sad news

Inland paddling
pickenjohn

Memorial service for Andy

Post by pickenjohn »

For those planning to attend Andy's memorial service the multimap reference to the Kirk Road, Houston is:

Multimap

John P

Mark R

Re: Andy Jackson

Post by Mark R »

Knees wrote:Much of what he did (the World Tour, the SCA guidebook etc...) will have inspired many people who didn't even know him.
Yes. I used to read their World Tour reports at work monthly, wondering how such a trip was possible and wondering how to get out of my job as fast as possible! Directly as a result, the next year I went to Nepal...my first ever foreign boating...and a couple of years on, did my own World Tour. Cheers Andy and co, for that.

I am just sad that despite regular contact with Andy over the last couple of years, I never got to meet him face to face and boat with him.

Some indication of Andy's importance to UK paddlers and paddling might be gleaned from the fact that this is - I think - the most read thread ever on UKRGB.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

markayak2000

a great man

Post by markayak2000 »

i met andy only twice the first was at the scottish canoe exhibition in the 90's he was giving a presentation of one of his many tours i think it was a tour of zimbabwe. the second was paddling with him and paul current at the falls of laura. i felt that he was a genuinly nice guy and was deffinitly an insparation for many. i was about 13 year old and star struck with such a famous boater stood infront of me and for him to invite me along on a trip boating really showed the kind of guy he was always trying to bring on new talant and boost the profile of kayaking

callwild

Post by callwild »

My weekly log on from the desert to keep in touch with back home could not have brought any sadder news. My heartfelt condolences to Bridget and other family.
I will always remember the ready smile and conspirational wink when encouraging you to do something daft, be it hard rapid or another round of late partying. Andy was always welcoming to all who wished to join the adventure.

Stuart Miller

farq

re: sad news

Post by farq »

I only met Andy a few times really. Mainly during the scottish rodeo and the xtreme event a few years ago. He was such an inspiration and despite how little I knew him, his loss has really hit me.

Although he was a fantastic boater, his enthusiasm and warmth for everyone he met was what really touched me.

My thoughts are with Bridget, his family and close friends.

Fearghal

Jacko - kayakojacko

Post by Jacko - kayakojacko »

From the early days the guy who turned up from Scotland and schooled us all at Hurley, to the Scotland trips where Andy would point at a spot on a map 20 k from any road and say that’s a good burn I ran a few weeks back that you should try, to my last meet where Andy talked of a new freestyle site for Fort William with such passion that I knew it would happen, Andy was always inspired, motivated and friendly, when people mistook me for him because of us having the same name I was honoured, that's what I remember.
An unmeassurable loss.
Jacko
Kayakojacko

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Neil Farmer and co dragged a film of Andy boating the River Nevis all the way from Glasgow down to the Adventure Kayaking Evening at the Dart in Devon this weekend. Crowd loved it. Great film, showing a nice guy having a laugh with mates on a classic Scottish ditch.

I liked the bit where he got stuffed on Dead Sheep Falls....wipeouts look amusing from helmet cameras...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Dave.Cuthill

Andy Jackson

Post by Dave.Cuthill »

Andy was one of the best guys you could ever meet. He had a star quality when things get difficult. I paddled with Andy on the falls of Lora and we swapped boats for a laugh. He introduced me to a whole generation of paddlers, I would never have met otherwise. He was an outstanding paddler and communicator. His confidence and aura shone out. I am shocked because I spoke with him at the Perth Exhibition and all seemed to be well. Now, I read he was exhausted. I remember watching him talking to people around him and marvelling at how enthusiastic and positive he was all the time. This rubbed off on everyone he spoke to. He is a shining example to the rest of us. All we can do is try to carry on and be like he showed us, and do our job to the standards that he did his. In action sports it happens that people die, and you have friends who are suddenly gone. This is different. It is a wrenching loss. Heartfelt thoughts of support go to Bridget. It's an awful and unfair thing to have happened.
I am broken up.
Dave Cuthill

colinbell

Sad News

Post by colinbell »

I only ever got the chance to paddle with Andy the once (Falls of Lora) but had the pleasure of spending a couple of drunken evenings in his company at Bridget and Andy's home. He was an inspiration to all associated with boating in Scotland and if I only ever paddle a fraction of the rivers Andy has introduced to the paddling community in Scotland, I'll feel proud to have known him.

Today's memorial service was a fitting tribute to a Great but "Terrible" man! and my love and thoughts go to Bridget and Andy's family.

hamscaff

Post by hamscaff »

I first met andy when he went to ardentinny adventure centre,he was a sight to behold nobody wore a wet suit the way andy did ,it came to just below his knees. I was fortunate to paddle with andy for quite a few years while he was based at ardentinny. Even when he left for pastures new he always remembered all of his friends in cowal. He will be sadley missed a great loss to us all

jay'

Post by jay' »

Came across this page too:
http://www.paddle-people.com/2/people/andy/main.htm

Andy was an inspiration. He was the kind of guy that made us go "hey, I want to do that too". Sharing an eddy with him was something we looked forward to as he was always happy, talkative and helpful. I can't believe he is no longer around.

Jay
Lyon. France.

pickenjohn

Andy's visions

Post by pickenjohn »

I had the privilage of working with Andy over 18 months in his post as Access Officer. Over that time our friendship became as important to me as any friendship forged in the heat of an adventure. Ours journey was an adventure, a constant source of fun. We were like two big kids working out what could be next. He was a constant source of ideas, inspiration, information, contacts and action. I miss him like a brother. My thanks go to Andy for those times and my thoughts to Bridget and his family.

