Norway Ferry situation...

Inland paddling
will clark

Norway Ferry situation...

Post by will clark »

Hi everyone.

I just looked through a few old posts on the subject and found nothing conclusive. Does anyone know if it's still possible to get a ferry to Norway?

I'm trying to plan a mission there at the moment and was hoping that a crew of us driving out from the uk would be the cheapest option, rather than everyone flying into Norway separately and having transport issues...

Anyway hope some is eating their smarties and has the answer...

Cheers.

Will.

Owen

Re: Norway Ferry situation...

Post by Owen »

will clark wrote: Does anyone know if it's still possible to get a ferry to Norway?

No. You might still be able to go via Harwich - Esbjerg (in Denmark). Drive up to Hanstholm and another ferry to Kristiansand on the Southern tip of Norway; I think these still run.

Debaser

Post by Debaser »

will clark wrote:rather than everyone flying into Norway separately and having transport issues...
What's the deal with hiring boats and a car over there?

It's just that RyanAir practically give away seats on some routes (Liverpool/Birmingham to Torp), although planning the dates of cheap flights out and back can mean odd lengths of stay in Norway.
"Summat funny and insightful here..."

Owen

Post by Owen »

I've just looked at their website
http://web01.colorline.no/apt/booking_c ... -Hirtshals

It would seem the ferry from Denmark now goes from Hirtshals to either Kristiansand or Larvik.

For the England - Denmark link see http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/ ... niaBridge/

It doesn't look like the Immingham ferry is running anymore.

ianletton

Post by ianletton »

Ive had a look at this too.

It is possible and for relatively cheap. It will take about 2 days there and back though.

My idea was, Drive to Harwich (South East England), Ferry to Esjberg (West Denmark) Drive to Copenhagen (East Denmark), Then ferry to Oslo.
Rough cost was 800ish for 3 people and one car both ways on 2 ferries.

I have all this writen down including links to multi maps and the ferry price pages. If you would like a copy, give me your email and i'll forward it to you.

We are still thinking about going to Norway this summer. If you are interested in hooking up to share shuttles.....

Ian
IanLetton

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

From Denmark, I would take the ferry direct to Norway or the short ferry to Sweden and drive up. Its 8 hours from Gothenburg, and 6 hours from Larvik to Sjoa.

banzer

Post by banzer »

I don't think the Ryanair option is a bad one, it saves a helluva lot of time particularly with the ferry issues. Hagesund is pretty close to Voss, we flew into there and out of Torp which was nice. However you pay a bit more to drop your hire car at a different place.

Hire car is of course your main expense plus not being able to take huge supplies with you. I would say that, for shorter trips up to 2 weeks, and with 3 or 4 in the car (and some good soft racks), it's a wise move. Sporting equipment surplus isn't too much (and you can fit quite a few bags of pasta in a large Nomad).

Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

meatballs

Post by meatballs »

Is there much difference between norwegian pasta costs and british pasta?
Ben

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

meatballs wrote:Is there much difference between norwegian pasta costs and british pasta?
Not much

banzer

Post by banzer »

Glad we've sorted that one out.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam »

Taking a boat on a Ryanair flight is seriously easy- you just select 'canoe' or 'kayak' in the sporting equipment bit, pay your money and bob's your uncle. Michael O'Leary may be a single-minded money-grabbing b*****d, but he knows how to make life simple!
Zoe Newsam
Sea Kayak Guide & Mountain Leader

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

This is most recent discussion on Norway options:

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 6&p=355466

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

benlove

Post by benlove »

will clark wrote:Does anyone know if it's still possible to get a ferry to Norway?
Hi Will,

Yep, you can do it with DFDS Torline http://www.dfdstorline.com, I used them last summer.

Alternatively take the ferry to Gothenburg in Sweden and drive up to Dala-Floda (where Anton comes from) for the DaFlo festival (Inka, Malin & co organise it) then cross into Norway via Trysil and head south to Sjoa.

I'll probably be driving over although nothing for definite yet - I need to talk to you about some other stuff anyway so drop us a line!

Cheers,
Ben

will clark

Post by will clark »

Cheers for the replies everyone.

Looks like a few options there.

Ben - I'm in Zanzibar at the moment and will be back to my office in the mountains in a couple of days!! So I'll send you an email once I'm back.

Cheers.

Will.

Chrace

Post by Chrace »

Owen wrote:For the England - Denmark link see http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/ ... niaBridge/
Or not. Just checked for a completely different reason, but £500+ return? Blimey.

The difference is 600 miles to go around the channel and back up through Belgium/Germany to Denmark. In my car that's a tankful of fuel, a channel crossing and 10 hours of driving (£140 fuel and £70 ferry return or so). So if you are looking at doing it cheap that's the way.

Or if you can get the ferry without a cabin it seems to be cheap, only £160 for the transport of the car. Didn't seem to be possible to avoid the £350 cabin though.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”