Martin Salter MP

Inland paddling
quicky

Martin Salter MP

Post by quicky » Tue May 19, 2009 10:31 am

He is at it again

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/salter ... 40509.html

Also reported in local papers… He is preparing for his job in his life after Parliament ..

Wildswimmer Pete

Re: Martin Salter MP

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Tue May 19, 2009 11:29 am

quicky wrote:He is at it again

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/salter ... 40509.html

Also reported in local papers… He is preparing for his job in his life after Parliament ..
Well, at least we'll soon be rid of the *&%$£. Meanwhile does anyone have any dirt on Salter re his expenses? Have we been subsidising his fishing, other than via the usual EA subsidy?

He definitely does believe that no-one has any right to our rivers except maggot-drowners.

Madswimmer Pete
Nili illegitimi carborundum

Grumpy Fisherman

Post by Grumpy Fisherman » Tue May 19, 2009 11:35 am

The cogent bit:
Later in the debate in an intervention to Roger Williams MP, Mr Salter drew a commitment from the Fisheries Minister Huw Irranca-Davies to reject the British Canoe Union’s (BCU) campaign for a statutory right of access. The Minister re-confirmed the Government’s existing policy of voluntary access agreements to deliver shared use of our rivers.

Martin Salter: "The Minister has not been in his post long, but he has impressed so far. It has been the policy of previous Ministers to say no to the absurd campaign being fought by the British Canoe Union for a statutory right to paddle up every river, ditch, stream and spawning ground the length and breadth of England and Wales. I am sure that the Minister will confirm that voluntary access agreements are the way forward. There will be problems if he does not."

Mr. Williams: "I knew that I would be able to incite the hon. Gentleman."

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Huw Irranca-Davies): "There is much more scope for work on voluntary agreements. I hope that the BCU will work with us to take that forward, including in the devolved nations. We are keen to do a lot more within the current settlement."

Ed Lefley

Post by Ed Lefley » Tue May 19, 2009 11:35 am

Unfortunately Salter as far as I'm aware has done quite a good job of keeping out of the press... just had a quick look on the Torygraph website, and this is what they had to say on him "Not all of the 98 MPs who supported Mr Maclean’s Bill in 2007 had questionable expenses. Some submitted low or zero claims including Labour’s Martin Salter and Ann Widdecombe, the Conservative MP. " (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... enses.html)

And here as well

Damn. I didn't want to be able to defend him. Damn.

edit:
However if you go onto here it does pull up some interesting bits.
‘A life without adventure is likely to be unsatisfactory.
A life without limits on adventure is likely to be short.’
Bertrand Russell

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Tue May 19, 2009 11:57 am

Grumpy Fisherman wrote:The cogent bit:
The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Huw Irranca-Davies): "There is much more scope for work on voluntary agreements. I hope that the BCU will work with us to take that forward, including in the devolved nations. We are keen to do a lot more within the current settlement."
Just goes to show how little Irranca-Davies knows about what he's talking about - the words "arse, speaking, through" come to mind. One of the devolved nations (Scotland) already has a statutory right of access, while the Welsh Assembly are going down that road.

Madswimmer Pete

Ed Lefley

Post by Ed Lefley » Tue May 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Having visited the Houses of Parliament last week with a group of young people from work, I came away with a complete distrust and lack of confidence in our elected representatives.

I think the interesting one would be if the English had their own Parliament or Legislative Assembly and they voted to have a similar position to the Scottish or the proposed Welsh situation, whilst Parliament kept their head where the sun doesn't shine! Think the result might be a constitutional headache!
‘A life without adventure is likely to be unsatisfactory.
A life without limits on adventure is likely to be short.’
Bertrand Russell

RichA

Post by RichA » Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Developed nations? Arrogant twat, what does developed have to do with it?

Anyway, the first developed (local) nations that come to mind are France, Italy, Spain, Austria, Germany etc etc. Is he suggesting that the BCU should start taking forward voluntary access agreements in these other countries, or have I misunderstood that completely?

SarahW

Post by SarahW » Tue May 19, 2009 12:33 pm

There's a bit here about his expense claims here (very uninteresting I'm afraid)...

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2050 ... im_scandal

With exception to his views on angling, he has been a very good local MP for Reading West. And he does have a point about the River Kennet, it's pretty disgusting.

Grumpy Fisherman

Post by Grumpy Fisherman » Tue May 19, 2009 12:41 pm

RichA wrote:

Anyway, the first developed (local) nations that come to mind are France, Italy, Spain, Austria, Germany etc etc. Is he suggesting that the BCU should start taking forward voluntary access agreements in these other countries, or have I misunderstood that completely?
I think if you read it again you will realise that you have.

Slaphappy

Post by Slaphappy » Tue May 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Does this guy actually fish? has anyone got a picture of him with his rod in the water (so to speak)!

