Which boat... or boats !

Inland paddling
Betty

Which boat... or boats !

Post by Betty » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi, everyone, I am new here!!

I have been 'out ' of paddling for 10 years... having afamily, doing other things work wise. Now I am back! However, I have missed out on all developments so far as gear & boats go.

Don't laught... but I own a.... Perception Corsica (plastic pig river runner survive a grade 5 job) A Dancer and a motley collection of my slalom boats. I have Torsion (remember those?) paddles adn a couple of Ainsworth aluminium and plastic ones.

I wouldn't dare use my wetsuits BA's, spraydecs etc... they woudl probably fall apart!

So, for river running and playing about what would you guys recomend?

Thankies in advance, Lizzie

Phil Savage

Re: Which boat... or boats !

Post by Phil Savage » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:58 am

Welcome back to the sport - always good to hear of new/return paddlers.

For river running and playing I would suggest the Wavesport EZ. My experience has been that this is a comfortable, well made kayak ideal for playing and river running. 3 sizes available too so you can find the one that responds best for you. There are usually a few kicking around for sale either here or on ebay.

Phil.
Only dead fish go with the flow.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:40 am

Welcome back to the sport, good to have you back with us.

Do you really have a vanilla Corsica? They seem to be rare as hens teeth with the Corsica S and Overflow being more popular (I'm afraid it's rarity adds nothing to the value though).

Anyway, what sort of paddling will you be looking at initially and I know it is never a polite question but how much do you weigh? This will help people give slightly more informed suggestions.

As far as river running playboats go there are quite a lot to choose from with lots of them being rather good. My personal preference would be a Pyranha Seven-0 which I really rate as an excellent river running playboat (runs rivers really well, plays really well, what more could you ask for) but I also think that you could not go far wrong with a Dagger Juice or Wavesport EZG. There are many other perfectly good craft to choose from as well, your best bet is to try as many different boats as you can and see what you get on with.

Denzil

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Definitely "Boats" plural! You can never have too many.
Sounds like you have lots of space if you have managed to keep a Corsica, Dancer and slalom boats for 10 years without feeling the need to get rid of them. Have a river runner and a playboat and (before any one else says it) "Demo. Demo. Demo" before you buy.
Have fun choosing.
Liz

ChrisBainbridge

Post by ChrisBainbridge » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi, welcome back. My suggestion would be sell all your old boats on ebay describing them as suitable for beginners. At this time of year you can usually get massive amounts of money. This will then fund all your new boats and kit.

I would highly reccomend Jackson boats. The Fun series is a great boat for those who want a responsive hull that will run rivers and will also play. I personally thought the first series Fun was a better boat and these are now coming on the second hand market but the series 2 is also good. Most of the other boats reccomended were generally designed as the out and out play boat of their era and are now seen as a more all purpose boat. The Fun was designed specifically as an all rounder which would be very easy to roll and comfortable.

Chris
http:\\bainbridgesabbatical.blogspot.com
www.hand-surgery.co.uk
www.dupuytrens.co.uk

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:03 pm

ChrisBainbridge wrote:...Most of the other boats reccomended were generally designed as the out and out play boat of their era and are now seen as a more all purpose boat...
I disagree! The only boat that has been mentioned that was designed as an out and out playboat is the EZ bet even then it was designed as a playboat that would also be good at running rivers, note the original hype from wavesport.
Wavesport wrote:Let’s make it short and sweet: the EZ is. Wakeboards, trick skis, snowboards, skateboards and just about any other trick performance toy designed to be maneuverable and fun are short. Shorter is better when you want a boat that reacts as fast as you think. The EZ’s volume is concentrated around your body, keeping you floating high and your tips out of the water, where they can’t catch, making river running easier. Boofing, turning and eddy hopping will never be the same. Paddle to a shallow pourover and cartwheel until you’ve had enough without beating your boat and body on the rocks. Clean cartwheels on the bow and stern in flatwater, counter clockwheels, aerial moves, and every other trick in the book can all be yours. When you’re ready to take your local play spot for all it’s worth, the EZ will be there for the taking
All the other boats that have been suggested are, like the fun, designed as allrounders.

Denzil

Betty

Post by Betty » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:51 pm

Wow, thanks for that guys! So much information!

I was bought my Corsica in 1991, the only choice was a big one... or a Corsica S. I think that the Overflow was a later addition to the range. I don't really want to sell my big pink pig because my Dad bought it for me when I passed my GCSE's LOL. I will donate teh rest to the Scouts then they can use/eBay them as tehy see fit.

What is a Vanilla Corsica?

I am 5'9" and 11 stone.. gaaahhhh! (that is what 2 kids and a divorce do for you!) Lucky I have that Corsica after all.

