
Giles

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer »

some drizzle here in Glasgow, should make for some fun at the weekend..... we shall see. Will be happy to let you all know, if my hands have recovered from the 'pasting/stripping' that they recieved at Polzeath. A tad sore, I can tell you!
Neil Farmer.

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

ol wrote:Tryweryn was busy saturday...
As we discussed only a few days ago, downstream traffic has right of way everywhere in the known universe. (The Nene is excluded from this of course.) Rafts especially have right of way because they are much less manoeuvrable than kayaks and they're usually crewed by beginners. So if you insist on cartwheeling in a hole with a blind approach on a busy weekend, and your mates don't care to look out for you - expect to be reminded of the above the hard way...
Steve Balcombe

tomcrow99

this weekend.....

Post by tomcrow99 »

Nimah Tompkins rodeo at Full James, was all good!

also managed too squeeze in this little ditch on the way too the pub on saturday night: http://groups.msn.com/BigFish-LittleFis ... hotoID=103

Hmm really missing the uk at the moment:)

later

Tom

NickB

Post by NickB »

Tryweryn was busy saturday...
It may be worth taking a lesson from the sea here, it doesn't matter what the rule is (ie power gives way to sail, supertanker gives way to dinghy, I think not) the rule is if it is going to hurt you get out of the way sharpish (dinghy/kayaker gives way to supertanker and kayaker gives way to everything except maybe, just maybe a speed bump!).
Last edited by NickB on Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

Jim

Post by Jim »

neilfarmer wrote:some drizzle here in Glasgow, should make for some fun at the weekend..... we shall see. Will be happy to let you all know, if my hands have recovered from the 'pasting/stripping' that they recieved at Polzeath. A tad sore, I can tell you!
Ooh that's dry!

There are a currently a number of severe weather warnings in force concerning heavy rain, and I don't recall seeing a puddle at the bottom of my street before like the one that was there this morning....

However, for me it's the force 5-9 winds that are going to make getting home difficult, not sure how I cycled here into them, guess it must have been still picking up!

Anyone looked at the Kelvin today (obviously I'm thinking of Douglas and Tony...)???????

loz

need some advise on the scotish river levals

Post by loz »

We are planning a trip to fort William from Thursday to Sunday this week. Does any one know what the river levels are currently like. Also if this weather front brings the rivers up today how long do the rivers tend to stay in condition?

Thanks loz

woody

fort billyo

Post by woody »

Yup, come to the fort its lashing down right now and forecast to continue.
Why am I not paddlin? My mates thought I was at falls of Lora, like its forecast force 8-9 doh, so they went rivering without me. Bugr. Got my creek boat fixed(ish), anybody fancy paddlin the creek in my back yard? I think its been done before, doesnt look too hard??

check out
http://www.sepa.org.uk/data/river_levels/data.htm
and
http://www.scot-canoe.org/levels/wtw.html

woody

woody

Fort Billyo forgot this

Post by woody »

loz

Post by loz »

T
hanks Woody very helpful, so you don’t think it will all run of by Thursday.

Can’t wait. Cheers Loz

paul at work

Post by paul at work »

It appears that some one paddled at the weekend, but where is it?

http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/rcc/canoe/pho ... pand=3,122

woody

fort billyo just one more link

Post by woody »

forgot this one, ben nevis webcam, gives you a good idea what its like

http://www.visit-fortwilliam.co.uk/webc ... _00001.jpg

loz

Post by loz »

Paul The Aberglaslyn Gorge North Wales

Cheers - Loz

loz

Post by loz »

Woody - Nice one

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

paul at work wrote:but where is it?
Aberglaslyn Gorge.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Pete C.

evil rafters!

Post by Pete C. »

Nobody was breaking out, nobody was missing the breakout by accident.
I was and I wasn't - I broke out on every run I made on Saturday and on Sunday, unless I was signalled through by another guide. As Tom says, it's part of the centre policy. I don't generally like running over paddlers because I paddle myself, and I'd consider it pretty rude if someone ran me over.