If he is an active fisherman then this is incredulous biast opinion and surley does not reflect the opinion of the people in his constituancy, Reading west. There must be plenty of kayakers of all types along that stretch from marathon to freestyle etc.

Simple get the people of reading west to vote him out.

On the plus side he is for allowing gurkhas to stay and I personally 100% back him for that campaign.

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue May 19, 2009 12:58 pm

Anglers think that conservation means only one thing: Fish.
Anglers think that there is only one activity worthy of gracing our waterways: Fishing.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue May 19, 2009 1:20 pm

Slaphappy wrote: If he is an active fisherman then this is incredulous biast opinion and surley does not reflect the opinion of the people in his constituancy, Reading west. There must be plenty of kayakers of all types along that stretch from marathon to freestyle etc.

Simple get the people of reading west to vote him out.
I think he does fish.

Reading has a very successful marathon racing club and is also home to the more recent Wokingham Canoe Club which is another success.

I understood that he was standing down at the next election to be replaced by a canoe enthusiast.

Ray Latham

Post by Ray Latham » Tue May 19, 2009 1:35 pm

It would appear that most MP's are on the fiddle with expenses claims anyway so who gives a toss what they think or say at the moment. This may come as a surprise, but they are mostly obviously corrupt and dishonest in their own dealings so why should we think they would be any different in there dealings with the community and public that they laughingly serve.

quicky

Post by quicky » Tue May 19, 2009 1:38 pm

I understood that he was standing down at the next election to be replaced by a canoe enthusiast.
Would be an interesting option. How much do you need to stand as an MP in a constituency...

Timmaay

Post by Timmaay » Tue May 19, 2009 1:44 pm

morsey wrote:Anglers think that conservation means only one thing: Fish.
Anglers think that there is only one activity worthy of gracing our waterways: Fishing.
Just wondering how you know what Anglers think?
Rather sweeping generalisation there Morsey.
Where's Clungepipe?
"Just Givva"

Chris W

Post by Chris W » Tue May 19, 2009 1:47 pm

Adrian, I didn't know the Conservative canadidate for Reading West was a 'canoe enthusiast'.

Yes, Martin Salter commutes to London by train- no second home- and his constituency surgery is a cheap, grubby little office on the Oxford Road. However, given all the glossy updates that we keep receiving, telling us what he has been up to, I would guess that he's been making pretty good use of the £10K per year communications allowance. It may not technically be canvassing, but it sort of is, isn't it?

Such a shame he's an angler. I wish he was on our side. He can be pretty irritating, but he's a smart politician and a hard working local MP and campaigner. And he'll have more time on his hands if he ends up in the Lords...

Chris.
Chris Wheeler

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue May 19, 2009 2:17 pm

Timmaay wrote:
Do you disagree with what I said? Can you provide some evidence to show where anglers/fisheries have attempted to aid the conservation of the whole river environment and not just the promotion of fish stocks? I'll stand by my observation.

NPearce

Post by NPearce » Tue May 19, 2009 2:42 pm

It would be interesting to find out what views Huw Irranca-Davies actually has, having a quick look at his bio he is obviously of a younger generation than that Salter bloke and has also worked in sports and leisure management, something that activly promotes participation and inclusion to sports. He has also worked under Tessa Jowel, now Olympic Minister,and with that promoting yet more inclusion and social participation his position might be benificial in terms of paddling and access to sports.

Martin Salter obviously had a vested interest, unfortunatly his position makes it possible to do what is best for this interest no matter how blinkered that may be. I cannot find much about Huw being an angler, but would his vision be different if there is no vested interest at heart?
Hopefully the current statement is the line he has to stand by present as he is yet to take position, once in position he may be easier to talk to and more objective with regards to canoeing.

At least we can count on the BCU to put a consice and defined argument forward that will surely sway his thinking...

Or maybe I am just being optimistic.

Nathan

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue May 19, 2009 2:56 pm

The BCU can be very good at 'political' answers to questions.

Timmaay

Post by Timmaay » Tue May 19, 2009 3:20 pm

morsey wrote:
Timmaay wrote:
Do you disagree with what I said? Can you provide some evidence to show where anglers/fisheries have attempted to aid the conservation of the whole river environment and not just the promotion of fish stocks? I'll stand by my observation.

I don't need to show any evidence. I asked how you knew what Anglers thought not that I thought they were involved in many and varied environmental projects benefitting all river users.
So can you tell us where you got your crystal ball?
Until then I'll stick by my observation that it is a rather sweeping generalisation.
Where's Clungepipe?
"Just Givva"

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue May 19, 2009 3:24 pm

Deleted for inaccuracy
Last edited by Adrian Cooper on Tue May 19, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timmaay

Post by Timmaay » Tue May 19, 2009 3:36 pm

Edited to say
Thanks Adrian.
Last edited by Timmaay on Tue May 19, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's Clungepipe?
"Just Givva"

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer » Tue May 19, 2009 3:51 pm

Please don't rise to the bait

Geddit?

