Things to do before you're 40........suggestions PLEASE!!

Inland paddling
paddledragger

Things to do before you're 40........suggestions PLEASE!!

Post by paddledragger »

Well guys and gals, I will hit 40 mid December and have just realised that I appear to have no aims or ambitions - sad individual that I am!!! (or am I just too content with my lot?) I can't even come up with a huge and ridiculously expensive pressie I would aspire to on the date!!!!

Apart from the obvious of improving my paddling - I am not up to big big stuff yet!!!! Let's have your suggestions please. No matter how wacky, ridiculous or just plain stupid I want to hear em all!!!

Help me find something to get excited about after a particularly rubbish Christmas, and I'd like a damn good laugh at the same time!!!!

:-)

Poke

Re: Things to do before you're 40........suggestions PLEASE!!

Post by Poke »

My parents went on a Grand Canyon trip with Gene 17 last September..

Not cheap, but an awesome experience.

You don't have to be a G4 paddler either. Up until 12 months prior to the trip my mum only paddled 2 or 3 times a year on an absolute maximum of G3 and had a 50/50 roll, but still only portaged (well, went on the raft) down a handful of rapids... She's way more confident paddling now too thanks to the coaching.. Luxury living too - apparantly the food was awesome.

It's on my wishlist.. once I've got a bit more money!!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

Met your Dad at weekend on the Washburn Poke, top guy, great paddler aswel.

I've heard new Zealand is nice in December, lot's to see and do out there, plenty of nice rivers. (from the looks of things!)

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

I'm off to the Massif Central...

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

jimkennedy

Post by jimkennedy »

Maybe do like this guy...

I Will Helix Before I Am Forty

Jim.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

At least you've still got some months to go, my 40th is in a fortnight! Anything I can do before then?

dwbald

Post by dwbald »

Base jump...
And release pressel...
Cheers Dave B

shanclan

Post by shanclan »

Plan to have your mid-life crisis in increments rather than in one big hit. I turned 40 a while ago and since then I have done something each year that looks like a mini mid-life crisis, but doesn't involve running off with a pixie or growing a pony tail. So far I have taken up surfing, passed my motorbike test, started kayaking and bought a stupid car. This year I am thinking about gliding or paragliding

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Paddle around Britain (actually I've pout my finish date back a year or two, but it's a great target to have)
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

james fleming

Post by james fleming »

Turning 40 is not that bad, but I agree you need to have some sort of targets. Not just as your turning 40 but in life.

You don’t need to be doing the big big stuff to enjoy your paddling. Set small targets, not too easy, and try to aspire to them. They could be as follows.

Fitness. You need to be reasonably fit to kayak. So a small fitness regime and watching or improving your diet.
Equipment. Get that nice new Stikine dry suite that has just hit the shops. Or, something else that suits your wallet.
Water. Try and go for a different river, lake, loch, or combination to do something different. Or go for a challenge.
Network. Go and try and meet up with different paddlers. Go to the WWPF and see what the score is. Or go abroad.

However, out with kayaking you could do that base jump, fancy holiday or like.

Once you’ve turned 40 it’s a tad more difficult in stretching and injuries don’t go away that quickly.

I turned 40 last year, OMG, and am paddling better (IMO) than I did when I was 20 or 30. That’s partly due to the free time I have now. My fatherly duties are all done with my kids grown up and families of their own, so more time to play.

I’m of the opinion you need goals to aspire to and drive that little adrenalin junkie inside everyone of us, as small as it might be. Feel better for it and live better.

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

Mark R wrote:(actually I've pout my finish date back a year or two, but it's a great target to have)

Does that mean you're ageing backwards then ;-) Can I have what you're having!!

Wow, there are some brilliant suggestions and great advice on here folks, have to rob a bank, or win the lottery (or both and blame the bank robbing on a mid life crisis).

Keep em coming!! I definitely do need to up my paddling and get out with some new fellow paddlers though, my paddling has stagnated somewhat through just not doing enough so that's a great aim to have. I am reasonably fit but no harm in upping that side either!!

I'm hoping you will all help me age very very disgracefully for a very long time! Woohooooooo!!!

Chrace

Post by Chrace »

dwbald wrote:Base jump...
Haven't tried base jumping, but unless you go really risky and do it unsolicited it costs an arm and a leg and takes like 50 jumps.

However, DO go do a skydive if you haven't already. A static line skydive can be done in a day (this is the one where you just jump out and a line attached to the plane will pull the chute) and will cost you around £150 or inc. training. This means it is still a solo jump, not a tandem, which makes a heap of difference playing mind tricks when you push away from the plane.

The adrenaline boost is amazing and will make your kayaking fears seem like reading a Mickey Mouse mag. It really is well worth trying just once.

Grumpy old man

Post by Grumpy old man »

Big Henry wrote:At least you've still got some months to go, my 40th is in a fortnight! Anything I can do before then?
Hi Big Henry
You could go to the Barrage before it closes and go to the Doug Ammons talk at Teeside Uni on the 8th of March..! :-)

Grumpy
Paddle well, Have fun.

