Video Editing

Inland paddling
SwamP

Video Editing

Post by SwamP » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:29 am

Well it's that time of year again; folk are coming back from holidays and/or getting ready for another big water/steep creeking winter season...but with video cameras!

I like amature crap on folks videos, but I've bene thinking that it wouldn't be too hard to add something more to a video to make it much better, and for my taste, funnier.

What are peoples thoughts, advice, tips on: how to make a great kayaking video and what do you want to see in a great kayaking video?

Is it windows movie maker with a song over it; a well edited journey with a plot, story line, some narration and humour added with a thought out start middle and end; huck huck huck look at us huck; or a mixture of all of these?

Do people want 5 minutes of their time to know about sponsors and shops where people obtain their equipment or would they rather just watching some boating to pass the time.

Everyone's a critic, so what do the critics reckon for improvements?
http://www.videomaker.com/learn/post-pr ... e-editing/
http://desktopvideo.about.com/od/deskto ... orials.htm
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Adrian Shanahan

Re: Video Editing

Post by Adrian Shanahan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:12 am

Hey Ryan,

I like the Idea of video editing and always wish I hand more reasons to do it / was better at it. Firstly I have to hold my hand up to being guilty of sticking in the sponsors logo when ever I stick something together but as you know that's all part of it.

I reckon its safe to say that I have seen 1000+ kayaking flicks professional or amateur and the main thing I want is entertainment, bit I also like the human story behind the action as opposed to just watching another Norway Huckfest. I'm not looking for any fancy plots/ camera work or whatever but just something to capture my interest.

Some one posted up a video of a trip to Norway here a while back that I can't be arsed to look for and I really liked it, one of the guys took a serious swim and they covered it well with some interview / narration and it engaged me.

Also music when / where / what type is hugely important, it always going to be tricky to please everyone but there are some golden rules in Adrian's book.

- Big well know tracks can take away from the action of a video
- Just because a track sounds wicked in the latest "Young Guns" production it will not make your footage 100% better if you use it in your video.

I suppose I would always say if you are going to make a video try think about this when you are shooting the footage and get lots of it, try get the storyboard together in your head so you will know if you want to shoot some segway / transition pieces . In the finial edit I like videos to be clean as opposed to seeing if you have tried to include all of the effects in MS Movie Maker.

And finally, slow motion makes 95% of things look cooler...don't get caught in that 5%

Adrian

james fleming

Post by james fleming » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:13 am

Nice thread.

Over the past few years I have dabbled in the art of movie making, through my and other kayaking exploits.

I started off with Window Movie Maker, which is a great tool, to start with.

Needless to say I got a lot of things wrong and took a lot of advice and made changes to the way they start, flow through the main body and finish.

My Last epic video was from last year where I made the Norway flim.

This year I’ll be putting together a 35 minute feature on Italy and other areas visited during our Euro tour.

One thing that we spoke about was the variation of paddling in clips. Hopefully, the one I’m making just now will have the Varity and not all GRRR stuff.

Some folks will make a few clips and others like me will make lots of clips. These take time and lots of patience from the people you paddle with and from family and friends.

I will add though, I really like doing the clips and get a lot from it…So much so we are making a Mechanical Advantage clip called Push – n – Pull. This is in relation to z-drag pulling systems, how to do them, the kit used, the forces used and other bits and pieces.

originalewan

Post by originalewan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:15 am

An interesting topic, as i'm sure there will be loads of anwsers...

My view, it all depends on audience: if mainly for kayakers, needs decent paddling ability or doing something new (snow boating, seal launch off a 30ft bridge), carnage is a must, good music that links to scenes, some comical moments, less time wasting crap, keep videos short and sweet, hook within 1st 10-20 secs to make sure viewers endure slow video streaming at home.

if for all viewers, perhaps needs more scenic, story telling approach, more chatting

things that make a video for me: montages, quierky moments (i.e in dangerous when wet, when old guy talks about his huskies chewing a fluff ball round and round then spitting it out, then a jump to runnning continous grade 5+)

see it here:

Some key questions:
How much time is it worth editing on a video, obviously the more the better, but sometimes its overdone if there aren't going to be many viewing it. ?

james fleming

Post by james fleming » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:16 am

Adrian Shanahan wrote:Hey Ryan,

Some one posted up a video of a trip to Norway here a while back that I can't be arsed to look for and I really liked it, one of the guys took a serious swim and they covered it well with some interview / narration and it engaged me.

