Travel US->Ottawa->US maybe a question for SiWiles?

Inland paddling
newkid

Travel US->Ottawa->US maybe a question for SiWiles?

Post by newkid » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi,

I was thinking of a trip to Ottawa, but flying into New York with Virgin and then driving up, possibly with a couple of days in NY etc.

I know the US has a requirement for machine readable passports and you have to fill a website questionnaire etc for entry, I was just wondering if there are any strange regulations on entering,leaving to Canada and re-entering. Is it simple enough to drive out, visit Canada for a few days and drive back. I notice that most hire car companies are happy for you to do this but just wondering if there are any odd visa requirements. Any other tips on doing this would be useful also, it seems almost as close to go from New York as Toronto (which I did last time).

Cheers

Phil

ion

Re: Travel US->Ottawa->US maybe a question for SiWiles?

Post by ion » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:11 am

The same visa or visa waver you entered the US on from the UK will stay inforce for your trip into Canada...retain the little green or white section that's in your passport for re-entry into the US....very little hassle is generally involved crossing between the US and Canada, though US immigration/customs delight in proving they can randomly create an exception to every rule.

-Ian

newkid

Post by newkid » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks dude, I am guessing you travel up to BC etc occasionally from Cali? I've travelled around a bit, but US immigration always worries me a bit for some reason!

Also, I think you posted a map up a while back, I look forward to using it next time I return to California. Great work.

Phil

siwiles

Post by siwiles » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:32 pm

Yeah its pretty easy to head into Canada, just make sure you have nothing dodgy in your car. Rental cars are pretty easy to get over the border, ususally don't even mention it to the company. The border guys may ask who's car it is but no problem there.

When are you going.
We are going out on the 4th Sept. There is some great dam release boating weekend 5-7 Sept in upstate New York. Easy to get from there to the black, then into Canada for the Ottawa etc...

Let me know if you want more info..

Virgin seems to be the best way to go.. 350 quidish at the moment.

newkid

Post by newkid » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:20 pm

I was thinking of last week of Aug or maybe 1st week of Sept. What is the dam release boating in NY? I have paddled around Ottawa a couple of times (Gatineau, Rouge, Lachine etc ) but I know very little about the east coast in general.

Cheers for the info.

Phil

ion

Post by ion » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:47 pm

newkid wrote:Thanks dude, I am guessing you travel up to BC etc occasionally from Cali? I've travelled around a bit, but US immigration always worries me a bit for some reason!

Also, I think you posted a map up a while back, I look forward to using it next time I return to California. Great work.

Phil
Definitely never play any games with US immigration, that's a black list that its impossible to get off and they have zero sense of humor.
Understand the rules of your Visa and stick to them, don't carry anything dumb or contraband, don't tick the little box that says "I was a 2nd world war Nazi", and you will be totally fine.

That would be fellow Brit in exile, Tom Saffell's map:

http://sites.google.com/site/calirivermap/

siwiles

Post by siwiles » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Weekend of 5/6/7 Sept is a long weekend in the US. There are three sections of the beaver river that are Dam release, and also the Raquette. All class 4 or 5. They are guarenteed to run at good levels...

Excellent boating. Check out the AW website or this article i wrote a while ago... http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/reports/ny.htm

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”