Things to do before you're 40........suggestions PLEASE!!

Inland paddling
wezzzy

Re: Things to do before you're 40........suggestions PLEASE!!

Post by wezzzy »

paddledragger wrote:
waverley610 wrote:Grow a full beard and 'tash combo while you still can; once you turn 40 it'll be all colours of the rainbow.
(also applies to girlie paddlers).

Where did you find this??? I thought there was no evidence out there of what I look like!!!!! As I am a girlie paddler I normally have it pink with bows in but this was a special occasion!

Phwaaaa!!!!

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

wezzzy wrote:

Phwaaaa!!!!
Well I'm coming up on 40 so I had to start somewhere. As this is all I could come up with I thought I better start this thread and ask for some REALLY good suggestions ;-)

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl »

If you're already that close to 40 without having a list of things to do, I'd suggest that
by your birthday you should have a comprehensive list of things to do before you are
fifty (and a draft of things to do before you are sixty). Getting lists that long
together should be a worthwhile way to spend the next several months...

Andy

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

50 and 60 ?? Yikes!! I'll think about those after my 40th methinks!! Clearly I'm rubbish at planning that far ahead or I wouldn't have left this one so late!! ;-)

However!!! There are one or two suggestions on here that I really like and I can't possibly do before my 40th even if I was married to Richard Branson, so as you say shoving em on a list to achieve at a later date and making that date on or before my 50th is a rather good plan!!!! I'll think about 60 some other time Hee hee!! :-)

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl »

There are one or two suggestions on here that I really like and I can't possibly do before my 40th even if I was married to Richard Branson
I seem to recall that the person who is (or was - I don't follow these things) married to Richard Branson, before her 40th birthday, appeared in Mayfair ... you weren't thinking of that were you ?

Andy

Colin C

Post by Colin C »

Andy, you may have to explain what Mayfair is , knowing it sure marks you out as being over 40.
Colin

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

geyrfugl wrote:
I seem to recall that the person who is (or was - I don't follow these things) married to Richard Branson, before her 40th birthday, appeared in Mayfair ... you weren't thinking of that were you ?

Andy

Hee Hee, that's one I hadn't thought of...........................I do own a pair of sparkly pole dancing shoes - now.......where's my phone?? ;-)

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks »

Finish decorating the bedroom and fix the squeaky door in the front room?

Myself, I have 10 days to get it in! I think a small plop down the Lynn this Sunday, then the weekend of my birthday Paddling or Mountain Biking in Wales I think?!?

Or Zorbing might be cool!

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Performance Kayaks wrote:Finish decorating the bedroom and fix the squeaky door in the front room?

Myself, I have 10 days to get it in! I think a small plop down the Lynn this Sunday, then the weekend of my birthday Paddling or Mountain Biking in Wales I think?!?

Or Zorbing might be cool!
WAHEY!!! Have to remember to pm you a Happy Birthday!!

All sounds good fun, hope you really enjoy it. Zorbing seems a great fun idea too though! Decorating and fixing door, hmmmmm not such good fun! Unless you get really creative with the brushes and what you're slapping the paint onto! ;-)

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks »

Performance Kayaks wrote:I think a small plop down the Lynn this Sunday
Oh My God, this is what happens as you get older. My mind is leaving me already!

I'm already booked for a Land Rover Trial this weekend. So no paddling, but the trial is still really cool too.

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Performance Kayaks wrote:
Performance Kayaks wrote:I think a small plop down the Lynn this Sunday
Oh My God, this is what happens as you get older. My mind is leaving me already!

Who said that??????? Mind? What's one of them?? Are you sure you're just approaching 40? Hee Hee ;-)

geoff.p

Post by geoff.p »

Things to do before you're 60...........suggestions PLEASE!!

Perhaps grow up would be one suggestion....?
Last edited by geoff.p on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Pawlatta,
aka 'expert swimmer'

www.squarerock.co.uk
www.tvfreestylers.co.uk

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Performance Kayaks wrote:Myself, I have 10 days to get it in!
Looks like I'll beat you there by a day. I've already been having 'senior moments'!
geoff.p wrote:Things to do before you're 60...........suggestions PLEASE!!

Perhaps grow would be one suggestion....?
No thanks, get too much of that being forced on me by too many people (society) already. Just cos I'm getting older doesn't mean I'm going to grow up.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

geyrfugl wrote:If you're already that close to 40 without having a list of things to do, I'd suggest that
by your birthday you should have a comprehensive list of things to do before you are
fifty (and a draft of things to do before you are sixty). Getting lists that long
together should be a worthwhile way to spend the next several months...

Andy
How about putting a fiver or tenner a month into a special savings account, and when you reach that next big target, you'll either have nothing cos the banks have all gone down the drains, or a wad of cash for a big blowout!

geoff.p

Post by geoff.p »

Big Henry wrote:

Perhaps grow up would be one suggestion....?
No thanks, get too much of that being forced on me by too many people (society) already. Just cos I'm getting older doesn't mean I'm going to grow up.
I agree growing older is mandatory, growing up certainly isn't....... Stay juvenile I say??
Dr. Pawlatta,
aka 'expert swimmer'

www.squarerock.co.uk
www.tvfreestylers.co.uk

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Big Henry wrote:

Perhaps grow would be one suggestion....?

