The new HPP?

Inland paddling
graemepaterson

The new HPP?

Post by graemepaterson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:41 am

It supposed to be undergoing commisioning today, which presumably involves switching the water on at varying cumecs.

Anybody near by to go and take some photos and update the UKRGB masses?

The official website has not bee updated for 2 weeks, no doubt so the next update can be the finished article with water in it. The last photos updated showed the site pretty much completed with concrete 95% set and most omniflotes in place.

DaveWortley

Re: The new HPP?

Post by DaveWortley » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Excuse the randomness.....

I had a dream last night I snuck into HPP and paddled the new course at night, at first I was a bit dissappointed with the lack of features, but impressed with the speed of the water and it was only when I got to the end of the course I realised they hadn't un-dammed the end and infact there was next to no water in the course. At that moment I had to do some ninja style espionage to avoid getting caught, and conviently I was in an inflatible kayak!? So I could just deflate it and run away and hide in a tent.

Somebody read something into that for me....

a boy named sue

Post by a boy named sue » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:46 pm

To much beer and cheese!

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:01 pm

Scumbag_Scout wrote: Somebody read something into that for me....
You were about to wet the bed :-)

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Scumbag_Scout wrote: I could just deflate it
I'm sorry to inform you that the dream was blatantly about sexual disfunction.

Anyone seen new HPP?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

S.P.

Post by S.P. » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:50 pm

I saw the course running on full blast today.It looks awesome,3 new drops no slack water loads of new eddies.The testers told me there is 1 week of testing and then Robert is your mothers brother.

RichA

Post by RichA » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:35 pm

I agree in that all the avaialble water is flowing, rather than wasted flat/still water. But the Looping Pool drop is gone, the drop into the Pyramid Pool has gone and the Muncher has a 2x3m rectangular section cut from the river right bank, apparently making an eddy next to the surfers left side of the Muncher. The wave itself is different from previous as a result, although not drastically so.

We were told that the bottom half of the course is effectively done, but they need to carry on fiddling with the top half. Hopefully that means that the Looping Pool drop will return and the entry drop into Pyramid Pool. At the moment the LP drop is flat and just a tounge of water! Building up the drop with the lego bricks on the lip of it will help, but I'm not sure to what extent. We'll have to wait and see! Sorry, forgot my camera.

pagetom79

Post by pagetom79 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Does anyone know when it will be open, or more to the point when we paddle the new Course.

orton1966

Post by orton1966 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:54 am

I wouldn’t worry too much about the looping pool or pyramid pools as the course was being run with very few of the tuning blocks fitted to get a base setting. I’m a little more concerned about the effect on the muncher of the new eddy but even this has the scope of some tuning. As one of the biggest sceptics about the changes I confess to being much more positive now.

Moving forward, there is about a week of testing and all the health and safety hurdles to jump but the current prediction is next weekend, a better answer will be available after Mondays user group meeting.

Certainly everything looks very good for the paddlefest event on the 28th & 29th of March, where for £5 you will be able to try boats from all the major white water manufacturers on the new course!

http://www.paddlefest.co.uk

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:05 am

The word on the street from my man in the know is that it's looking like it's got real potential. The Muncher and the Plughole look to be back on form, and the rest of the course has its power back with the full flow.

In terms of scheduling, this week's tweaking the configuration and then it should be opening to the public on Saturday. In theory, I'll be over in Nottingham for some user group commissioning this week, but we'll see how that goes. If it does happen, I'll make sure to take a camera.

P.

TomWardill

Post by TomWardill » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:22 am

Anything that looks like it'll sink?

(Not that it would make any different to me, being mostly incompetent anyways)
Tom Wardill

lizard

Post by lizard » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:56 am

Hi , Was sent this this morning, apparently water will be off for two days for tweaking but all set for paddlefest :)

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:57 am

TomWardill wrote:Anything that looks like it'll sink?
Looking at that top pic, the top seam might be back to its old 'dipping the head' ways. Further down - who knows? Might be able to tell you by the weekend...

P.

John Rudin

Post by John Rudin » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:01 pm

[/url]

MikeR

Post by MikeR » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Pete C. wrote:
TomWardill wrote:Anything that looks like it'll sink?
Looking at that top pic, the top seam might be back to its old 'dipping the head' ways. Further down - who knows? Might be able to tell you by the weekend...

