Page 1 of 1

Adding quotes?

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:53 pm
by George Mcmillan
How do I add quotes in replies and in threads?

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:58 pm
by Adrian Shanahan
George Mcmillan wrote:How do I add quotes in replies and in threads?

You mean just like this, its pretty easy just go to the post you want to quote and press the quote button.

Image

and ta da there you go.

Or you can just reply as normal and in the "reply text box" press the quote button

Image

And type what you want in between the brackets ] [

You can also

Image

which then looks like this

Image

Any more questions just ask away.

Adrian

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:39 am
by neilfarmer
George Mcmillan wrote:How do I add quotes in replies and in threads?
As said above, or, you copy the text that you want to quote and either side of it, you put the following {without the * as if it were not there, it would actually become a quote and you would not see it!!}
.... text to be quoted in here ....
and if you want to put the persons name in:
the persons name wrote:.... text in here....

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:39 am
by neilfarmer
George Mcmillan wrote:How do I add quotes in replies and in threads?
As said above, or, you copy the text that you want to quote and either side of it, you put the following {without the * as if it were not there, it would actually become a quote and you would not see it!!}

[*quote] .... text to be quoted in here ....[/quote]

and if you want to put the persons name in:

[*quote="the persons name"].... text in here....[/quote]

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:51 am
by maryinoxford
While we have a how-to thread running, can somebody remind me how, if I want to post a link, I can put neat text instead of the whole URL? I recently posted http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet_W ... esstQQtZkm
-- when I'd like to have named the link "Canon Outlet".

Thanks,
Mary

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:04 am
by Adrian Shanahan
maryinoxford wrote:While we have a how-to thread running, can somebody remind me how, if I want to post a link, I can put neat text instead of the whole URL? I recently posted http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet_W ... esstQQtZkm
-- when I'd like to have named the link "Canon Outlet".

Thanks,
Mary

Mary

Just like this, follow the highlighted bits four easy steps, any questions just ask.

Image

Just to clarify all you want is the last line in the picture.

It comes out looking like this



Insert text here

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:53 am
by MikeB
Nicely done Adrian - and for future ref, over on the Sea site, in the Almanac, there are to be found all the details of how to do all this piccy posting and hyperlinking.

Mike.

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:19 pm
by Adrian Shanahan
MikeB wrote:Nicely done Adrian - and for future ref, over on the Sea site, in the Almanac, there are to be found all the details of how to do all this piccy posting and hyperlinking.

Mike.

RIGHT HERE details of how to do all this piccy posting and hyperlinking

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:12 pm
by maryinoxford
Thanks, Adrian and Mike.
Mary

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:06 pm
by George Mcmillan
Yeah folks thank you for taking the time to reply in depth. I'll give it a go soon.

Thanks again

george

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:09 pm
by Tony Aiuto
I haven't been able to figure out how to insert multiple quotes from different posts, can anyone help with this too, please.

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:00 pm
by MikeB
Tony Aiuto wrote:I haven't been able to figure out how to insert multiple quotes from different posts, can anyone help with this too, please.
Dead simple - click the "quote" button - type your stuff in response to the first quote. Now, scroll the screen and verily, there you will see all the other responses. Each of which has its own Quote button.

You could even be uber-clever and quote from other threads, but that will require a little opening-in-a-new-tab action accompanied with some copy n paste. I guess it'd be a good idea to also have a hyperlinked ref to the other thread and having thought about the whole thing it's just going to become a nightmare to follow that so maybe we should just stick to quoting from within the thread we're looking at.

Like this --
maryinoxford wrote:Thanks, Adrian and Mike.
Mary
Thanks Mary - glad to help. I guess I really need to rewrite the "how to" but as I'll also need to redo all the screen grabs it's a big job!

Mike.

Re: Adding quotes?

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:37 pm
by Tony Aiuto
Mike, I'd like to add my thanks to that already given. It's simple when you know how, init.

Cheers