Bung Hole In A Project 52

Inland paddling
Kayaking Wizard

Bung Hole In A Project 52

Post by Kayaking Wizard »

Hey all,

I recently bought a Wavesport Project 52 and after a few weeks I love every part of it accept the absence of a bung hole. I know you can buy kits to insert your own bung hole on a boat, but bearing in mind this is a brand new boat, and I had a look at the stern and its not the flatest shape Wavesport have ever made.

I wouldn't drill it myself, but I have a friend who is great at finding and creating solutions to problems that shouldn't have been created in the first place.

But I just wondered, is it worth / possible to do on this boat, or is it worth just getting on with it and actually developing some muscles for a change by emptying it above my head.

I welcome any advice or suggestions,

thanks Chris

Rdscott

Re: Bung Hole In A Project 52

Post by Rdscott »

empty it normal and buy a sponge problem solved.

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Rdscott wrote:empty it normal and buy a sponge problem solved.

I'd agree. I have a project 45 (I'm a smallish woman) and though I find the absence of the bung occ a pain in the bum I have got used to just emptying as normal and using a sponge for what I can't drain. Not really worth bothering drilling holes in your shiny new boat in my opinion.

davebrads

Post by davebrads »

If I had a choice I wouldn't have a bung hole in any of my boats. If it's swamped, it takes too long to empty through the bung hole, and if it is only a bit of water in the bottom a sponge will be quicker, and you don't even have to get out of the boat.

You don't have to lift the boat to empty it. It's not often very flat by the side of a river, put one end of the boat higher up the bank and empty by lifting the other end and rocking up and down or side to side, then finish off with a sponge.

The best thing about this method is that if you forget to put your sponge back in the boat you don't sink, and it only costs 50p to replace.

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

Maybe drill a hole through the cockpit rim, like on the Jacksons. Is the best bit of design on a Jackson. Gets every last bit of water out to.

The Project may already have a hole there for an over thruster.

muirs

Post by muirs »

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind wrote:The Project may already have a hole there for an over thruster.
It doesn't, but I find the water drains through the holes for the backrest fittings when upside down, in almost the same way.
Muireann

Robson

Post by Robson »

I put a bung in my '52 it was fine, just start with a small hole then build up.

Use plenty of bathroom sealant too!
Can't think of anything to say in less than 50 cha

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Robson wrote:just start with a small hole then build up.

Hee hee!!! Sorry!!! I have a terrible mind!!! This made me giggle immediately! ;-)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”