Kayak and paddle for a 6 year old

Inland paddling
olitills

Kayak and paddle for a 6 year old

Post by olitills »

Hi, has anyone got any experience of buying kit for a 6 year old, in particular boat and paddle.

I was thinking along the lines of a Dagger Dynamo and pair of gremlins, however only because this is what centres use and generally they won't teach anyone younger than 8. Is there anything else out there to consider? Also pricewise does anyone know where is the cheapest place to buy?

They're only going to be playing on flat sheltered water, however i'd like it to be kit which makes it as enjoyable and as effortless as possible and therefore gives them the paddling bug..

Cheers, Oli

Ken

Re: Kayak and paddle for a 6 year old

Post by Ken »

Look at the Jackson Fun range, they're pretty small,

olitills

Post by olitills »

Yeah I did think about the Jackson Fun's however reckon something a little longer will be an advantage to him getting somewhere.. playboat a few years later perhaps.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

Stick with the Dynamo, there really isn't anything better out there. Even then it might be a bit big for a six year old, but it should keep him/her going until he/she is about 10 or 11. As far as paddles are concerned, it is important that they are relatively light with a small diameter shaft. Strength is not really an issue. The Gremlins are perfectly adequate, but if you have a little more money it is worth getting some Galasport Junior Multicolour paddles, available from Cool Blue Canoes. These are a bit lighter with a better "feel", and were quite cheap when we last bought some, but that was before the Euro exchange rate went bad. They also do a great junior slalom kayak, but that's probably not what you are after.

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Our son is now 10 and has had a wavesport fuse 35 coming up for a couple of years now and he loves it. Billed as a river running boat with bit of play in it - he's a skinny thing and far too small and light to start chucking it about but padded out it may be something suitable-that's what we did, we were in the same boat (so to speak) wanting something that would give him a bit more confidence but that he could grow into-still hasn't properly BUT he does love the boat and it's made a big difference to him. He was using a dagger dynamo prior to that and really didn't get on with it. Another one to look at depending on what you want might be the LL Remix - childs version, that's a lovely kids boat too. There are not many kids boats about second hand but they do tend to hold the value quite well if and when you may be looking to sell because they tend not to get absolutely hammered and as said there are not many about. Paddles I think is a case of just trying some and seeing what suits him but our son is using my old werners which were cut down. Before that he had a cheap touring type paddle, again the smallest we could find was way too big but we cut it down and pushed some tubing inside the shaft with plenty of araldite squeezed in to fix it solidly back together, it made it the perfect length for him and was only a cheap paddle in the first place so no worries about cutting it up.

Hope you find something suitable, it's a great age to start! :-)

ChrisBainbridge

Post by ChrisBainbridge »

Hi

I would look again at the Jackson range. He is the only person I know of who having had children has designed all of his boats in childrens sizes. The Fun 1 has a weight range of 30pounds upwards. http://www.jacksonkayak.com/kayaks/prod ... =kidseries They are good boats which children seem to enjoy.
Chris
http:\\bainbridgesabbatical.blogspot.com
www.hand-surgery.co.uk
www.dupuytrens.co.uk

Grumpy old man

Post by Grumpy old man »

Hi
Don't forget the Pyranha Master lite a little bit older than the above mentioned boats but still a great boat for kids. My two kids started in the Master Lite.
They are a little bit longer than the afore mentioned boats which give them a little more speed and directional stability also a little more volume to make them more forgiving if they do venture on to moving water. On the down side they are a little heavier but I would imagine that you would be doing all the carrying so that won't affect the child.

Grumpy
Paddle well, Have fun.

Lloyd Allin

Andy B (of MCC)

Post by Andy B (of MCC) »

For paddles, Brookbank shops have their 'Streamlyte' Junior paddles - essentially the same as the Gremlins and similarly priced.
They are a nice, small and lightweight paddle which the juniors in our club get on very well with.

Andy

benlove

Post by benlove »

Hi,

My daughter is seven and since she was six she has had a Jackson Fun 1 and chose a set of Gremlins herself as they were light and had a narrow shaft, which she found comfortable. The Palm Dynamo deck fits the small Jackson boats but it is quite tight until you are sure they are used to it.

Cheers,
Ben

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

Maybe get in touch with Mitchel Blades, pritty sure they could sort out a custom paddle to suit.

jazzman1975

Post by jazzman1975 »

I just bought a Jackson Fun 1 and a set of junior AP paddles for my 5 year old daugher and am stugling to keep her out of it she loves it, She did try our clubs dynamos but found them a little to big for her to handle comfortably. The jackson with the happy feet helps her to keep control of the boat, some of the older club padlers have had a go in it too and eveyon loves it, the eldest padler aho has tried it was 8 he fitted but it was just slightly too small for him. I just wish my boat was as light as hers its so easy to carry even for her to carry.

Allenkayak

Post by Allenkayak »

Hi

My daughter started with an old Palm Aquabat at the age of 7, but then moved on to a Robson Supersonic - this was a really good choice and her confidence improved greatly. She has just grown out of it having turned 11. I would definatly recommend try one out. We've kept it for of 4 year old son, so that he can (an already has) use it.
On the paddle from I can recommend the Ainsworth N90 again cover my daughter from the age of 7 and she is still using it when she can't nick my Robson Green. The Ainsworth has a nice slim shaft and smaller blades than the adult version and is good value for money.

