Hall of Fame

Inland paddling
BaldockBabe

Re: Hall of Fame

Post by BaldockBabe » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:08 pm

I would vote for Ester Matthews from Green Star. Even though I know her from the slalom side of things I gather that she has introduced 100s of juniors to the joys of paddling. She is dedicated to each and every one of them and still has time to help the likes of me!

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:37 pm

Chris seems to be coming up with all the best names, I would second Fred Wondre as he is so quiet and modest that most people do not know of his contribution, and no-one has yet mentioned Sue Hornby.

Diamond Dave

Post by Diamond Dave » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:19 pm

Everyone seems to have missed a sitter.
Bob Evans surely deserves some kind of a mention!
Dave Burne
Full Facers - the way forward!
http://www.fourbordersexpedition.com

Dr Robin

Post by Dr Robin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:17 am

Dan Yates and Bleddyn Lloyd pushing the limits of Welsh creekboating and running gnarl overseas (e.g. Dan's descent of Hypoxia).
I think the Fat Cats deserve a mention (Simon Tapley, Ali Marshall, Danny Noblett) for their recent exploratory trips, e.g. to Greenland.
But top is Mick Hopkinson for helping to develop the sport as we know it today.

Jace

Post by Jace » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Some very worthy suggestions, ans some nice ideas.

Don't forget to put your reasons behind your choice

Cheers

Jay

MikeR

Post by MikeR » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:28 pm

Terry Storey has to be in the mix for, in some way, being part of the vast majority of all river trips in the UK.

Mike.

George Mcmillan

Post by George Mcmillan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:01 am

I'd have to agree with most names mentioned above and would like to add a few myself

But.

Most of the great boaters who run the shit week in week out aren't sitting around here waiting on someone to vote them into the hall of fame.
I personally would vote a local lad who helped me get started, A lad who is approachable if I have had any questions and consistantly runs hard stuff week in week out in a tiny playboat. We all know someone who's helped us get started or improve but they aren't a paddling celebrity.
IMO thats where the hall of fame really should be looking at. The unsung heroes.

just my thoughts
Whats the worst that can happen?

Get Wet!

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 am

What about Alan Fox & MIKE JONES!

Does that also mean Simon Westgarth doesn't qualify as he competed for Ireland ;-)

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Phil Woodhead

Post by Phil Woodhead » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:09 am

Another two clear candidates:

Gerry Moffat
Chris Sladden

Phil Woodhead

Post by Phil Woodhead » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:12 am

Rob Hind

Grumpy Fisherman

Post by Grumpy Fisherman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:51 am

George Mcmillan wrote:I'd have to agree with most names mentioned above and would like to add a few myself

But.

Most of the great boaters who run the shit week in week out aren't sitting around here waiting on someone to vote them into the hall of fame.
I personally would vote a local lad who helped me get started, A lad who is approachable if I have had any questions and consistantly runs hard stuff week in week out in a tiny playboat. We all know someone who's helped us get started or improve but they aren't a paddling celebrity.
IMO thats where the hall of fame really should be looking at. The unsung heroes.

just my thoughts
As Nick pointed out earlier...

If no one has heard of them its not really a hall of fame is it?!

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:56 pm

I personally think that there should be a few in there as a "Hall of Infamy"... To give a few examples:
- Randy Fandango and the legend of Inverlair
- Magic Knees and the legend of Conwy Falls
or perhaps
- Jmmoxon (as i found out last weekend) for his accidental descent of Scwd Einion Gam.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

RichA

Post by RichA » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:01 pm

Poke wrote:Jmmoxon (as I found out last weekend) for his accidental descent of Scwd Einion Gam.
Recently?

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:36 pm

RichA wrote:
Poke wrote:Jmmoxon (as I found out last weekend) for his accidental descent of Scwd Einion Gam.
Recently?
Recently found out, rather than recently occured. No idea when it happened!

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:51 pm

How about Stuart Fisher(?), for his work on a couple of decades worth of Canoeist magazine... That inspired me when I was a wee nipper...

Also, how about that marathon paddler (Anna Hemmings?) that got ill, was told she'd never compete again, then went on to win the worlds...

No doubt more contenders in this thread: http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... =3&t=28036 - though did anyone ever find out why Jules wanted all these names?

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:11 pm

My vote goes to Darren Basson, I believe he has done more to push surf kayaking forward that anyone else ever has (he can also get air off a 6" ripple, not an exaggeration, I have seen him do it!), he has done wonders to boot it's popularity by getting awesome photos out there and has done wonders for boater / bordie relationships in the Newquey area. On top of all that he is a bloody nice guy.

Denzil

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:26 am

Poke wrote:
Jmmoxon (as I found out last weekend) for his accidental descent of Scwd Einion Gam.
Not sure that counts as my boat didn't run the drop!

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Anorak

Post by Anorak » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:02 am

Louise Wigmore, Debs Pinniger and Flea Jarvie as freestyle ambassadors

Brigit Thomas, Lara Tipper and Rosie Crips as inspirational expedition paddlers.

Anna Hemingway for her outstanding racing achievements but especially for proving there is life after Chronic Fatigue.

Debs Pinniger for her amazing freestyle, expedition, coaching and photographic skills and her overall promotion of paddlesport.

Caz

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:03 am

Gareth Marriott for getting our first olympic medal & Tim Brabants for making it gold.

Going back in history a bit - John 'Rob Roy' McGregor, Oliver Cock, Geoff Good, Major 'Blondie' Hasler.

Mike

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:58 pm

Personally don't like hall of fame idea but my heros are PC-AJ; we're just following their lead.

As for someone in Ayrshire running the shit, week in, week out, in a play boat...no comment!
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Chris W

Post by Chris W » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:08 pm

Hello Dave, I know the article you're talking about. It was a bunch of Kiwis who forgot the food in Bolivia. The article was in PB but I thought it was pretty funny so I bunged it in an article for CKUK, also about Bolivia. I can relate to their organizational incompetence- even after learning the hard way in the past, we still somehow almost managed to get benighted in Norway (of all places) back in 2005, with not even one head torch, lighter or watch between us. Doh!

Good talk by the way. Given that Oxford is my home town, you'd think I'd be capable of navigating my way between Riverside and the pub without GPS. Clearly not.

Anyway, whilst I'm not too keen on the whole 'Hall of Fame' thing either, it's a good excuse for a nice positive 'feel good' love in of a message thread and article, so why not?

A few more old timers....

Alan Byde
Andy Middleton
Jason Buxton
Bill Mattos
Steve Whetman
Bob Campbell
Huw Evans
Nigel Dennis
Aled Williams
Alistair Wilson
Peter Bray
Malcolm at Mega

As for the latest generation, well, where to start? There are so many. Makes you realise- UK boating really is thriving.

Chris.
Chris Wheeler

slider

Post by slider » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:49 pm

All names mentioned so far are of course legends of great blighty boating. But have Greg and Alex Nicks been mentioned? Fantastic boaters and they wont shout about it.
You poured me my pain in a dirty glass!

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:49 pm

Alex - post 11

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”