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue May 19, 2009 3:53 pm

So Timmaaaay with regards the river Kennet can you defend this as being in the interest of the terrestrial river environment?
The main quarry is Brown Trout, a native to this country, but many fisheries also introduce Rainbow Trout, a North American import which only rarely breed here.

RichA

Post by RichA » Tue May 19, 2009 3:53 pm

Grumpy Fisherman wrote:
RichA wrote:

I think if you read it again you will realise that you have.

Quite right, I take it all back. Sorry, I just get worked up when I see 'Salter' mentioned anywhere.

Timmaay

Post by Timmaay » Tue May 19, 2009 4:01 pm

morsey wrote:So Timmaaaay with regards the river Kennet can you defend this as being in the interest of the terrestrial river environment?
The main quarry is Brown Trout, a native to this country, but many fisheries also introduce Rainbow Trout, a North American import which only rarely breed here.
Moriseeeeey I'm not trying to attack or defend anything. I'm simply curious about your mind reading abilities.Can you see into the future as well? Do you know saturdays lottery numbers by any chance?
Surely not all anglers only interest is fish or fishing.And I'm sure there must be environmental agencies and charitable organisations who clean up river banks and canals ,for instance, whose membership include anglers.
So I still think your previous statement is a sweeping generalisation.
Where's Clungepipe?
"Just Givva"

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue May 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Timmaay (as you wish then-but just how many a's are in your signature?) it is my general belief that anglers first and foremost consideration is the conservation of fish. They disguise their actions under the general term "conservation" and seem to fool quite a few people. This is backed up by fisheries attempts to have avian culls, bad enough in itself but when attempts have been made to have culls just to see if avian culls will actually promote an increase in fish stocks it simply shows utter contempt for overall conservation! The angling trusts (again under the guise of "conservation"), as you assumed do clear river banks, they clear path ways specifically so anglers can get to along the river bank and they massively remove vegetation (regardless of the loss to bank or river life) purely for the sake of promoting fish production. As I pointed out the fish species in the Kennet are not indigenous but are shipped in for one purpose only and that is for angling. This is all standard practise across the country, the ideal that anglers attempt to portray of an entirely natural environment is far from the reality of their actions. Salter, fisheries, angling clubs openly deny access to swimmers, paddlers and other river users. They lay claim to natural resources as though they have absolute right of use.

Garth

Post by Garth » Tue May 19, 2009 4:49 pm

And I'm sure there must be environmental agencies and charitable organisations who clean up river banks and canals ,for instance, whose membership include anglers.
So I still think your previous statement is a sweeping generalisation.

That's just Morsey - you must make allowances.

Otherwise see

http://www.carmarthenshire.org

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Tue May 19, 2009 5:00 pm

morsey wrote: This is backed up by fisheries attempts to have avian culls, bad enough in itself but when attempts have been made to have culls just to see if avian culls will actually promote an increase in fish stocks it simply shows utter contempt for overall conservation!
As they wanted to do to the cormorants on the Dee in Chester.
morsey wrote: The angling trusts (again under the guise of "conservation"), as you assumed do clear river banks, they clear path ways specifically so anglers can get to along the river bank and they massively remove vegetation (regardless of the loss to bank or river life) purely for the sake of promoting fish production.
As Prince Albert Angling Society did at Hatchmere - a lake they don't even own, they only have the fishing rights. They vandalised the reeds of this SSSI to install huge, ugly platforms roughly 6' by 12'. Then they tried to evict we swimmers from the lake and even stopped little kids from paddling in the sandy bay. Without success I may add. ;)
morsey wrote: Salter, fisheries, angling clubs openly deny access to swimmers, paddlers and other river users. They lay claim to natural resources as though they have absolute right of use.
Here here. It's called greed, avarice and selfishness.

Madswimmer Pete
Last edited by Wildswimmer Pete on Tue May 19, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue May 19, 2009 5:03 pm

Garth remember when I quoted some of words included in the link you have just put up and you suggested that it had no link to you or other anglers!?! You remember, when you tried to make me out to look silly by not making the correct associations! It was on the fishing forum when I pointed out the massive discrepancy between the mission statement;
To promote the sustainable use of the river and its environment for economic benefit thus supporting rural regeneration in Carmarthenshire.
and the actions to remove estuary nets and hence was actually causing economic loss at the promotion of the pursuit of your members! Nothing to do with river conservation at all. You must remember, you laughed said I was silly to make such association between the anglers organising the removal and the CRT!

What is it to be then Garth!?! Either you have association or not, and it looks pretty clear from where I am standing.

Do not worry, of course I do not expect a straight answer.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”