bbc radio four 12pm access exposure

Inland paddling
waverley610

Post by waverley610 »

You and Yours; just been trailed and on in 20minutes:

"new trouble in the countryside right to roam, right to row"

Right to paddle
Canoeists can't get access to over 95% of the rivers and waterways of England and Wales because the right to roam legislation doesn't apply.

waverley610

Post by waverley610 »

mharrall

Listening now!

Post by mharrall »

This is good stuff!

NickB

Post by NickB »

Agreed, in general
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

NickB

Post by NickB »

not so sure about canoe lanes down rivers tho'
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

mharrall

Exposure

Post by mharrall »

Nice to have some exposure, I think we need more of this kind of thing.

Martin

James F

Post by James F »

"Free the Dee" - clever slogan.

Reasonably well balanced. The journalist must must have researched the piece significantly to have got to grips with most of the arguments involved. He must have spoken to the BCU and the Government, in addition to the fish mugger association and jim jayes.

James F

Post by James F »

At last, publicity. Alun Michael probably spilt some tea when he heard that it was getting broadcast.

hhzoombird

Post by hhzoombird »

Canoe lanes is pretty wierd as an idea!
how bizzarre!

what about the story about canoeists deliberately digging up spawning beds with paddles?
Can't believe that could be true - who would do such a thing?
Has anyone heard of that actually happening?
That seemed like a smear campaign really.

Sad about the very final sounding:
"the governement have decided that there will be no 'right to roam' on rivers - its just too costly"

A v good report though. hooray.

waverley610

good stuff

Post by waverley610 »

Certainly made the canoeists sound worse off.
BCU & JJ both interviewed.
Didn't like the anti angling angle, they can fish where they like,
so long as we can paddle past.

hhzoombird

anti angling angle

Post by hhzoombird »

yes, fish where they like.
the following was a strange sentence
"canoeists want to be able to paddle without getting caught in angler's lines"????!???
ye what was that about?
ye, they can fish where they like

Alec

Post by Alec »

Did I hear it right that they like sharing the rivers in Canada because the canoeists wait in an eddy, ask the fisherman where to pass then go past quickly and quietly.

Seems a bit bizarre that they think we wouldn't be able to do that in England and Wales!!

Alec

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_a ... ouandyours

This should play the programme back...I haven't tested it yet, I'm working.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Adrian Cooper

Manners

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Alec

I don't know about you but that's exactly what I do over here.

I don't meet many anglers whilst paddling but 99% of those I do meet are polite, and I am always polite either first or in return.

And that's how it should be.

Adrian

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Dammit, I've just checked the link...it needs stupid 'Real Audio Player' to work, a cursed programme which takes over your whole PC and which I refuse to install.

Other BBC Radio programmes (the Asian Network is a personal fave for after work wind-down) can use 'Windows Media', but not this one for some reason.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Phil.Dunn

Post by Phil.Dunn »

Speaking for myself , the groups i coach / teach are always asked to keep noise levels down as there may be other river users around. I also ask anglers where thay would prefer us to pass IF I see them in time, the report mentions a 'code of conduct' which an angler was on about, I thought we already had that with the 'code' as laid out in the BCU handbook pg 178, or am i missing something ?
I did like the part about access times, when i was a kid I always went fishing early mornings and evenings cos thats when they bite, or have fish feeding habits changed ?

Post by Guest »

guidebook wrote:Dammit, I've just checked the link...it needs stupid 'Real Audio Player' to work, a cursed programme which takes over your whole PC and which I refuse to install.
Get Real (and quicktime) alternative here
http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm

Installs the codecs you need without real player

ol

Post by ol »

Apparently canoeists can disturb or frighten the fish when paddling past, a guy says in this report.

Up until then of course, they had a blissful life swimming along, happily going about their business, broken only by the occasional bite of a morsel of potential food, followed by a yank violently forward, with their whole body weight thrashing and fighting against an enourmous and overpowering force, transfered to them only by a thin coil of metal piercing their fragile lip or internal organs, writhing and snapping for all they are worth, dragged from their watery world, into course netting, encased in alien hands, the barb of the hook plied from their flesh, cradled, gasping, choking for breath while some **** snaps off a flash to record their desperate ordeal unconcerned by what they inflict upon the animal they grasp, only to be thrown back, terrified, traumatised, man-handled and with the unsavoury prospect of a repeat once they start to feed again........

And theres me, paddling past the poor little blighters............

NickB

Post by NickB »

ol: Well put sir! Almost smacks of a tee shirt slogan along the line of the old 'lipsmackingthirstquenchingacetasting........' one so popular in the seventies!
Cheers
Nick Benny

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Finally just listened to it.

Excellent - a few of the old cliches creep in, like the stuff about us churning up spawning beds, and some of the language used has rather negative connotations (apparently we 'career' down rivers) but overall, it raises the issue and most crucially concludes that it is an unsolved problem. So, more should follow.

BBC Countryside File next? Hopefully the BCU are on the phone and writing letters to their editors right now. Hmm.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

MarkB

Post by MarkB »

guidebook wrote:Excellent - a few of the old cliches creep in, like the stuff about us churning up spawning beds, and some of the language used has rather negative connotations (apparently we 'career' down rivers) but overall, it raises the issue and most crucially concludes that it is an unsolved problem. So, more should follow.

BBC Countryside File next? Hopefully the BCU are on the phone and writing letters to their editors right now. Hmm.
I agree - now is the time to follow through and make sure that the tired old fisherman's cliches (nearer libel in the case of the spawning beds) don't become accepted by the public. Given the lameness of most of what was put over on the programme by the opposite camp it shouldn't be too hard. They were even kind enough to cite an example of how well things can work when fishermen are forced to accept canoeing (the 'canada' segment). All of us know that the only difference between here and just about everywhere else is that here you think twice about communicating with a fisherman on the river and end up making your own judgement about what will cause him* least distress.

*Thread diversion... Anyone ever come across a female fisherman .... even the name is sexist!
Mark

adventurer85

Post by adventurer85 »

I have installed the real alternative but it still wont play the file. Anyone know why? and how do i rectify the situation?

Cheers

jonba

Post by jonba »

I can't get it to work with the genuine realplayer

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

There is another way of hearing it - send me an email or private message.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Chris Bolton

Getting Real Player to work

Post by Chris Bolton »

I already had Real Player installed (now hope to replace it with the alternative) but it didn't work for me either. There's link from the BBC page to a help page, which pointed out that specific files need to be available in the Plugins folder of your browser. They weren't in that folder, so I searched, found them, and copied them over - and it worked.

It was a good piece, but the deliberate disinformation from the fishing lobby is frustrating. There's no way the protesters could have stirred up the spawning beds with our paddles, as the official protest was all on land and the river level was high enough that nobody's paddles would have touched bottom anyway.

Chris

Post by Guest »

does anyone know the BCU response to this or have they got their heads in the sand?

DartFolks

Re: Getting Real Player to work

Post by DartFolks »

Chris Bolton wrote:There's no way the protesters could have stirred up the spawning beds with our paddles, as the official protest was all on land and the river level was high enough that nobody's paddles would have touched bottom anyway.

Chris
Listen to it again, I don't think the gentleman in question (nor the paddler talking about being chased with a tractor, for that matter) was talking about the Dee protest, they were both relating alleged incidents from past experience.
Fiona

Icarus & Fiona Edmonds
BCU River Dart Access

www.dartaccess.co.uk

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”