How much junk can you fit in a Palm RT Whitewater PFD?

Inland paddling
MattBibbings

How much junk can you fit in a Palm RT Whitewater PFD?

Post by MattBibbings » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:44 pm

Who said Friday 13th was unlucky? My work decided that this year they would buy all the staff a new WW Bouyancy aid! Hurrah!

We get looked after a bit by Palm so I am torn between an Extreme II river vest or an RT Whitewater.

I would like to hear from those with experience of either.

I had an old Extreme II river vest (last version before this one) and liked it alot. I am drawn to it because of the large pocket (I carry a lot of stuff sometimes) but then I also like the look of the RT as it is zip fronted but I am concerned it's pocket is too small.

How much can you fit in it in your RT whitewater? I need to carry minimum small kinfe, Phone, 4m tape, x2 crabs and a set of keys. Sometimes waterproof digi cam too.

Cheers!

Mark R

Re: How much junk can you fit in a Palm RT Whitewater PFD?

Post by Mark R » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:49 pm

MattBibbings wrote:RT whitewater? I need to carry minimum small kinfe, Phone, 4m tape, x2 crabs and a set of keys.
Apart from the phone, that's pretty much what I carry. It's a squeeze.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

heybaz

Post by heybaz » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:05 pm

What Mark said, but try the phone in one of the inside mesh pockets to reduce the risk of rock-splatting it? Mine goes in the inner left side and my knife in the inner right. Both easy to get at through the arm-hole if you get what I mean. My sling / crab & Mars bar go in the front pocket...

meatballs

Post by meatballs » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:28 pm

My pocket is bulging with sling, knife, two carabiners, whistle. I don't use the inner pockets but maybe should think about it more.

Not a big fan of the pocket design tbh :(
Ben

Dom Pipe

Post by Dom Pipe » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:51 am

I carried 2 crabs, a sling, and a knife in my RT Whitewater. Always wanted to carry more stuff like camera and things but they had to go in the boat :0( but it was nice being able to put it on and off easily :0)

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:39 am

I do find the pocket on the RT WW just a bit too small. I have an Extreme RV and that has a good pocket. I often wear a drysuit with a zip on the back which is why I went for the jacket type rather than vest type.

I am currently looking for a zip-up BA with a better pocket. The Astral Green was recently recommended but I haven't looked at it yet. (I know you are not interested in the Astral but someone else might be thinking the same thing)

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:04 am

i tend to go for the minimum amount of stuff in my BA, knife, short line and bar of chocolate and that it. I work on the theory that if Im swimming the less stuff in the BA there is the higher Im going to float.

ChrisMAC

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:30 am

I will have to agree with the general consensus, it is a small and fiddly. Mine bulges out with a knife, a taped sling and couple of Krabs, I wish they had stuck more with the Axis extreme design of my older Palm BA, still had zip entry, but because it was more off to the side, it allowed a much more useful pocket on the front. As the RT one seems more like and after thought, even the zipped pocket seems wasteful, I use it purely for electrical tape and key for the splits and my whistle,
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat

AdrenalineJunkie

Post by AdrenalineJunkie » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:46 pm

go for the extreme ii river vest

Dug

Post by Dug » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:55 pm

Got BA but hardly any pocket room, I have a sling and knife in the pocket and thats about all that fits!

George Mcmillan

Post by George Mcmillan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:02 pm

They are a good BA but the pocket space is limited. I carry a knife,2 carabiners, sling & whistle.
Van Key goes inside the so called dry pocket and hasn't failed me yet.
I can also get my camera into the pocket but it's a squeeze. Everything else goes in a small dry bag in the boat.
I prefer this type of BA coz it zips up the front instead of over the head.
Whats the worst that can happen?

Get Wet!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Dug wrote:Got BA but hardly any pocket room, I have a sling and knife in the pocket and thats about all that fits!
If you clip a crab to the sling and tuck it up under your spray deck, you will have more room in the pocket for 'stuff'. The sling can be accessed very easily, maybe more easily than if it were in your pocket.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”