Hee Hee! I agree wholeheartedly!!! With Geoff P as well on the stay juvenile front! I might be getting older too but like you Big Henry, no intention of growing up!!! As you say, society attempts to force it on you, all that 'Aren't you a bit old to be behaving like that?' and 'Act your age woman' etc etc I hear that a lot! Yawn Yawn Yawn!!! Life is for living - too many people give up and settle for the pipe and slippers cos they think their age indicates they should! Never sat in a kayak in my life before the age of 35 and sorely wish I had now. I am STILL a bit of a nervous paddler and it's coming to me slowly I admit (ooooh that'll be me age!!!) , still need lots of encouragement but even the slightest thought of not doing it cos of my age - don't be silly-though that seems to be the biggest question I get - 'What made you start that at your age?' You'd think nearly 40 was nearly cashing in me chips!

Stashing a bit of cash regularly is an idea I really like too for the next milestone! Unless I win the lotto of course - then I'll age even more disgracefully and invite you all to join me!! ;-)

rich gunton

Post by rich gunton »

Yeah rip it up. You never know whats round the corner. I seem to be finding myself to be the oldest one in my group of boating mates more and more often. Not long before ill be forty.

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

rich gunton wrote:Yeah rip it up. You never know whats round the corner.
This is so true. An extremely lousy Christmas and New Year probably made me realise that as I said above, life is for living (and it's way too short). Let's fit as much fun in as we can! If you can't go a bit mad at least now and then it's a poor do, as my dear old dad used to say often!! Mostly after one too many rum and cokes!! Hee Hee

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Grumpy old man wrote:
Big Henry wrote:At least you've still got some months to go, my 40th is in a fortnight! Anything I can do before then?
Hi Big Henry
You could go to the Barrage before it closes and go to the Doug Ammons talk at Teeside Uni on the 8th of March..! :-)

Grumpy
Well I managed one out of the two. It's all down hill from today, for me. Actually I think it started all heading downhill about 24 years ago!

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

I seem to remember spending the few days leading up to my 40th helping my wife hobble about Crete as she'd just been run down by some spaz on a bike and had a broken nose and was much bashed, torn and bruised.
Happy days.....
Giles

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Randy Fandango wrote:I seem to remember spending the few days leading up to my 40th helping my wife hobble about Crete as she'd just been run down by some spaz on a bike and had a broken nose and was much bashed, torn and bruised.
Happy days.....
Giles
Aaaaah, you're such a sweetie!!!! Will you help me hobble about then when you discover me lay on a river bank after I've attempted something dumb that's got a ripple on it (about the level of my ability) and got meself battered hitting every tree and exfoliating me face on the river bed???? Very good for removing blackheads them riverbeds ya know!!! ;-) I think I might need some more coaching!!!!!!!!

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

I suspect after the events of 3 weeks ago my opportunities for paddling anywhere with any kind of ripples on it might be few and far between....
Giles

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Randy Fandango wrote:I suspect after the events of 3 weeks ago my opportunities for paddling anywhere with any kind of ripples on it might be few and far between....
Giles
I might be being completely thick, dim and blind here but what events happened three weeks ago???

rich gunton

Post by rich gunton »

He got a baby,

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Big Henry wrote:
Well I managed one out of the two. It's all down hill from today, for me. Actually I think it started all heading downhill about 24 years ago!

I must have got my dates wrong!!! Thought your bufday was 2moro!!!!! Sorrreeeeee and HAPPY 40TH !!! Hope you have had a brilliant day!!!

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

paddledragger wrote: I might be being completely thick, dim and blind here but what events happened three weeks ago???
rich gunton wrote:He got a baby,
Yep.
Aaawwww....
Giles

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

rich gunton wrote:He got a baby,

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! In that case BIG congrats Randy!!!!!! OMG HOW CUTE!!!!!!! Gorgeous!!!! Ours is 10 and though we do our best he does sometimes put the mockers on the paddling the wee sweetie!!! Which is why I am always flaming desperate for coaching - just start to get somewhere then have no childcare for ages and confidence goes to pot!! I can't afford to pay a babysitter for all the paddling days and recent events mean family can't have him so much so we struggle to get the practice unfortunately and he does paddle but is a relative beginner so when we do take him out it has to be stuff that doesn't stretch us at all therefore lacking moving us on. Wouldn't be without him for the world, best thing to ever happen to me but someone to watch him while mum and dad get battered would be fantastic!! A riverside creche type whatsit while we practice!!! Hee Hee!!

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

paddledragger wrote:...got meself battered hitting every tree and exfoliating me face on the river bed???? Very good for removing blackheads them riverbeds ya know!!! ;-) I think I might need some more coaching!!!!!!!!
The first time I tried surfing in the sea I managed this, and filled my nose with sand.
paddledragger wrote:I must have got my dates wrong!!! Thought your bufday was 2moro!!!!! Sorrreeeeee and HAPPY 40TH !!! Hope you have had a brilliant day!!!
Thank you very much. My wife managed to be on night shift last night and tonight, so I had to be quiet all day! Can't even get out this w/e cos the in-laws are coming to stay.

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Big Henry wrote: Thank you very much. My wife managed to be on night shift last night and tonight, so I had to be quiet all day! Can't even get out this w/e cos the in-laws are coming to stay.

OMG!!!!! Night shifts? Being quiet? IN LAWS??????? All on your 40th!!! You poor man - how inconsiderate of them ;-) Hope they all treated you to a stupidly expensive present in return for you being so darn understanding!!!!!

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

I got one of these:
to go with a pair of these I've just bought in anticipation:
along with other odds and ends I thought I should splash out for myself.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”