P.
It only happened once in several sessions of trying, but the top seam once gave me slightly more than a 'head dip'. Spiky and I once spent 5 or 6 seconds in a deep, dark, quiet place. Chance would be a fine thing if it was reinstated to that standard!

Keep us posted Pete - I'll have to make the trek across to try it out sometime.

Mike.

BenW

Post by BenW » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Woohoo the boils back - i'm now officially excited bring on 10 seconds of downtime in the top pool...
----------------------------
www.mysterymove.com
----------------------------

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:44 pm

John Rudin wrote:[/url]
[/url]

Looks promising!

Lowri Davies

Post by Lowri Davies » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:33 pm

Hmm, while there are definitely promising elements in there, the fact it has to be on full release so there is no inlet wave is sad. It was a fun and friendly place to play and great for teaching or learning hole moves. Also, Muncher looks flushy with that 'extra eddy'.

I guess the proof will be in the paddling and there will be about 700 people ready to give it a bash on Paddlefest / NSR weekend. I hope there are decent features for the rodeo and the coaching workshops!

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Lowri Davies wrote:Hmm, while there are definitely promising elements in there, the fact it has to be on full release so there is no inlet wave is sad.
Think they were just flushing out the course.

RichA

Post by RichA » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:52 pm

When the course was again tested the next day, then top wave was fully formed as normal. The video does not show representative flow rates as far as I can tell - they were substantially higher in that video which will make the Muncher look flushy, as well as the top wave washed out. We'll have to wait and see.

Jamie@Openplayboater

Post by Jamie@Openplayboater » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:40 am

Well it'll hopefully be all good, at least it looks promising.

All this excitment about sinking has made me make my mind up and get my squirt out again for Paddlefest. All I need to do now is actually sort the outfitting so I can get in it, hmmmm...

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Pete C. wrote:In terms of scheduling, this week's tweaking the configuration and then it should be opening to the public on Saturday.
Looking like a change of plan - apparently the course now WON'T be open this weekend. I'll let you know any more dates as and when I hear them - but the best plan might well be to give slalom control a call before paddling...

P.

orton1966

Post by orton1966 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Not to put a damper on people’s enthusiasm but with people talking of paddlefest as the first “open” paddling weekend I need to clarify the paddling situation at the event.

Paddlefest will indeed be one of the very first paddling opportunities on the newly re-developed course. It is however a national paddlesport show with an anticipated 4000 visitors over the course of the weekend. It is entirely free to attend, visit the trade stands and any of the talks that are not already booked up. There will be plenty to see!

Participating in “on the water” activities does cost £5, there are clinics etc. that you can pre-book (go to www.paddlefest.co.uk) by the time the event runs many of these will be fully booked! These are the only opportunity to use your own boat on the course, all remaining course access is for demo’ing of exhibitors boats only. Please do not bring your own boat expecting to paddle, except on a pre-booked organised clinic.

The reason is a simple numbers game, the course can only support 100 or so paddlers at any one time and we are exspecting 2000 people per day, there will be over 100 white water demo-kayaks at the event plus all the additional, sea, touring and open boats also available. Access to the course will be via numbered bibs issued with the demo-boats provided via the exhibitors. There will be plenty to see and try but no additional “free paddling” slots

The bottom line is ths: please do not think of this event as an open paddling opportunity because you will be disappointed, it is however a national show, similar to previous ICE (international canoe exhibitions) but with the added benefit of being able to try products in there intended environment. Hopefully a great opportunity and a fantastic showcase for our sport

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:02 am

And of course NSR that weekend as well!? How is there going to be any space left on the water?

orton1966

Plenty of Water Time

Post by orton1966 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:41 am

We did have to consider water time long and hard before allowing the NSR to run the same weekend as our event. The provisions we made to ensure people attending both events have a good experience are as follows:

Firstly they are being run as two entirely separate events, course time has been scheduled to allow both events to run simultaneously i.e. On Saturday up until 2pm the NSR is only using a section from below the Muncher down allowing demo’s to operate from the start of the course all the way to the Muncher. Additionally the NSR continues much latter on the Saturday and Starts much earlier on the Sunday

Being two separate event means that a NSR competitor can’t just grab a demo from a paddlefest exhibitor and use it on the non NSR parts of the course, they can of course register and pay with paddlefest or they can borrow a demo kayak (some exhibitors are bring extra boats specifically for NSR competitors) and use it in the NSR competition.

