Peru, Argentina, Chile this winter

Inland paddling
Sonic

Peru, Argentina, Chile this winter

Post by Sonic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:42 am

Hi everyone!

I've bought the tickets and gleefully quit the job and getting very excited about the trip to Peru, Argentina, Bolivia and Chile this Septmber to Dec/January. Itinerary is Lima - Cusco, Bolivia into NW Argentina all the way down to SE Argentina (anyone Sea kayaked there?) then across to S Chile and up through Patagonia, home from Santiago in late Dec/early Jan.....

If you've paddled any of those places - particularly Chile and Argentina, then I'd love to hear from you!

I'd like info on:

Rivers/grades - starting easy then a few weeks later getting harder...3+ to 4+ is what I'm talkin about
Logistics - better to take own boat or easy to hire one? If so what did you pay and who would you recommend?
Good guides/companies out there? Any coaches you'd recommend?
Best time to go for not too crazy levels?
Any other tips - safety, money?
If you could take just ONE bit of kit (ok maybe TWO) then what would you take?

THankyou!!!

Sonia

RichA

Re: Peru, Argentina, Chile this winter

Post by RichA » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:08 am

This is near enough the same trip that I'm starting to plan for next winter, although probably a shorter version of it. I'll be keeping a close eye on this and looking forward to hearing about your trip already!

Jon B

Post by Jon B » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:31 am

This is a good book if your going for a paddle in Chile! very usefull, put in's take out's, grades. So on......

Chile Book http://www.whitewaterthecanoecentre.co. ... =51&page=3

timsugg

Post by timsugg » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:04 pm

I found it easy to hire boats in Chile in both Pucon and Futalufu (sure there's some more vowels in there) it also makes it easy to get coaches everywhere. In Pucon, Kayak Pucon was a good shop to hire kit & meet other paddlers Rodrigo also guides out there, a bit like dive shop's do with all the kit provided on a daily walk in basis for between £30 and £40 a day. Cara del indio was a good spot to hire kit and meet people in Futalufu though they were still quiet when I was there at the end of december the other year.The bridge to bridge on the Futa... was a nice big grade 4+ at the end of December and not too mentally high and the snow fed stuff in Pucon was dropping off in December the other year with lots to choose from, from big and bouncy and fun grade 3+ all the way through to silly grade 5 water falls.

Sonic

Post by Sonic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:54 pm

Thanks Tim,
Sounds good! Did you take any kit with you at all? Splits or BA?
Sonia

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:53 pm

For Peru you could contact Paul Cripps at Amazonas Explorer, in Chile you're only likely to meet other paddlers in Pucon or at the Futaleufu (correct no. of vowels)

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Bearded Monkey

Post by Bearded Monkey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi Sonia
I was working out there last year, lived in pucon for 5 months and worked for Kayak Chile (the other shop in pucon) owned by an english guy called Ben May - really nice guy, really helpful. You can hire boats from him too and he's got quite a few to choose from, have a look at kayakchile.net, which may or may not have been updated by now. I could tell you lots about different rivers if you are bored enough to want to read it, but I've also got a few Chile Whitewater guidebooks for sale - written by Tyler Curtis, Mariann Saether and Ben May, if you want to get the 'professional' take on the rivers!
hope this is helpful
all the best
Dave

newkid

Post by newkid » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:38 pm

I'd second what the guys above have said.

I'm not sure you'd find many other boaters in Bolivia (check with Mark R). Peru, best bet is to contact raft companies, logistics could be a bit of a mission. Rodrigo and Ben May will sort everything out guiding out of Pucon, Chile but willing to go further afield to the Fu and parts of Argentina too. I think prime season for Chile is Dec/Jan for creeking, you could probably wait a little long for the play season on the Fu. I get the impression Chile is a bit of a "full on" destination like Norway: lots of water and gradient but the easier runs I did around Pucon were lots of fun.

have a great trip.

Phil

Sonic

Post by Sonic » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:11 pm

Cheers, guys, that's really helpful!
Dave, can you PM me more details?!
Also, any one got any tips on Argentina...Mendoza/SE Argentina?! I've got a month to kill over there....
HFOTW!
Sonia x

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Mendoza & Bariloche are best places to find boaters - try some of the local rafting companies, Club Andino Bariloche has a paddling section.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”