We developed a whole range of visions and ideas for Scottish Paddling, many of them I know are shared by lots of other paddlers. E.G. like Scottish Paddler was a crap medium for communication with paddlers in Scotland. So Andy got it changed and its good; join the SCA for 4 copies per year. We needed a decent membership form, posters, banners paddlers code - Andy did them. Info, advice support - Andy did them. We needed a web site for the river levels. The list goes on.

We had bigger visions. The Fort William play wave, Kinlochleven ww course, the Hydro Campaign, hydro freshets to meet the needs of paddlers, meets and events for paddlers, enough members the SCA could finance an access post irespective of any grant from Scottish Natural Heritage.

To remember Andy lets make these visions work. What you can do now:

join the SCA as supporter £10 or recreational paddler £17. Donate to the SCA access fund. This is to be renamed after Andy.

Have you written about the Braan hydro - do so now to Dr Hugh Insley, Chief Executive, Forest Enterprise Scotland, 1 Highlander Way, Inverness Business Park, INVERNESS IV2 7GB. see http://www.scot-canoe.org

Maybe you have the skills to represent the SCA over the play wave, want to promote an event, work on the hydro campaign - then get in touch john@picken.org.uk or access@scot-canoe.org. With help we can make these and other visions happen. Be around, be part, get involved - be a friend.

John Picken

SCA National Access Coordinator

pickenjohn

Andy's visions - play wave and much more

Post by pickenjohn »

I had the privilage of working with Andy over 18 months in his post as Access Officer. Over that time our friendship became as important to me as any friendship forged in the heat of an adventure. Ours journey was an adventure, a constant source of fun. We were like two big kids working out what could be next. He was a constant source of ideas, inspiration, information, contacts and action. I miss him like a brother. My thanks go to Andy for those times and my thoughts to Bridget and his family.

We developed a whole range of visions and ideas for Scottish Paddling, many of them I know are shared by lots of other paddlers. E.G. like Scottish Paddler was a crap medium for communication with paddlers in Scotland. So Andy got it changed and its good; join the SCA for 4 copies per year. We needed a decent membership form, posters, banners paddlers code - Andy did them. Info, advice support - Andy did them. We needed a web site for the river levels. The list goes on.

We had bigger visions. The Fort William play wave, Kinlochleven ww course, the Hydro Campaign, hydro freshets to meet the needs of paddlers, meets and events for paddlers, enough members the SCA could finance an access post irespective of any grant from Scottish Natural Heritage.

To remember Andy lets make these visions work. What you can do now:

join the SCA as supporter £10 or recreational paddler £17. Donate to the SCA access fund. This is to be renamed after Andy.

Have you written about the Braan hydro - do so now to Dr Hugh Insley, Chief Executive, Forest Enterprise Scotland, 1 Highlander Way, Inverness Business Park, INVERNESS IV2 7GB. see http://www.scot-canoe.org

Maybe you have the skills to represent the SCA over the play wave, want to promote an event, work on the hydro campaign - then get in touch john@picken.org.uk or access@scot-canoe.org. With help we can make these and other visions happen. Be around, be part, get involved - be a friend.

John Picken

SCA National Access Coordinator

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Folk may be interested to hear that these messages were printed out and displayed on the wall of the Village Hall as part of the Memorial Service proceedings for Andy.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Guests

Our condolences...

Post by Guests »

We paddled with Andy a long time ago while he was visiting the U.S. in West Virginia. We camped at the tail waters of the Gauley and paddled the Cranberry the next day. It was a great paddle with a rowdy snowball fight at the take out. He is a great person and we are better off having known him.
peace,
mike feldman & jody dixon

John Laughlin

In rememberance of Andy

Post by John Laughlin »

Gary Tompsett and myself supported by Paul Currant and others are undertaking a run of the Ramsay Round, the epic Scottish Hillrunning Challenge centreing on Glen Nevis and taking in 26 Munro's, 60 miles and 28000ft of ascent, this weekend. (8/9th Jan). This will be dediccated to the memory of Andy who supported gary on his record breaking winter run in 2002. I never knew or met the man but he sounds just like my type of guy, who rung every little drop of excitement and enjoyment out of his short life. I have immense respect for characters of this sort, and I can only hope we do him the slightest bit of justice in our run attempt. Wish us luck

Mark R

Re: In rememberance of Andy

Post by Mark R »

John Laughlin wrote:60 miles and 28000ft of ascent, this weekend....Wish us luck
Good luck! And don't forget your cape and spandex outfit.

Nutters.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Did these superhuman nutters survive the Ramsey Round?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

whatsAroll

Post by whatsAroll »

What a guy, what a life. Wont be forgotten. With all my respects

Chris Jackson

Nephew

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hey you might not beleve me but i am Andy Jacksons Nephew yeah chris jackson and i like to say thanks for all the great coments about my uncle i love him i think hes amaizing i look up to him thank you all and if you would like proff i will can prove it to you

Jules

Re: Nephew

Post by Jules »

Chris Jackson wrote:Hey you might not beleve me but I am Andy Jacksons Nephew yeah chris jackson and I like to say thanks for all the great coments about my uncle I love him I think hes amaizing I look up to him thank you all and if you would like proff I will can prove it to you
No need for proof, your word is good enough. Andy was a great bloke. I hope you follow in his footsteps.

Jules

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

thank you =]

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”