Back in the day there were Perception, Dagger, Pyranah and ACE when it came to plastic boats.... the quality varied between brands. So, which are the best/better makes today? Ditto for gear.

El Pres

Post by El Pres » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 pm

What is a Vanilla Corsica?
Vanilla means in its original form, uncustomised from its "off the shelf form" often used to describe software.

Betty

Post by Betty » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:03 pm

I might as well have been in a cave for 10 yeasrs Lol!

lennart

Post by lennart » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:16 pm

With boats and gear is it more or less waht you pay for them. Some things have not changed:
Prijon makes still bomber plastic with not such briliant designs. and pyranha a bit the other way around.I think that have come closer to gether. An 800 pound will most of the times do better what is is desinged to do then a 300 pound boat.

what happened when you whre not paddling:
the boats went shorter (about 1 to 1.5 meter)
a lot of them got a flat bottom and rails/ edges in the sides)
The boats got more rocker so that they can turn more easely.
rodeo/freestyle has had a large influence and there have been a lot of moves invented.
they have made outfitting a lot more comfy.
a lot of boat will come in 3 sometimes 4 sizes.

I say demo demo demo
paddlefest should be a good oppportunaty to do that and see what is going on.

If you want a boat that will mkae live easy and paddles a bit like you are used to only a lot better, have a look at the liquid logic remix.

otherwise a riverrunner/playboat will the a thing to look at.
almost every brand has one or 2:

dagger juice
eskimo quadro
fluid flirt
jackson fun
liquidlogic cr
pyranha recoil
wavesport fuse

to name a few.
some to like and some not to like.

paddles a bit the same:
they have gone shorter
90 as an off set is thankfully gone. 45 is more or les the new standard.
you get what you pay for.

have fun on the river.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:30 pm

Betty, post your area and I'm sure someone will let you tag along on a trip and you can see whats happened over the last ten years out on the water with kit and boats, might even lend you a boat or point you in the direction of a shop that will lend you a demonstrator. Despite what you may read on here there are still lots of helpful people who will give you a steer in the right direction and a helping hand.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

chud

Post by chud » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:11 am

For basic stats, photos and occasional reviews on pretty much every boat produced since you last paddled look at the playak database. Dont try to read it all at once, youll go mad.

Some paddles come with cranked shafts to give better wrist ergonomics, some people like them, some dont, so you might want to try some out if you upgrade your current ones, also they cost more.

A lot of soft gear now comes in female specific designs though fit and opinions obviously vary. Drysuits are more common and some are relatively cheap.
Rich S

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:13 am

Betty wrote:Hi, everyone, I am new here!!

I have been 'out ' of paddling for 10 years... having afamily, doing other things work wise. Now I am back! However, I have missed out on all developments so far as gear & boats go.

Don't laught... but I own a.... Perception Corsica (plastic pig river runner survive a grade 5 job) A Dancer and a motley collection of my slalom boats. I have Torsion (remember those?) paddles adn a couple of Ainsworth aluminium and plastic ones.

I wouldn't dare use my wetsuits BA's, spraydecs etc... they woudl probably fall apart!

So, for river running and playing about what would you guys recomend?

Thankies in advance, Lizzie
I too left the sport for quite a while (15years) and was amazed at what you can find these days.
All the boats looked small, all the paddles looked at a strange angle and all the helmets looked shiny.

Luckily there are many people around (a lot of them on UKRGB) that will help with advice and guidence, I have asked and recieved from many people. Some of the advice can contradict others but that is going to happen with so many types of boat/paddle/styles etc.

Good luck finding something that will suit your style and needs, get out there and enjoy yourself, I know I have.

Strad

Post by Strad » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:23 am

Welcome back after the long break, I've had a pretty long break with minimal paddling, the performance levels of new kit will bring a smile.

I reckon the boat missing from the lists above is the new Pyranha Z:one, it's a jack of all trades at slightly lower price then many of those listed.

That said the Dagger Juice is a nice boat to paddle :).

I have to agree that I still can't get used to the low feather angles of new paddles...
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:01 pm

Most of the boats listed so far are pretty small! And verging to the play end of the spectrum. If you were using a Corsica (even at the time they were big) before then you might find it takes time to adjust to small play type boats. If you are after something that paddles rivers reasonably effortlessly and allows you to play on river waves and in the surf and be comfortable then lots of the modern river runners are fall more agile than boats of old.

Dagger GT series (And the dagger Axiom when they arrive are even sportier)
Pyranha Z-One (And the older Inazone)
Liquid Logic Hoss/Lil joe

Corsica's, Schelgels, ribbed bouyos! Thems was the day! :-)

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:53 pm

morsey wrote:

Corsica's, Schelgels, ribbed bouyos! Thems was the day! :-)

Thems might have been the days but it looks like you had as little water then as we do now. :O)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”