Getting ones MOJO back!

Inland paddling
bazoo132

Getting ones MOJO back!

Post by bazoo132 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:05 pm

Hey Folks,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I just got back into boating after taking a year out due to shoulder issues and since returning to boating I can't seem to get my confidence up. I have been paddling a Gd3 with one Gd 4 rapid in it but keep looking at every rapid and thinking of what can go wrong as opposed to what the right line is.

I am keen to progress my boating this year up to a solid Gd 4 for the winter.

Anybody ever come across this and if so what did you do to get your Mojo back.

Cheers
Baz :-)

husky

Re: Getting ones MOJO back!

Post by husky » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:46 pm

Just had a few weeks off now gaging for it make it fun take it up a bit at a time HAVE FUN
Steve
LET IT BE

Betty

Post by Betty » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:57 pm

The same thing happend to me, only with riding. I had a very nasty fall and I totally lost my confidence... not much good if your job is exercising race horses! Now I ride like a demon again!

The thing to do is focus on the good things, no matter how little. As soon you get back from a trip/session write a list of the cool, positive and correct things you did, and what was great about your time on the water. If you did a fantastic roll, picked a great line, rescued someone smoothly... write it down before you forget. If you are in a doubting mindset you forget or overlook your little trumphs and only remember the less than perfect things which you blow out of all proportion.

Take things slowly and build up. Start with the easy lines and less brave stuff and then one day you will say to yourself 'b*llocks to this!' and do something more daring. It is all about expanding your comfort zone, not bursting out of it. If you have been injured it is wise to build up your fitness, muscles and muscle memory slowly. As this progresses your confidence will grow because you are more able. I think that part of this is a subconcious way of you protecting yourself till your body is up to the job, so in a way it is a good thing... even though part of you is yearning for the exciting stuff.

Surround yourself with good supportive mates who want you to be better and stronger and don't take the mick. Get someone to make a video of you paddling that shows how great you are.

Change 'what if?' to 'what now?' you can't concerntrate on what you are doing if you are fretting about what might happen... it becomes self fulfilling. Everytime the thought 'what if?' comes in to your mind, tear it up and bin it... replace it with 'what now?' and do it!

Pretend to be confident, remember to breath calmly... it fools your unconcious mind in to believing that you are confident.

Loosing your mojo is nothing to be ashamed of and it can happen to any of us at any time. Anyone who takes the mick is just an idiot.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Go somewhere safe/manageable and well within your ability, as suits you ... a local eddyline, a weir, HPP, whatever ... and throw yourself into it like mad, paddling/playing/rolling any which way.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

husky

Post by husky » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:11 pm

Mark R wrote:Go somewhere safe/manageable and well within your ability, as suits you ... a local eddyline, a weir, HPP, whatever ... and throw yourself into it like mad, paddling/playing/rolling any which way.
Spot on go mad stay safe Have fun
Steve
LET IT BE

janet brown

Post by janet brown » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Betty wrote:Pretend to be confident, remember to breath calmly... it fools your unconcious mind in to believing that you are confident.
I had a sily swim on the Tryweryn above the graveyard back in May, and by the time I'd looked for (and not found) my paddle, was very short of breath. As a result my heart was pounding. I was really annoyed with myself for the swim, and for losing my paddle, so I racked up the tension. What with anxiety kicking in about how fast my heart was beating, I continued to breathe very rapidly. I tried to paddle the same section several more times, and on the third, was still freaking out.

I sat in an eddy and thought about getting off the water, but knew that if I did this I could say goodbye to white water for good. I gave myself a good talking to, and concentrated on slowing my breathing down. Not surprisingly, my heartrate settled, and I felt calmer.

I now realise that most of the probem was hyperventilating!

Janet
PS found the paddle that evening!

GarethStayte

Post by GarethStayte » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:55 pm

hi, playboating is a great way to get your confidence back. Go out, with the mind frame you want to roll a lot. As mentioned before hpp is a great place to practice. Have fun and enjoy it and give it 6months and your be back in the game.