Lloyd Allin

boomer

Post by boomer »

Bugger !!!
I turned 40 on the 12th of Feb

I'm going to start a thread 'What to do before your 50'
I'm working on the assumtion life begins at 40 :-0
Iain

buck197

Post by buck197 »

Don't worry I need to start another thread Things to do before six zero!!!
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer »

Go to Oktoberfest
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

garya

Post by garya »

Ride a big custom Harley on a road trip across the States

Gary

Chris.F

Post by Chris.F »

Hitchike from Perth to Perth (Scotland, Australia respectively) - my Dad did something similar way back and I'm thinking of following in his footsteps in good time. Though he did hitch through Iran and Afghanistan which might not be so easy now!

Took a year or two, so by the time you get home you'll no longer have the problem of dealing with that big 40 milestone :)

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

boomer wrote:Bugger !!!
I turned 40 on the 12th of Feb

I'm going to start a thread 'What to do before your 50'
I'm working on the assumtion life begins at 40 :-0
Iain

I also am working on this assumption!! Must do severely shocking things and then shrug my shoulders and go 'Well I'm 40 now!! Whaddya expect???' Then obviously they will remove the handcuffs and just say 'aaaaahhh that explains it, you're free to go madam' Might ask if I can keep the handcuffs though ;-) It's great living on my planet!!!!

Though Buck aint they saying these days that 60 is the new 40?? Wooohooooo

andya

Post by andya »

Finish the Devizes to Westminster?

Was on my "must do list" Now ticked off and firmly in the "never again" category.

Paddling alone on a dark night on a VERY flooded river (98) is far more scary than G5! But I wouldn't exchange the experience of walking up the steps at the end for anything!

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

Still got a few years left before 40 (Not ehough though) but you have given me ideas to be getting on with.

How about what Top Gear did? Scooters across Thialand?

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

wezzzy wrote:Still got a few years left before 40
Okay Okay stop boasting you wee young thing!!! ;-) Hee Hee

Glad this thread is giving plenty of ideas to other peeps too though for things to achieve.

Like the 'Top Gear' thought!

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

paddledragger wrote:
wezzzy wrote:Still got a few years left before 40
Okay Okay stop boasting you wee young thing!!! ;-) Hee Hee

Glad this thread is giving plenty of ideas to other peeps too though for things to achieve.

Like the 'Top Gear' thought!
So young at 36ish .lol.

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

wezzzy wrote:
So young at 36ish .lol.

A mere baby! I like the ish! It can cover so much Hee hee! Loads of time to be planning what nutty stuff you intend to get in before you turn into one of the mid life crisis brigade. ;-) Far from becoming more sensible I suspect I am getting far worse!!

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

paddledragger wrote:
wezzzy wrote:
So young at 36ish .lol.

A mere baby! I like the ish! It can cover so much Hee hee! Loads of time to be planning what nutty stuff you intend to get in before you turn into one of the mid life crisis brigade. ;-) Far from becoming more sensible I suspect I am getting far worse!!
I've wasted so much time drinking and womanising over the last 20 years, I let my paddling slip (for 15years) and my wasteline grow.

Got back into paddling for a spot of gentle exersise and something more social than shouting over a crowded bar, I am now throwing myself down silly bits of water shouting over the roar of the river.

Bring on the sky diving, mointain climbing and the fast cars (Need to get rid of my diesel rover)

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

wezzzy wrote:
I've wasted so much time drinking and womanising over the last 20 years, I let my paddling slip (for 15years) and my wasteline grow.

Got back into paddling for a spot of gentle exersise and something more social than shouting over a crowded bar, I am now throwing myself down silly bits of water shouting over the roar of the river.

Bring on the sky diving, mointain climbing and the fast cars (Need to get rid of my diesel rover)
All of the above sounds perfickly acceptable to me - I should do more of the drinking and manising permanently, especially before Dec!! Your aim could be to reduce your waistline if you so wish!! I got into paddling cos some nutter told me how much they enjoyed it - and I listened - stupid stupid woman!!

Well my car's fairly nippy but it won't carry my boat, as for the sky diving and mountain climbing ????? Let me know when and where.....................................I'll come and take the pics for prosperity!!!! Hee Hee

waverley610

Post by waverley610 »

Grow a full beard and 'tash combo while you still can; once you turn 40 it'll be all colours of the rainbow.
(also applies to girlie paddlers).

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

waverley610 wrote:Grow a full beard and 'tash combo while you still can; once you turn 40 it'll be all colours of the rainbow.

I refuse to have more hair on my chin than on my head. (I shave both every day or 2)

stewarty905

Post by stewarty905 »

Get Pished for starters and when your pished make the decion on what your doing, when you sober up it does not seem like a good idea but theres no way out then....hey presto no backing out and you wont forget it for years to come, na but ohnestly a good thing might be to give blood if you dont already even just once

paddledragger

Post by paddledragger »

waverley610 wrote:Grow a full beard and 'tash combo while you still can; once you turn 40 it'll be all colours of the rainbow.

Where did you find this??? I thought there was no evidence out there of what I look like!!!!! As I am a girlie paddler I normally have it pink with bows in but this was a special occasion!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”