The end is nigh...

Inland paddling
Mark R

The end is nigh...

Post by Mark R »

...no water anywhere, forever.

Did anyone find anything to paddle anywhere last weekend, other than the sea?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

SANDY0728

Bone.......

Post by SANDY0728 »

Dry.

I went to Wales on an Xmas shopping trip...............

Drove over the Llugwy and the Conwy - bone dry. Would have stuggled to float a duck down them!

But there were several boat ladened cars to be seen..............

Sandy.

Jules

Post by Jules »

Luckily the Tryweryn was releasing both days so all was not lost.

Frank B

Post by Frank B »

Everyone was at Tryweryn, never seen it so busy. Even busy on the way down to Bala (yes, it is open !), no trouble getting a lift back up to the though.

I paddled my S6F for the first time (usually use an H2), boy did I struggle, at least I know that I can make a wet exit and that it is fairly easy to roll when not being battered around the head down the graveyard- a long and rough swim

mharrall

Had a bit of water, so Wye not paddle it!

Post by mharrall »

Did the Wye from Builth to Broughrood. Long sections of flat, with the odd grade 2 or 3 here and there. Had a couple of semi novice whitewater paddlers though, and very little else had water anyway, so it was OK. Both novices had a swim, one of them now knows why 'hell hole' is so named :-)

Martin

jonba

Post by jonba »

Tees High force to low force. Low but runnable, I think there was some water being released from the Dam.

ClaireD

Post by ClaireD »

Hmmm well theres some light rain forecast for the middle of the week but i doubt it will do much :-(

How about a mass rain dance everyone? If not the Christmas period may be spent solely at home eating way too much so we wont be able to fit into our boats when the rain does finally come (and I know it will!!!)

nwilko (not logged in)

Get some airbags, swim on your back feet first.

Post by nwilko (not logged in) »

S6F paddler, i fished you out and my mate recovered your boat.
Next time get some airbags, have your mates around you instead of appreaing 10mins later. When swimming dont try to hug rocks mid flow and don't float headfirst downstream.

tom_d

Post by tom_d »

rain forecast this week i think, so should get better.

yeah buy airbags, otherwise your boat will die scudding off the bottom.

cucc2stu

re: The end is nigh

Post by cucc2stu »

Continued with an exploration of the urban and near-urban channels of Oxford. Have found several surprisingly good potential beginners coaching spots and a couple of potential play waves in more water.

Best part was climbing out at the head-of-the-river pub, leaving the boats in the beer garden, taking off the drysuit to reveal normal clothing underneath and going in for a pint.

In these periods of low water it's make your own entertainment time...
Stuart

Jim

Re: Had a bit of water, so Wye not paddle it!

Post by Jim »

mharrall wrote:Did the Wye from Builth to Broughrood. Long sections of flat, with the odd grade 2 or 3 here and there. Had a couple of semi novice whitewater paddlers though, and very little else had water anyway, so it was OK. Both novices had a swim, one of them now knows why 'hell hole' is so named :-)

Martin
I thought there was no access to that section? ;)
Once team raced Builth to Erwood, and then on the second day waiting to get on for the individual the landowner came and stopped the race!
Hell hole, yes it looked quite sticky, but that line - half the river width wide - to the right seemed pretty easy to make to me :)

No paddling for me.

JIM

WangoWarrior not logged

Post by WangoWarrior not logged »

We mangaged a low level run of the Aberglaslyn Gorge, or at least a lot lower than the last time I ran it

Although the river was too low to have paddled the upper section, the gorge was paddleable without scraping and the eddies deep enough to sit in without disturbing the beds. (The two things I always check when making a low water run)

All in all a good short technical paddle with no one else around.

boater rich

Post by boater rich »

Everyone was at Tryweryn, never seen it so busy. Even busy on the way down to Bala (yes, it is open !), no trouble getting a lift back up to the though.
Glad I stayed at home then as that was my backup. Thought most people would have wussed due to the cold. Obviously people are getting desperate!

Rich

Randy Fandango

Danger! Danger!

Post by Randy Fandango »

I found plenty of water with tons of depth.... yes I risked life and limb on that horrendous danger ditch... The River Thames.
Partying all night on a disco boat at the Club LSD Xmas bash. Excellent fun. I'm told the sight of Fandango strutting his stuff is one that lives with you for quite a while....

mharrall

Re hell hole

Post by mharrall »

Jim wrote:
I thought there was no access to that section? ;)
Once team raced Builth to Erwood, and then on the second day waiting to get on for the individual the landowner came and stopped the race!
Hell hole, yes it looked quite sticky, but that line - half the river width wide - to the right seemed pretty easy to make to me :)
There is definitely access for that section, although the regional access officer seems reluctant to answer emails and letters etc. which can make it tricky getting access in the first place.

I didn’t know there was a race over that section. The Wye descent used to run from Builth to Hay back in the 80s though, I did it a number of times in K1s and K2s.

The lack of water meant that hell hole was a 6 foot wide slot n drop with the hole being a scooped out section in the side wall big enough for a swimmer to recirculate in. It wasn’t hard, but one of our novices cocked up a break out he was trying to make at the top and ended up dropping over a step at the top upside-down, then exiting his boat and swimming the slot. He disappeared from our view for a few seconds and we were just starting to worry when he popped out.

Martin

Mark H

Surfing

Post by Mark H »

Sunday we had some cracking surf at Constantine...

Until my mate Dislocated his shoulder and we spent the rest of the day in Truro A&E !

Mark H

Dave Thomas

Wye: Builth - Boughrood

Post by Dave Thomas »

As I understand it, there is access on this stretch past Hell Hole/Erwood, but no access to/from the river at Hell Hole or Erwood bridge.