Gordon_H

Post by Gordon_H » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:51 am

Sort of unrealated.

But sometimes I just have days ( regrettably all to often) where I paddle rubbish.

I have days where I can run GD 4/5 quite well all day and then the next day swim on a Gd3 rapid Ive ran loads of times.
infact on friday on the Etive I completey screwed up triple step and then ran dalness without to much drama the same day although Im blaming this on my new changed (and now removed) outfitting.

Do other people find they just dont feel the love some days?

El Pres

Post by El Pres » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:09 pm

I had/have a similar issue.
Last September I was admitted to A&E with chest pains, spent a week on Coronary Care then a small op to fix the plumbing with angioplasty.
The physical side was fixed within a week, the heads taken a lot longer and not just about boating. Yesterday I paddled the Cough, Low Gill and Lune in Cumbria with 2 (good) guys I had never met before; it took a lot of my confidence to do that. But had a great time out on the river and I have a couple more paddling buddies. Can’t wait to get out and do more again now.

My MOJO’s back !

I have beat myself up a lot the last 6 months; it just takes time keep at it and be patent, it will come back. Take it easy.

Chris Foster

shanclan

Post by shanclan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:17 pm

I agree. Playboating is the way to sort your roll. It worked for me, although I still occasionally faff one up if I think too hard.

As far as rivers go, you should probably drop down a grade or plan to portage tricky sections. This takes the mental pressure off and will get you paddling smoothly and confidently again, then you will know when you are ready to go back up. Continuing to paddle things you aren't comfortable with means that you will be hazard-focussed and you won't be loose. If you keep doing it, you will turn your confidence problem into a technique problem.

If you need to calm yourself, there is a technique I used to use in sticky situations when climbing. Breathe slowly, smile (in the circumstances this doesn't come naturally so you will look like a gurning twt), and force your shoulders down and back. Forcing your body into this happy shape has a surprisingly calming effect.

Maribo

Post by Maribo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:05 pm

And if not playboating per-se in a playboat, just practicing rolls is progressively more turbulent water brings back confidence.

...David

little tim

Post by little tim » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:49 am

Something not too tricky, but big enough to get the feeling works for me - upper tees or the classic kent run.

bazoo132

Post by bazoo132 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:40 am

Hi Folks,

My roll is solid so no worries there. I playboat on my local run and am happy doing that. Just need to focus a bit more I think. I will try and get out more on the Grade III Tummel more and get my lines working.

Thanks for all of the advice very much appreciated.

Regards
Baz 8-)

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:11 am

Mojo huh, good way of putting it!

Three physios have told me that my shoulder is damaged beyond being able to kayak anymore...hence the main reason I gave up the sport for 3 years.

I started back 18 months ago, roughly, genuinelly planning on just running some G2 & G3.

I'm happy in the knowledge that I can't paddle any hard stuff any more, I'm not interested in other paddlers quests to become known and instead paddle with those who I laugh most with. TOP CONFIDENCE MOJO TIP 1: Paddle with mates. Laughing boosts confidence and a slagging never hurt anyone...apart from MJ hahaha

By starting on G2 one week I realised that I needed to keep change my whole technique to protect my shoulders as even my strong one was over compensating for the less stable one. TOP SHOULDER MOJO TIP 2: Tight elbows, narrower hand grip, only use paddles strokes that are needed....it's a river and you're already floating, the water is doing most of the work for you.

The next week I paddled with one of the five groups I now paddle with on a G4 thingy. From there I've paddled most weekends and lots through the week, I never concentrated on up'ing my grade, being better than others, reaching any goals or proving points. TOP PROGRESSION MOJO TIP 3: Focus on your ability improving. Don't be bothered with crap in this sport like other's opinions on your ability or about walking things you used to run easily. I won't say what I've kayaked in the last 18 months but I've walked off the Alt Chouran, I've swam on the Etive at a crappy medium-low flow (haha so did a sponsored paddler) at last years WWPF, walked falls of Leny. Each one burned me to the core because they were way below my ability...but they also humbled me into remembering that rivers are fenking awesome and I'm just gonna have to get used to being a gumby boater now! Progress is slow, hence the Etive swim a year ago, but you will get there.

