the "Linn of Dee"

Inland paddling
beefyc1

the "Linn of Dee"

Post by beefyc1 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Basically a couple of weekends ago a couple of friends and I were trying to find some water in scotland and decided to head up the Dee valley. On the way to one river we stumbled across the "linn of Dee" This is a very small creek with a approx 10 Ft drop at the top landing into a creek about a metre wide with some pretty hardcore sections on the way down.

There is nothign on any guidebooks about this and I was wondering if anyone else had been crazy enough to paddle it in the past!!

here is a picture of the top section

Cheers
Keith

RVabdn

Re: the "Linn of Dee"

Post by RVabdn » Tue May 12, 2009 11:16 am

Bloody hell. Are you saying you paddled the linn? It looks awfull. Narrow walled in gorge with no access for safety and an undercut circulating eddy halfway down.

Fair play but I don't fancy it.

What else did you get done up there? The Garbh Allt is still high on my todo list.
Richard Veitch

box2k2

Post by box2k2 » Tue May 12, 2009 12:52 pm

I'm interested to know if you did it too.

I had a look at New Year, looked low enough that it would be possible, but with just my parents in tow it seemed a little silly.

Niall Milner

Post by Niall Milner » Tue May 12, 2009 1:17 pm

RVabdn wrote:Bloody hell. Are you saying you paddled the linn? It looks awfull. Narrow walled in gorge with no access for safety and an undercut circulating eddy halfway down.
Is that the undercut eddy on river right where all the water silently disappears at the edges without a hint of a cushion wave, or the next undercut eddy downstream where the water magically surges up from the middle of the eddy?......
RVabdn wrote:Fair play but I don't fancy it.
Ditto, given the horrid sumping water and the fact you're in a slot too narrow to swing a cat let alone use a paddle, I salute your bravery.

In higher water it looks quite washed out.

Niall

RVabdn

Post by RVabdn » Tue May 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Niall Milner wrote:Is that the undercut eddy on river right where all the water silently disappears at the edges without a hint of a cushion wave, or the next undercut eddy downstream where the water magically surges up from the middle of the eddy?......
Sounds even worse than I remember.
Richard Veitch

Seedy Paddler

Post by Seedy Paddler » Tue May 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Seem to remember of claims that it was run in the mid-80s in slalom boats. I think the Dee was fairly low and the Deeside slalom courses were too rocky so 2-3 guys ended up @ the Linn. Seem to remember it was more pinball off the rocks than paddle strokes and a requirement to spend a few evenings with glass fibre repair kits.

From memory I think one of the paddlers was Ali Bean but wouldn't swear by it and no idea what he is doing now!

Suspect that there is potential in lowish water and short boats - don't think you would want to be anywhere down that rocky-cleft in high water though!

CD

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Tue May 12, 2009 6:08 pm

Started putting together a plan to walk then paddle from Aviemore to Aberdeen in a kinda of Dee Descent type manner...Scotland boating is going to progress via monster Cali-Style walk in's just you see...

In short it hasn't happened yet as I've only just secured a job so that I get time off paid for so if anyone is keen to join me on this let me know.
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

beefyc1

Post by beefyc1 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:55 pm

Yea the water was pretty low when we did it, got some more pictures below of it, was pretty touch and go with the drop into a metre wide gorge which narrowed to just baout get a boat down. Then just a little bit further down theres an s bend with a bit of a siphon on the left. There is of corse the undercut on the right which you cannot actually see until you have paddled it and can see the other side of it to see the water comming back up! Was a little daunghting!!

Not sure that it would be possible in slalom boats due to the s bend in the middle, would have thought that they would be too long for this.

Enjoy the pictures...

Hmm the sign says it all

There is actually a person paddling in there!

Me about to get spanked by the s bend!

Would still be interested if anyone knows anyone else stupid enough to have paddled it!

Keith

ol

Post by ol » Tue May 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Wow! How did you do that?
The picture I mean...

Niall Milner

Post by Niall Milner » Tue May 12, 2009 10:58 pm

ol wrote:Wow! How did you do that?
The picture I mean...
Ummm, it was really technical ; )

I Googled "Linn of Dee"!.........
beefyc1 wrote:There is of corse the undercut on the right which you cannot actually see until you have paddled it
I can assure you, I spotted it without having to get in a boat!!

Niall

Kvadrat

Post by Kvadrat » Tue May 12, 2009 11:06 pm

Fair play, an alt view, paddled up to the cut but couldn't keep the boat stable in the boils to take a snap!
It's classed as the Navigable beginning of the Dee i think ?

