Peak district rivers and access

Inland paddling
DannyH

Peak district rivers and access

Post by DannyH » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi
Looking for a bit of advice...

A quick check of the web suggests Peak District kayaking is a bit limited, and access pretty difficult? The "official" line seems to be no paddling anwhere - http://www.matlockcanoeclub.co.uk/accesspeakpark.php , though that's sated 2006 so hopefully a bit out of date?

Don't want to upset any local access deals or anything, but will be in the peak this weekend and quite fancy an afternoon on a river, so if anyone has any sugestions for something around grade 3 that isn't going to cause too much grief, it be be very much appereciated.

Cheers
Danny

AndyK

Re: Peak district rivers and access

Post by AndyK » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Its looking like a gritstone weekend here as there is no water at the moment and nothing on the forecast.

DannyH

Post by DannyH » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks, rock boots will go in too I think

John W3

Post by John W3 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:31 pm

Have recently paddled the River Wye between Buxton and Litton Mill, as described in the Rivers section and then further on to past Cressbrook Mill. This was quite a good run, up to Grade 3 although the day we did it some more water would have improved it. It does have some flat sections.

We did not have any access problems and there was also a group from Manchester on it.

Having said that a friend of mine repeated the trip last week and had some 'discussions' with two people claiming to be bailiffs.

'Whiskers

Post by 'Whiskers » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:28 am

There is the Mighty Don, info here. Paddled that once or twice and it seemed like a reasonable 2/3 run. No issues with access any time.

If anyone else knows of any good runs in the Sheff area (within an hour drive) do shout. I'll be up there in a week or two no doubt, looking for stuff to paddle.
never stop exploring...

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:47 am

A few weeks back, I stuck up some new(ish) guides from Dave Fairweather of the Etherow and Heyden Brook, which aren't a million miles from that area.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

GoldTopo

Post by GoldTopo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:05 am

Access problems in the Peak District?
Wasn't the Peak District our first national park, created by public demand (mass trespass) to ALLOW access to the area?
I don't understand how the national parks authority, dur to their constitution, can allow there to be access problems within its boundaries.

jadedkayaker

Post by jadedkayaker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:59 pm

cockroach wrote:I don't understand how the national parks authority, dur to their constitution, can allow there to be access problems within its boundaries.
One way is by quoting (mis)information from the BCU ("most upland rivers are privately owned") and from the EA ("it is widely believed that rivers are privately owned"). They then apply this wisdom in their policy making, which is riddled with drivel about paddlers "trespassing" on rivers. All of which is, of course, utter rubbish since we all know that no-one owns the rivers.

At least that it how it appears to work down here - trust me, I've asked them.

edhunter

Post by edhunter » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:56 pm

The line that Matlock Canoe Club have there is i beleive still the official line, however its paddlers dont pay any attention to it if anybody is confronted "we aren't with Matlock". As for rivers I've not got much experiance paddleing any of them however if you want anothe paddleing buddy to run say the Wye out of buxton (which is meant to be a good run) gimmie a shout im river deprived. on the derwent which is mour of a flat water cruise ther are access hassles but load of people from lots of clubs paddle it. I've paddled it once and had no issues but i know fishermen have shouted at a few of my friends for being there before.

saturday seth

Post by saturday seth » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:03 pm

can someone please direct me to the guide for wye out of buxton, thanks very much.

btw, there has been no serious rain in buxton all week, doubtfull much will be running.

peace

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:08 pm

saturday seth wrote:can someone please direct me to the guide for wye out of buxton, thanks very much.
Ta-dah! http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/rive ... itton-mill
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

hhzoombird

Post by hhzoombird » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:39 pm

Walked that section of the Wye today, looks nice, hope to get the chance to paddle it soon.

Ponderous thought of the day: "No Canoeing" signs can be useful, because they give a good hint where the best places to get in/out are.

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:51 pm

hhzoombird wrote: Ponderous thought of the day: "No Canoeing" signs can be useful, because they give a good hint where the best places to get in/out are.
Probably the best idea I have heard in a long time, it's so simple, it's amazing :-)

edhunter

Post by edhunter » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:11 am

hhzoombird wrote:Walked that section of the Wye today, looks nice, hope to get the chance to paddle it soon.

Ponderous thought of the day: "No Canoeing" signs can be useful, because they give a good hint where the best places to get in/out are.
This made me smile

AndyK

Post by AndyK » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:34 pm

hhzoombird wrote:Walked that section of the Wye today, looks nice, hope to get the chance to paddle it soon.
I walked that section on saturday too. Weird.