Celliers

Post by Celliers »

Also look at the Fluid Vaya. It is a very small sit-on-top kayak designed specifically for young kids, and it is the safest option possible. A kid can't get trapped inside the boat, the boat won't fill with water if capsized, and a kid can climb back onto the boat without having to go to the bank first. It works well for kids lighter than 40kg (90 lbs). It is a low stress, easy to paddle, maximum fun boat for kids.

http://www.fluidkayaks.com/Leisure_Vaya.htm

Cheers

Celliers
Fluid Kayaks

janet brown

Post by janet brown »

If you want a longer boat than the Jackson Fun range then how about the Dagger Blast: my son started in this, though he was older than 6. Make sure the foorest assembly is near enough: the one we bought was a bit too far away, yet I saw one a few months later that was so much closer, so I think ours was an anomaly!
Agree that Lance Mitchell (Mitchell Blades) is a good person to talk to about custom paddles: he definitely does different diameter shafts for smaller hands. Maybe somewhat pricey as a one-off though.

Janet

foxy

Post by foxy »

My little girl started paddling this boat when she was three -

http://www.totneskayaks.co.uk/product.p ... =44&page=1

That's not her by the way.

I had to make her a paddle, which at nearly five is too small for her. But her little sister is about to get it hand me down!
Nemo Malus Felix

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks »

The Dagger Axiom 6.9 will be available soon. This is much better than the Dynamo but will be a little more expensive.

The 8.5 we have in the shop is looking good. A combination of the RPM and GT Series but much better than both of them. I can't wait to get mine on the water!

olitills

Post by olitills »

Hi Rich,

The Axiom looks really good.. what is the sale price? and when are you expecting to get them in?

Cheers, Oli

quicky

Post by quicky »

Dynamos are great if you kids are light and small.

My son (unfortunately for him) is taking after his dad and is going to be very tall and could play prop forward for England already at 8.
He is quite happy in any of the adult smallest playboats zooming round the pool. (as we have a shared boat policy for the kids he is getting the opportunity to try an awful lot of different boats).

HE likes the Kingpin and Jackson at the moment but he major requirement is color and can he fill it up and sink it a bit to get the ends up so they are very stable for him.

See if you can go to a demo day and get your little one to have a play in as many as they can.

All the best with the search

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks »

olitills wrote:The Axiom looks really good.. what is the sale price? and when are you expecting to get them in?
Dagger Axiom 6.9 will be £499 and is expected in July.

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

My daughter started in the Junior Harrier by McNulty, an old style cut down slalom boat designed for children aged 6-11. It is glassfibre and lighter than the plastic boats (and also cheap). She had a pair of Mark Gees kids paddles which are also out of production. The paddles got trashed at the Nene and now I need to find some small asymmetric paddles for my youngest son.
Tim Middlehurst does small wings for those with kids that want to go racing, in a choice of colours too. Zastera make some lightweight slalom paddles which come in small kid sizes, we bought some for the Juniors in the Club, but it was a PITA getting them, involving foreign currency transfers.

daw

Post by daw »

Just another vote for the dynamo grelims. We have several small children in the club who all use and like this combination.

The gremlins are also popular with some much older but still small members

David

B&O

Post by B&O »

Family adventue store £339 also do bundle which may or may not suit. I bought a playboat from them. not sure of her name but they were really good.

Phone first as they don't always have everything in stock if your planning a visit. westbury area wiltshire.

Iain

Edwindle

Post by Edwindle »

Jackson do a childs paddle don't they? Not seen or tried it but may be worth a look.
Edwin Runagle.

Life's short, paddle hard.

aria230

Post by aria230 »

Ken wrote:Look at the Jackson Fun range, they're pretty small,
They are great but still they are prety pricy even second hand. If they are just on flat water i would get somthing cheaper like a dynamo and then once they are abit older maybe 8-9-10 if they enjoy it maybe get them some better kit to open the doors to the whitewater world ;)

Derek Marshall

Post by Derek Marshall »

As another alternative can I suggest a Pyrhana Lightning.
These boats are directionally stable and are narrower that a lot other kayaks which makes things easer for small paddlers to reach with the paddle into the water. The directional stability is great as the young paddler can very quickly keep up with older paddlers in in less directionally stable kayaks.
As far as suitable paddles try a set of guppy wings – great for encouraging a good forward paddling technique which can be applied to all paddling disciplines.

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea »

Jackson boats are always popular for juniors, but they are a playboat.

Robson Eddy is a very nice childs paddle, smaller diameter shaft and smaller blades, not too heavy.
http://www.robson.cz/whitewater-paddles.htm

steve t

Post by steve t »

Hi

My lad is 8 and got a LL Remix 47 last year at 7½ and loves it. We looked at the Dynamo but the Remix seems a better fitted out boat although more expensive. Being more of a river boat it's going to be more forgiving as well, again he can look at something more playful as he progresses. I think he would outgrow the Dynamo before the Remix.

He uses the Gremlin paddle, and gets on with it fine. At the moment he doesn't paddle anything big so he's fine with a nylon deck, and I'm happier that he can get out without panicking. Try Decathlon for very cheap BAs & cags, although their kids' wetsuits seem to be designed for skinny legs and he has a steamer from LOMO.

Prior to this he used an old club Rotabat, fitted out with shedloads of foam, and was fine on flat water until the wind started pushing him round like a beach ball.

Hope this helps

Steve

orton1966

Post by orton1966 »

Another vote for the LL Remix 47 a very nice looking junior boat!

stellaaa

Post by stellaaa »

Another vote for either dagger dynamo or jackson fun

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”