How the hell do I put wave hoppers on the rook rack?

Inland paddling
DanH

How the hell do I put wave hoppers on the rook rack?

Post by DanH »

OK, not you usual post!!

I have been asked to transport 2 Perception Wavehoppers. Me being a nice guy of course agreed

"No problems mate, I can do that for you!!!"

This is where the problem arises, how the hell do I put wave hoppers on the rook rack without bending or denting them and without fear of them flying off when I'm buzzing along at 70+mph!!!

The biggest boat I've ever carried on my roof rack is my creek boat, I don't even bother using the roof rack for my playboat, it fits nicely in the boot.

Any suggestions would be greatly received!!!

Cheers,

Dan

Jim

Post by Jim »

I recommend standing near the car to one side, picking the boat up by its cockpit and lifting (using knees rather than back) to height greater than that of the roof bars. Take a few steps towards the car until the boat is over the rack an lower it gently into position. See, it's easy.

Seriously, Wavehoppers are polythene and will take strapping on like other poly boats, they may bend and dent a bit but it will straighten out in the warm sun (hmm, you picked an awkward time of year to volunteer). If the long load worries you, tie the ends to your towing eyes or other suitable point (not a plastic bumper) as well as strapping in the middle.

Now if they were composite white water racers it is a bit trickier, but still much the same as any other glass boat.

JIM

Pete C.

whoppers

Post by Pete C. »

Beg, borrow or steal a set of uprights. It's the easiest way by miles - because the hull and sidewalls aren't flat, it makes it tricky to load them without.

If you're planning on driving at 70, make sure you endgrab them (tie ropes through the grab handles to your car). WWRs tend to lift at the front when travelling at speed, which causes the straps to loosen, roofrack to start drifting etc. Ropes front and back stop this from happening as much.

Adrian Cooper

Wavehoppers

Post by Adrian Cooper »

''as much''!!!!!

joe1

Post by joe1 »

best way would be to tighten the strapes and use rachets aswell as your normal straps.
then put rope on the front and back of the boat and tie it to your car.
make sure you keep stopping to tightening them up and dnt go really fast like over 80 mph
this works well

DanH

Post by DanH »

They seem to be on!!! I've stuck the hull in the V created by the roof rack and the upright, they ain't moving, my only concern is that I'm bending and squashing them. But, a) They aren't mine, b) I will probably never use them & c) Come next summer and the dents will pop out ;-)

Cheers guys!!!

Dan

mharrall

Vee bars

Post by mharrall »

Find a marathon paddler buddy and nick his vee bars.

Martin

Steve B

Post by Steve B »

joe1 wrote:best way would be to tighten the strapes and use rachets aswell as your normal straps.
then put rope on the front and back of the boat and tie it to your car.
make sure you keep stopping to tightening them up and dnt go really fast like over 80 mph
this works well
Sorry Joe, that's not really correct. Overtightening won't be any more secure and could damage the roof bars, boat or straps leading to a dangerous failure. Ratchets are for tree trunks, not kayaks!! If they won't stay still without being mega-tight they're tied on wrong.

Agree about bow and stern ropes for very long boats but remember they are failsafe only, they shouldn't be part of the securing system. Having said that, what do the regular sea kayakers do? Do you ever bother with these?
Steve Balcombe

DanH

Re: Vee bars

Post by DanH »

mharrall wrote:Find a marathon paddler buddy and nick his vee bars.
Don't have any marathon paddler buddies!!! What kind of circles do you think I mix in??

mharrall

Re: Marathon buddies

Post by mharrall »

Don't have any marathon paddler buddies!!! What kind of circles do you think I mix in??
Slalom paddlers maybe? ;-)

Martin
An ex marathon paddler

DanH

Re: Marathon buddies

Post by DanH »

mharrall wrote:
Slalom paddlers maybe? ;-)
Ah yes, I have one or two of those :-)

Think the boat's are sorted though!!! I've just bent them to the roof rack and had done :-)

Dan

p.s. I've nothing against marathon paddlers, just haven't met many living up north!!!

joe1

Post by joe1 »

i dont think rachets are for tree trunks
i use them for my canoe
but i dnt put them on tight.
also padd the strap ends this will stop scrachers.
but you have to keep stopping to make sure they are loose tho.
rachets are the best and i always use them.

if in dowt then use lots of duck tape.

eagle

Re: How the hell do I put wave hoppers on the rook rack?

Post by eagle »

[best advice would be bin the wave hopper and stop being soft get a proper boat

DanH

Re: How the hell do I put wave hoppers on the rook rack?

Post by DanH »

eagle wrote:best advice would be bin the wave hopper and stop being soft get a proper boat
I happen to have several proper boats, as my original post states, the wavehoppers aren't mine and will probably never be used by me :-)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”