Now 18 months on I'm paddling some nice splashy stuff and before I took a four week break I was paddling well and feeling confident. The UK doesn't have anything really too harsh in it and if you decide to run something and your shoulder goes the chances are you'll be at the bottom of the rapid by that point anyway...very low consequences! Gubbed shoulders might mean you'll never be a Tom Brown, Biggin or FJF's orange van mate from down south but sponsored paddlers are at a low level these days so you can still get out there and paddle with the majority of people having fun. TOP MOJO MAINTENANCE TIP 4: Don't take a 4 week break with a hot girl in Cuba. I almost walked a G4 on Sunday at the North Esk and was almost crying when I got in my boat to paddle it...kept my hair dry of course but those bloody kayak demons almost got the better of me. Consistancy will get you on the Etive high, Nevis high, 8-10ft surf in a playboat etc etc....lack of consistancy will have you swimming or walking off student rivers.

Oh yeah, don't forget physio...I have to do 30-60 minutes every night and it still hurts 24/7 :o(
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

bazoo132

Post by bazoo132 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Hey Ryan,

Thanks for the advice will take it on board. I need to get on the N.Esk it just seems to have me freaked out.

Cheers
Baz

Ray Latham

Post by Ray Latham » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:51 pm

Thught I would use this post to say hello again. It seemed the right place. I was paddling about 14 months ago and had been for a few years. Did some good grade 4 rivers in the UK the East Lyn, Upper Dart etc, and also some good stuff in France and Italy, Lower Guizane, Gyronde, etc. I had a bad spill on the East Lyn back in Jan 2008 and wound up having to go to hospital to get my neck checked. Pleased to say all was OK. But this slowly eroded my confidence.

Before I new it I seemed to be losing my role. It happened slowly and was like a gradual drop in rolling ability, I had always prided myself in having a good role and staying in a boat telling myself it to longer to pull the plug and bale than it did to role so stay in the boat. Things deteriated and in June last year I went to France with a crew. I hade been to Italy and France a few times before and was normally fine. We did a quick trip into Italy and paddled the Germinasca. It was fairly High and due to one broken boat and a couple of swims, out of 5 getting on the water only 2 made it to the end and we are talking good overall paddlers. I really belted my head on a rock again and split a sweet strutter.

Apart from feeling the confidence draining from me I thought I was un-hurt. However while driving back to the UK at the end of the week I noticed I couldnt hear to well. It was as though I had been listening to loud music through earphones for to long which I hadnt. To cut a long story short I started to get attackes of hearing loss with Low range (Base) tinitus. This was always followed up with dizzynes and dissorientation. These attacks were initially once every couple of weeks, but by Xmas I was having them every 2 - 3 days and they would last for 24+ hours. I was diagnosed at the time with meniors and all but told that my kayaking and general exercise days were pretty much over. I was pretty fed up and couldnt even bare to come on this site as it just got me down. Bit by bit the attacks slowed down and eased off. I am Still getting them but nowhere near to the same level and without the dizzyness. I had 2 MRI scans a CT scan and umpteen other tests and eventually it turns out I didnt have menors but a raised Inter cranial pressure (ICP) probably from the whacks on the head and neck. This slowly seems to be easing.

At last as the diagnosis has changed, I am back on the water, Before I had the enforced break my role had dissapeared and confidence was low. I started back in the pool and then on the local weir and the role has made a re-appearance and confidence is starting to boom again.

I am over the moon and in effect the break has given me my Mojo back.

That was a long way to skin a cat but I got there!!!

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:13 am

Crank up some loud metal and do lots of head banging before you get on the water. Yell abuse at every rapid before you go down it like "i'm going to have you - you slag" and stuff like that.

J
White water "rider"

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”