Daz

RVabdn

Post by RVabdn » Wed May 13, 2009 11:58 am

Ryan P wrote:Started putting together a plan to walk then paddle from Aviemore to Aberdeen in a kinda of Dee Descent type manner...Scotland boating is going to progress via monster Cali-Style walk in's just you see...
I predict the walking part will be more fun than the paddling.
Richard Veitch

Janson

Post by Janson » Wed May 13, 2009 12:13 pm

You guys are nuts, did Matt and Jonny run it too?

Sam

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Wed May 13, 2009 12:34 pm

Yeah I think you might be right Richard.

Our plans of just doing a Dee Descent were kinda quashed as it’s been done before (there’s even a book about it) and when I asked the question had the falls been done before I was told yes, lots….but you know how it is in this sport.

Basically we would have walked the first day of the Lairig Ghru, the jumped on the river on the second day.

It’s a hell of a paddle out and we were going on the basis that we’d want as high water as possible for the paddle…meaning a pretty miserable walk in…last weekend would have been perfect!

Overall what a trip it would be!...another wee project in my head but I’m setting up a company just now and it’s taking all my non-girl, non-kayaking, non-photography time and I’d need at least a month of training to get fitter for this…I think…

Would love to see someone beat me to it! Especially now we know there’s no portages…well done chaps!
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Dug

Post by Dug » Wed May 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Epic stuff, was up there about three weeks ago bashing down the Quoich and the Lui. Had a look at the Linn, was maybe ever so slightly higher than in the photos and thought it did'nt look like much fun. Do able but not fun... well done for manning up to it!

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed May 13, 2009 1:59 pm

RVabdn wrote:
Ryan P wrote:Started putting together a plan to walk then paddle from Aviemore to Aberdeen in a kinda of Dee Descent type manner...Scotland boating is going to progress via monster Cali-Style walk in's just you see...
I predict the walking part will be more fun than the paddling.
Unless you are carrying the boats....

beefyc1

Post by beefyc1 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi sam

Matt ran it too but Johnny didnt fancy it especially as all morning we had to keep stopping for him to be sick out of the car! Was a very good days paddling tho!

Keith

Jack Watt

Post by Jack Watt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Seedy Paddler wrote:
Tue May 12, 2009 6:01 pm
Seem to remember of claims that it was run in the mid-80s in slalom boats. I think the Dee was fairly low and the Deeside slalom courses were too rocky so 2-3 guys ended up @ the Linn. Seem to remember it was more pinball off the rocks than paddle strokes and a requirement to spend a few evenings with glass fibre repair kits.

From memory I think one of the paddlers was Ali Bean but wouldn't swear by it and no idea what he is doing now!

Suspect that there is potential in lowish water and short boats - don't think you would want to be anywhere down that rocky-cleft in high water though!

CD
I'll confirm your suspicions as there are 2 paddlers i know of who did it back in the 80's with glass slalom boats who still paddle with AKC in Aberdeen.
- Craig Douglas
and
- Andrew Watt

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:22 pm

The climber John Menlove Edwards swam the Linn of Dee in spate in 1931. He also paddled a folding kayak from the Isle of Man to Cumbria in 16 hours, solo.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:57 pm

Jack Watt wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:37 pm
Seedy Paddler wrote:
Tue May 12, 2009 6:01 pm

CD
I'll confirm your suspicions as there are 2 paddlers i know of who did it back in the 80's with glass slalom boats who still paddle with AKC in Aberdeen.
- Craig Douglas
and
- Andrew Watt
Strange that Seedy forgot he was one of the paddlers that had definitely run it in the '80's?

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:34 am

Maybe they used plastic...

Whereabouts is this drop, as it comes up when I search for the Linn?:

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:49 am

It looks a bit like the River Lui, which would make sense as you can park at the Linn of Dee to walk to it

Check out the top of the drop in these pics - https://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/riv ... /river-lui

EDIT - I spotted the left / right arrows above to see the rest of the sequence, and it definitely is

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:10 pm

If I'd only checked out videos:

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:37 pm

andypagett wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:49 am
It looks a bit like the River Lui, which would make sense as you can park at the Linn of Dee to walk to it

Check out the top of the drop in these pics - https://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/riv ... /river-lui

EDIT - I spotted the left / right arrows above to see the rest of the sequence, and it definitely is
Yep, the Lui. Some more footage of it, and the Garbh (also nearby) from a few years back here:

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”