Pete.

paul at work

Post by paul at work »

paul at work wrote:
but where is it?

Aberglaslyn Gorge.

i thought so, but wasn't sure as i have never done it! It looks good, but i take it that it is low?

tom_d

Post by tom_d »

pissing down in glasgow the kelvin wave is running, looks good

ol

Post by ol »

magictom wrote:Oh Ol, I forgot to ask; what are the potential consequences if I fail to " zip it"?
Jeez dude, no consequences. now thats enough of your macho posturing hidden behind polite sentences, i was just trying to discuss something on this 'discussion' forum and didn't expect such a rude and unnecessary counter comment. Perhaps you could ignore any future comments/threads you find so droll.

I see your point though, i know this has been discussed before and i hate to bring it up again, but so have a hell of a lot of things on this forum. It is by nature a transient audience so don't get so upset by repetition.

Friend was not cartwheeling in the hole, he only started this from a sidesurf in an attempt to get out when the raft begun bearing down on him. I paddle there a lot and am usually only too aware of the problems the guides have on such a busy site, i just got annoyed on this occassion as it seems to me that it would be very simple on this particular rapid to stand up briefly at the top and be able to see any people at the bottom before committing to the rapid.

Anyway, i think Mark and Simon are on to a good theory about the lack of water......

magictom

Post by magictom »

Ol, sorry for the rude reply and "macho posturing", the macho posturing I'm afraid was intended since I found your comment of "zip it" both rude and antagonistic. The inital rude reply however wasn't, it was simply intended as a comment that a) the rafts do follow procedure on this rapid and that ( in my currently limited knowledge since I havne't been to Tryweryn for a while now, although I am still a director of a rafting operation on the river) most of the guides are professional and not likely to cause conflict with kayakers intentionally and b) to inform you that there is recourse to this problem readily available on site and that these problems are dealt with seriously.

On a slight tangent I have always thought it strange that in the U.K. kayakers percieve raft groups pretty much the way fishermen percieve kayakers; load, obnoxious and generally a hindrance to our personal enjoyment. We should remember that without such raft groups there wouldn't be regular releases from Celyn dam ( rafting is often used to purchase an "additional release" from the dam) and then there really would be no water.

ol

Post by ol »

Fair enough, no offence mean't, and i see you point(s).

ccc

weekend paddling

Post by ccc »

desperate for some action - paddled the Nith. Floatable both days and interestingly technical -especially in the topo duo dave and katie were paddling. Major step for me after accident (one capsize and microsecond roll !) there was also a huge scheduled wildwater race with 50ish paddlers, with only one kevlar boat broken in two on the bank - how do they do it? I suppose thats why they finish well before the gorge (or george as their organiser called it?!)

neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer »

The Kinglas (argyll) and Array (Inverarray) were huge today.
There appears to be more (heavy) rain forecast for thursday,
lets hope so.
Neil Farmer.

Tim Maud

Post by Tim Maud »

I paddled a Dragon Boat this weekend!
About 1 hour west of Shanghai! Amazing where you'll go to find water!
It really good although don't go with a macho "I'm a paddler how hard can it be" attitude, sprint for 1km and then try and be smug as your lungs exit stage right!

Jim Pullen

Imperial College CC doing Aberglaslyn gorge

Post by Jim Pullen »

I see someone's been looking at our website!
We managed a run of the lower Tryweryn followed by the gorge on Saturday. Gorge was very low but doable. Some people went on to do Stanley playwave on the Sunday, the rest of us opted for a nice walk.

It's difficult to organise trips as a uni club, as you often have to book things like huts and minibuses weeks or sometimes months in advance and then pray for rain! At least we managed to find a couple of things that were running!

paul at work

Post by paul at work »

yeah that was me, my girlfriend emailed me the link, as she is a member of your club. (Becca, her and Poppy both play polo for ULU) We were on the tryweryn on the sunday!

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Rain in Dorset today, at last.

Ah, bliss....
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”