Adrian
Would that be the one I did?

Adrian Shanahan

Post by Adrian Shanahan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:18 am

I'm not sure big guy, lash up or pm me a link to be sure. But it was a good video if it was, well shot and put together. And if I remember not too much head cam either just enoughto give reverse angles on rapids etc.

Adrian

tom fyall

Post by tom fyall » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:40 am

I used to use movie maker, but now I use iMovie and its much better. I try to splice in some comedy and am going for the sort of journey feel with my current video, unfinished as of yet only got up to day 2 of 2 weeks! Still collecting all of the best paddling footage from people so at the moment just looks like a road trip with pictures!

Here the trailer type thing:
http://www.vimeo.com/5498821

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:06 pm

I think these guys get close.

Tim Hamlet produced a lot of the footage and got third http://www.vimeo.com/3814512 in a comp. But I have to agree that the editing in this one http://www.vimeo.com/3641138 is better...a little bit of cheese in the second one and the music went pants in the first one but both cracking vids and better than has been produced in this country in a while. IMO.

James there's way too much of one person in your videos for my liking haha :op
Last edited by SwamP on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:08 pm

My main grip about any video has always been needless repetition. If there is a large group of boaters, do I need to see all of them run the same drop, on the same line, over and over again? Variety is what is needed!
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

james fleming

Post by james fleming » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Adrian Shanahan wrote:I'm not sure big guy, lash up or pm me a link to be sure. But it was a good video if it was, well shot and put together. And if I remember not too much head cam either just enoughto give reverse angles on rapids etc.

Adrian
The full fat film was here http://www.planetpaddler.com/video/norwayvideo.wmv

Short clips is here http://www.planetpaddler.com/video/Norwayclip1.wmv

Chrace

Post by Chrace » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:47 pm

Yup, saw that one James - very good stuff. Well done mate.

My last and perhaps most successful video was one I did for my "end of year as club chairman" which was shown at the AGM. It had almost no kayaking in it but loads of various far out moments. People looking silly generally and just fun things we do in the club apart from kayaking. It worked really well and gave people a "feel good" time - but only because the audience knew who people in it were.

This is where video making switches from "commercial" to "show your mates". I don't think you can do for both fully at the same time, so decide up front.

I quite dislike the Young Guns productions in general. "We are the coolest", "we run the shit", "we are sooooo good even WE can't believe it!"... *moan*. Certainly not a lot of "feel good" factor in those things. Or I might just be getting old. :)

boosh

Post by boosh » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:59 pm

Just to add my two cents worth.
I like videos where it looks as if someone has spent some time on it and made an effort. If you can get a really good track to accompany the boating you are half way there I think.
I wasnt convinced by headcam footage until recently. The footage that people are posting from the Hero GoPro WideAngle cameras are really impressive, and I think I will have to invest in one soon.

My feable efforts are:

http://www.vimeo.com/3545298

and

http://www.vimeo.com/3307595

Both were primarily made for the people on the trips so are not 100% clips of people boating, as we tried to capture some of the other bits of the trip that people enjoyed / hated / remembered.

I like so many other really enjoyed the Norway video from James. But I have to say my favourite Planet Paddler one has to be the Moriston Video, music fits the video really well and is really nicely shot.

But at the end of the day even a poor kayaking video is better than watching Eastenders et al.
Pete

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:27 pm

I quite like it when you have chilled out 'soulful*' type music in films, rather than just hiphop and hard rock type stuff, it can create a very different vibe. There is a great example here. Although it's not apddling related, I think it's one of the best examples of what can be done with a short film.

*Wow that sounds lame!

james fleming

Post by james fleming » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:43 pm

clarky999 wrote:I quite like it when you have chilled out 'soulful*' type music in films, rather than just hiphop and hard rock type stuff, it can create a very different vibe. There is a great example here. Although it's not apddling related, I think it's one of the best examples of what can be done with a short film.