Dave

mharrall

Correct!

Post by mharrall »

Yes, we paddled about another 2 miles downstream of hell hole to the egress. It's quite a long paddle, 12 miles in total.

Martin

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

the sight of Fandango strutting his stuff is one that lives with you for quite a while....
True, it's a rare treat.

Surely it has to rain soon, it's just waiting till i finish up at uni this weekend then mother nature will let rip with furious anger. Or somehting like that...

richardlsharpe

Post by richardlsharpe »

Etive was a great level. Everything was running, sweet as...

hahahaha to all the southern boaters.

r

ps buy my creeker....

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

John Kettley has promised a change in the weather this week, warmer and wetter by the weekend...
Steve Balcombe

Scooter1969

Post by Scooter1969 »

Well we're off to Scotland boxing day till new year, That means there will be loads of water N Wales, N Yorks, Lakes!!

None West Scotland!!

Fil Ya Boots

scoot

James F

Post by James F »

If you are a Thames Valley person and find that Hurley is on one, I would personally go to Hambleden weir during the Sunday morning Chalfont Park CC session (from 11.00). Hambleden is likely to be on one if Hurley is. Big feeling kicking wave to thrash about on. Good.

ol

Post by ol »

Tryweryn was busy saturday but certainly not as busy as i have ever seen it...

It was definately not such a pleasure to be paddling with the rafters again. There is a huge eddy both sides of the river at the top of the ski jump, someone should tell the raft-guides that this is an ideal place to stop to check if anyone is surfing the stopper at the bottom before plunging down the rapid.

A friend was lucky to cartwheel himself out of the sticky hole just in time before an inconsiderate and dangerous raft guide paddled his shreiking passengers headlong into it without a pause to see if anyone was there. A while later, some poor guy stuck solid in a side-surf in a hot-dog in the same stopper, wasn't so lucky. I think he was a little surprised when the huge rubber object full of people smashed into the side of his body.

Its a busy section of water, we all share it but raft guides, please look before you leap...........

Good day aside from that, it has to rain soon, its not natural.....

magictom

Post by magictom »

Yawn! Another "oh, there I was in a sidesurf and a big raft dropped in on me" winge. Look, it's actually part of the Health and Safety procedures at Tryweryn ( which are followed by ALL rafting operators on the river) that rafts must break out above Ski Jump to ensure that there is noone playing in the hole at the bottom, they have been told during their guide training. If a raft does drop in when you are in the hole then it is probably because they have missed the breakout ( a lamentable but forgivable error) or there has been some kind of problem ( spilled passenger etc) which meant the raft guide chose not to eddy out. Either way it probably wasn't intentional. If you do have a problem with a raft guide take it to the duty manager at ct ( there is always one there) who will find out what happened and act on it to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

I found water this weekend. Big Creek was at a great level...

ol

Post by ol »

magictom wrote:Yawn! Another "oh, there I was in a sidesurf and a big raft dropped in on me" winge. Look, it's actually part of the Health and Safety procedures at Tryweryn ( which are followed by ALL rafting operators on the river) that rafts must break out above Ski Jump to ensure that there is noone playing in the hole at the bottom, they have been told during their guide training. If a raft does drop in when you are in the hole then it is probably because they have missed the breakout
1 - Sorry that my concern for peoples safety is so tiresome.
2- Nobody was breaking out, nobody was missing the breakout by accident.
3-I am not 'wingeing'
4-You however, are wingeing.........zip it.

Jim

Re: Re hell hole

Post by Jim »

mharrall wrote: There is definitely access for that section, although the regional access officer seems reluctant to answer emails and letters etc. which can make it tricky getting access in the first place.

I didn’t know there was a race over that section. The Wye descent used to run from Builth to Hay back in the 80s though, I did it a number of times in K1s and K2s.
Well it was a Uni race, and I think it only happened once but I'm not sure.

As for the access there seemed to be some problem. As far as I could tell the access had been arranged with the former access officer who appeared to have some kind of axe to grind with someone or other. The venue changed 3 times prior to the race so it was hardly a huge surprise when on the second day the landowner turned up and said we didn't have permission to launch from his field (just downstream from Builth). I think if he hadn't screwed the timekeeper up we might have carried on because he was more interested in going for Sunday lunch than actually checking that we all left (well our bus had dropped us and was waiting at the bottom, where else could we go?). It did appear that the egress at Erwood had been properly negotiated, or at least, no-one came to throw us out of it and if I recall it was right in the village. I have to admit the hassle we had that weekend, which appeared to be down to ego's within the local access organisation has meant that I have never considered going back to that part of the world to paddle, I understand the trib we were originally supposed to use is actually a nice run!

JIM

magictom

Post by magictom »

1 - Sorry that my concern for peoples safety is so tiresome.
2- Nobody was breaking out, nobody was missing the breakout by accident.
3-I am not 'wingeing'
4-You however, are wingeing.........zip it.
Sorry Ol, my point was that someone has told the guides on the Tryweryn to always break out, it's written in the Health and Safety documents governing rafting on the river and all guides are well versed in this before they qualify as such on the river.

I do however get vexed by whinges of this nature on this board (and I beg to differ with you but I do believe that you were whinging) since problems with rafts on the Tryweryn can easily be dealt with by informing the duty manager who, when the river is running, is always on site rather than by endless complaining here.

I am amazed at your ability to see both your friend cartwheeling in Ski Jump hole (!) while at the same time witnessing a raft guide upstream missing the break out intentionally. Especially since it is a line of sight problem which causes danger such as this, as you yourself mentioned, in the first place.

magictom

Post by magictom »

Oh Ol, I forgot to ask; what are the potential consequences if I fail to " zip it"?

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Now then, children...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”