What is best for me?

Inland paddling
aria230

What is best for me?

Post by aria230 »

here is my situation! I'll say it all here and then you can give me idea's, okay?
I paddle 3 times a week on flat water. About every other week i go to matlock with my dad paddling but i dont get the chances to get out to wales very often. I've only been twice, so when i go i want to push myself so that i do more chalanging rivers sooner. I have paddled the dervent (matlock section) lots of times, the lower t once and mile end mill once. I may be trying to run before i can walk but thats because i can only go every like 4 months!

There you go advice please ;p

ssmith184

Re: What is best for me?

Post by ssmith184 »

aria230 wrote:here is my situation! I'll say it all here and then you can give me idea's, okay?
I paddle 3 times a week on flat water. About every other week I go to matlock with my dad paddling but I dont get the chances to get out to wales very often. I've only been twice, so when I go I want to push myself so that I do more chalanging rivers sooner. I have paddled the dervent (matlock section) lots of times, the lower t once and mile end mill once. I may be trying to run before I can walk but thats because I can only go every like 4 months!

There you go advice please ;p
Keep it up!!

Maybe go to an artificial course like Nottingham or Nene, where you can play and push yourself but where the consequences aren't as serious as a real river. If you have a nice small playboat you can get lots and lots of fun out of these places and learn boat control skills that will be useful on the river.

Also try joining a club that does trips. That way you will get good coaching and might be able to paddle rivers when your dad isn't available to take you (which your dad will appreciate!).

Grumpy old man

Post by Grumpy old man »

Hi
I know where you are coming from. I'm at the other end of the scale (age wise), because of family commitments and the family only having 1 car I find it very difficult to get out on the rivers like I use to. I paddle 3/4 times a week on flat water and go for a quick 2 hour bash down to the Tees Barrage when the family allow. What I did last year was to book a course at the Brennin, 5 days of solid boating and this year I'm looking at the Glenmore lodge for an option. I don't know what the money situation is like for yourself, but why don't you look at the young peoples courses at these sort of places.
Try this.
http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/course- ... asp?ID=684

Just a thought

Grumpy
Paddle well, Have fun.

Lloyd Allin

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Grumpy old man wrote:Hi
I know where you are coming from. I'm at the other end of the scale (age wise), because of family commitments and the family only having 1 car I find it very difficult to get out on the rivers like I use to. I paddle 3/4 times a week on flat water and go for a quick 2 hour bash down to the Tees Barrage when the family allow. What I did last year was to book a course at the Brennin, 5 days of solid boating and this year I'm looking at the Glenmore lodge for an option. I don't know what the money situation is like for yourself, but why don't you look at the young peoples courses at these sort of places.
Try this.
http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/course- ... asp?ID=684

Just a thought

Grumpy
We are in a similar situation to yourself Grumpy, can I ask what the course at Brennin was like? We are struggling a bit to get out - family commitments etc like yourself and don't know enough folk to get out with. Desperate to learn and gain experience but don't want to do it on our own for safety reasons. The courses look quite good.

Grumpy old man

Post by Grumpy old man »

Hi Paddle dragger
I've sent you a PM

Grumpy
Paddle well, Have fun.

Lloyd Allin

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Hi there,

Thanks, PM'd back quickly - I'm at work!! Hope you get it though, seems to be sat in my outbox so not sure if doing it wrong!! Will check back later!!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”