I wouldnt get on the river in Buxton personally due to the industry in the river and many low bridges but further down it seems like a nice paddle. I saw the "no canoes" sign too. It made me chuckle.

Count me in if people feel like a local bash when this snow melts.

callwild

Post by callwild » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:38 pm

What about the Dove through Dovedale.
This looks easy but pleasant scenery

hudsonbear

Post by hudsonbear » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:08 am

Hi Guys

Sorry for posting in an old thread but was appropriate to my question...

What are the current best loctaions to paddle in the peaks???? We used lake district mostly but as now in sheffield for a while could use a couple of locations to go for a wonder ..

Any/all help appreciated

regards
Hudson

damppaddler

Post by damppaddler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:44 am

All rivers are too low at the moment - you will probably be waiting until next winter before they are high enough.

Pam Bell

Post by Pam Bell » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:12 pm

jadedkayaker wrote:
Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:59 pm
cockroach wrote:I don't understand how the national parks authority, dur to their constitution, can allow there to be access problems within its boundaries.
One way is by quoting (mis)information from the BCU ("most upland rivers are privately owned") and from the EA ("it is widely believed that rivers are privately owned"). They then apply this wisdom in their policy making, which is riddled with drivel about paddlers "trespassing" on rivers. All of which is, of course, utter rubbish since we all know that no-one owns the rivers.

Times are changing!
BC wrote: We believe that paddlers have a historic right to access the rivers and waterways of England and Wales.
We believe in all stakeholders sharing the space in a responsible and sustainable manner.
While this position is disputed by others, British Canoeing will campaign on behalf of the paddling community toward a long term solution.
https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/go-c ... s-to-water

damppaddler

Post by damppaddler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:56 pm

I think the words are changing, but I seriously doubt undisputed access to rivers particularly in the Peak District will improve in my lifetime.
The official word from the Peak Park is they would like to see better access, but they are doing nothing about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they also say to the fishing clubs that they want to block access to kayaks/canoes.

damppaddler

Post by damppaddler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:58 pm

The frustrating thing is, the fishing clubs know we can only paddle when in full spate, which always coincides with closed fishing season (and evening if it’s in season, they don’t fish in full spate) - so Peak District rivers seem ideal for a sharing arrangement where we will not clash at all.

Pam Bell

Post by Pam Bell » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:51 pm

damppaddler wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:56 pm
The official word from the Peak Park is they would like to see better access, but they are doing nothing about it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they also say to the fishing clubs that they want to block access to kayaks/canoes.
That's why we can never achieve a sustainable solution by negotiating with another party who claims the right of veto, regardless of whether there is a 'go-between' involved. Fortunately, ultimately it is not the prerogative of the anglers or the NP to decide on public access. For a sustainable solution, legislation is needed for open access subject to evidence-based restrictions. The Scottish Parliament did just that, the Welsh Senedd has acknowledged that legislation similar to the Scottish model would provide the solution in Wales, and there is no credible reason to stop the Westminster Parliament from doing the same for England.

damppaddler

Post by damppaddler » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:53 pm

“there is no credible reason to stop the Westminster Parliament from doing the same for England.” - except the fact that a lot of the MP’s are land owners that don’t want common people on their land!

Sean_soup

Post by Sean_soup » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:44 am

hudsonbear wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:08 am
.. as now in sheffield for a while could use a couple of locations to go for a wonder ..
The bit of the Derwent from Darley Bridge down to Matlock Bath seems much less contentious than it was, I think you're reasonably unlikely to have any hassles there. The gauge at Matlock Bath says 0.75m just now, the upper part of that trip is very easy going at that, it's a bit bony here and there but shouldn't be a scrape and that's a nice level to play on the Matlock club's site particularly around 'Killer Rock'. (When the level gets up above 1m the slalom course tends to get a bit washed out.)

Level is too low at the moment, but there's a surprisingly pleasant trip to be had down the Don from the bridge at Leppings Lane in Hillsborough all the way through to Meadowhall. (I've done it on my tod using the tram for the shuttle - you get some funny looks!)

There are 8(?) weirs along the way, all quite easy to run. You might see a few kingfishers close to the middle of town believe it or not. Needs 0.7-0.8m on the Lady''s Bridge gauge or there are a couple of sections where you may as well get out and walk. As an alternative, you can start the same trip at Malin Bridge where the Rivelin meets the Loxley and paddle the Loxley down to meet the Don. (That's also a scrape at anything below about 0.75m at Lady's Bridge.)