*Wow that sounds lame!
WHAT...a video that was. Awesome!

Phil@kukc

Post by Phil@kukc » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:38 pm

clarky999 wrote:There is a great example here.
That is a great video and I think music generally is one of the biggest things in making a decent video.

I think you have to have a theme and try to get the music/clips to fit it, ie- serious trip, comedy, story etc etc

Shorter sequences are better and spliting clips up to show small segments helps interest, if they fit with sections of the music then even better.

I reckon taking time to set up decent angles and get good shots when filming could really helps, though can be tricky.

I take my camera on most trips and have made some sort of video for most of them, they are scattered around on Youtube and Vimeo. Some I like some I don't like, its a learning curve and I think they are gradually getting better. I like making them and most people seem to like them so thats all I'm really worried about.

My most recent here. Tried to get a feel for the trip rather than just paddling as it wasn't always about that.

A bit of sillyness here and here

Another here. Swims from the alps.

Jonny Briggs

Post by Jonny Briggs » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:54 am

Like James, I love filming and the editing process. To me it lets me document and reflect on the day/ trip. When I first started it was just that, to document the trip, but now much more goes into every shot and go out with an end result in mind.

I am hoping to make a 20 minute film of kayaking in the UK using dynamic shots. The aim is to have no static shots, so using zip wires, dollys, head/ boat cams, hopefully it will feel like you are on the river with the kayaker and not just watching from the bank, I want to get as close into the "action" as possible.

Jonny

saturday seth

Post by saturday seth » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:49 am

i-movie

enough said

Digimeister

Post by Digimeister » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:31 pm

There's some interesting feedback from the Rainchaser's competition on this blog post here regarding what ranked highly and why:
http://www.rainchasers.com/rainchasing- ... films.html
Notably, all the films that ranked highly had some sort of storyline to them...

Also, as mentioned above, I agree that music is a very important element to boating (and indeed any) video... I still think that this effort from Mr Laws is a fine example of a well chosen audio track and editing the video to suit:

EDIT: Post written by Poke, logged in as Digimeister - Sorry!!
"If only I knew who in fact I am, I should cease to behave as what I think I am; and if I stopped behaving as what I think I am, I should know who I am."
Me - ICCC

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:55 am

Digimeister wrote: I agree that music is a very important element to boating (and indeed any) video... I still think that this effort from Mr Laws is a fine example of a well chosen audio track and editing the video to suit:
Hmmm suicidal indeed, I thought Oscar Schindler was gonna make an appearance at one point haha....that song is pants and should have been left in the suicide pit it was written....god damn you Shrek!

I'm depressed now!

whos_huw

Post by whos_huw » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:23 pm

[quote="clarky999"]I quite like it when you have chilled out 'soulful*' type music in films, rather than just hiphop and hard rock type stuff, it can create a very different vibe. There is a great example here. Although it's not apddling related, I think it's one of the best examples of what can be done with a short film.

Does anyone know how to get the text appearing like it does towards the start of this video clip. I'd like to recreate it but struggling to find out how.

Cheers Huw

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Yeah the words coming up like that is cool...I've done something similar for one of my other sports projects....but I've done it with loads of one page photoshop images merged in and fading out...not the best option by far!

I've just run a couple of tutorial searches on yatube which have bene awesome...but none answering your question yet...I'll keep looking...

Adrian Shanahan

Post by Adrian Shanahan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:59 pm

You could make an anminated GIF with a transparent background and lay it over you video, again that prob bot the best way of doing it. The effect used is a plugin which is available for CS4.

chrisps

Post by chrisps » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:17 am

whos_huw wrote:
clarky999 wrote:I quite like it when you have chilled out 'soulful*' type music in films, rather than just hiphop and hard rock type stuff, it can create a very different vibe. There is a great example here. Although it's not apddling related, I think it's one of the best examples of what can be done with a short film.

Does anyone know how to get the text appearing like it does towards the start of this video clip. I'd like to recreate it but struggling to find out how.

Cheers Huw
As Adrian says, a GIF would do it, but also check your video editing package - for example, the ProTitler in Sony Vegas 8 (which is what I use) will allow you to do stuff like that fairly easily. I would imagine that other packages probably have similar features

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”