Other considerations have been made including; different put in areas, the NSR being based around mid-course control, additional car parking, most NSR competitors will park on the campsite and a fery service will bring most to the event etc.

In short we think it is a positive addition, it ensures a competitive spectacle for non-paddlers or those just bored with shopping. Just like one of the big draws at the old Crystal Palace were the activities in the pool. Whilst there will still be sufficient demo’ing opportunity for those who come to Paddlefest wanting to try boats.

As per my previous post, we want people to come and enjoy themselves in the context of a paddlesport showcase. Hopefully seeing the best paddle-sports in this county has to offer. Remember that this is not just a White Water show we have, placid water activities and demo’s on the lake, plus sea kayaks and open canoes on the river, talks etc. There will be plenty of opportunities to get wet!

falling rain

Post by falling rain » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:51 am

orton1966 wrote: Participating in “on the water” activities does cost £5, there are clinics etc. that you can pre-book (go to http://www.paddlefest.co.uk) by the time the event runs many of these will be fully booked! These are the only opportunity to use your own boat on the course, all remaining course access is for demo’ing of exhibitors boats only. Please do not bring your own boat expecting to paddle, except on a pre-booked organised clinic.

... Access to the course will be via numbered bibs issued with the demo-boats provided via the exhibitors...
As someone hoping to demo some paddles will I be able to use those on the course with my own boat or will I have to look for a simultaneous boat demo? Or see if they magically make me able to cartwheel on flat water?... ;)

I feel like thats a bit of a muppetty question but hey I need to know. :) Looking forward to the weekend regardless
That for which we hope and pray...

lizard

Post by lizard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:34 am

The majority of exhibitors who will have paddle demos also have boats so it shouldn't be a problem to borrow a boat too.
Bottom line is that you wont be allowed on the course without a bib and these will be issued by the boat demo exhibitors.

Hopefully either way they will make you cartwheel, there are a couple of places left on the Cartwheel workshops run by Flow Free if your interested!

HPP WW Course

Post by HPP WW Course » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:42 am

Hi All,

A quick (but rather long) post from your friendly White Water Course staff here. I'd heard there was a thread on here discussing the course and thought i'd better respond.

The White Water Course re-opens to the public on Monday 23rd March. Opening times are as follows:
Mon, Fri - 10:00 - 19:30
Tue, Wed, Thur - 10:00 - 20:30
Sat, Sun - 10:00 - Dusk (call to confirm 'dusk' as it changes throughout the year)

As usual, the course will be booked exclusively from 08:00 - 10:00 by BCU World Class Slalom. We still advise to call before travelling to confirm that the course is open and not closed due to exclusive events or flooding. Our direct number is 0115 9824717 and if you get no reply, try Reception on 0115 9821212.

With regards to the Course itself, the bund (clay dam at bottom) was removed last Friday and water Flowed for the first time with very few omniflots (plastic mnovable blocks) in place. Since then we have been (and still are) in a commissioning process. This process is involving members of the User Group set up to ensure the needs of all users are met. As this process is not yet complete I ask that paddlers reserve judgment on the course and features until we have finished.
To put people at some ease I can confirm now that the Plughole and Muncher are significantly better thanks to increased flow speed and depth (i've paddled them). I can also confirm that we will work to ensure a number of decent playspots for the NSR / Paddlefest.

As I can't reply on here too often, please call us with any specific/urgent questions regarding the course.

Regards

Paul Shepherd (Shep)
White Water Course Supervisor

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 am

Cheers for the info, Paul - always good to have it from the horse's mouth... I'm really looking forward to the chance to paddle this new course, if for no other reason than to start enjoying the Muncher once again!

Weatherman

Post by Weatherman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:36 am

Does anyone know if the course has actualy opened today?

I've got the day off on wednesday so was going to go for a quick blast to see what its like.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”