Inland paddling
Robson

Dee-Humidifiers

Post by Robson »

Who has got one?

Where from?

How much?

What type?

I want one but they seem rather expensive. Advice please and thanks in advance.

NB: This topic has nothing to do with the river Dee, I just thought it was an interesting play on words
Can't think of anything to say in less than 50 cha

capsized8

Re: Dee-Humidifiers

Post by capsized8 »

I use one, really good providing the space you have it in is not too big and is kept with windows and doors shut and no open vents.

Got mine a couple of years ago from B&Q and is used for drying both family washing and paddling kit. It is running most nights.

They have a sale on at the moment but it is ending very soon, they also seem to have a choice of models now.

Well worth it

Never seen an orange one before!
peace and good padlin.

Londonpaddler

Post by Londonpaddler »

Mine's the Homebase own brand. Sucks out 10l of water. Had it several years, and it's got rid of the condensation problem in my flat (I have to hang clothes on radiators cos there's no washing line).
Highly recommended.

frostie

Post by frostie »

I got one from B@Q aswell, think it was about 30 quid. They're a bit hefty on the electric though. The one I have you can attach a pipe to the back of it and run it outside/to a sink so you don't have to empty the collector.

moose

Post by moose »

I have one that is only a few weeks old. No longer needed as I have left the damp hole that was my house. The model I have is from b&Q and sucks out a massive 26 ltrs of water a day. Perfect for drying kit and also has a built in 1250 wat heater. It runs really quiet and is eay to use

Yours for £100

Was 156 2 weeks ago.

Robson

Post by Robson »

Would love too... Cant really afford it at the Moment.

Maybe next month though.

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks »

We have one to sort the condensation in the shop out. £85 quid from screwfix about a month ago. It is worth every penny!

AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Got ours for £45 from Woolworths, though that probably doesnt help these days. One of the best buys we made for the house though.

Robson

Post by Robson »

Cheers PK Will have a look-see.

Twix

Post by Twix »

Got mine about 10 years ago, cheap from currys or somewhere similar because it had a dent in the side. Who cares? Bought it becuase at the time my hot water tank had leaked. Still going strong 10 years on dries my paddling kit in no time. Its an Ebac. Don't think it uses any more electricity than a fridge, as that's pretty much how it works and it will save money on heating if the house is not damp. If you are using it to dry kit it is best to keep the door shut in that room.

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks »

Robson wrote:Cheers PK Will have a look-see.
Don't leave them running in the cold though, they will freeze up. Ours does over the weekend in the shop.

They work most efficiently at 32c. Make sure the room is above about 8-10c. Use in conjunction with one of those oil radiators, in a shed, for a drying room

EdC

Post by EdC »

Has anyone used a solar de-humidifier or any experience of them (e.g. as supplied by http://www.solarventi.co.uk)? Clearly a green solution, but does it work sufficiently to dry club kit stored in a steel shipping container?

Ed

mfflower

Post by mfflower »

Looks like it works well in the winter, but I'm not sure about the spring, summer, or autumn - the problem being that when the (relative) humidity gets too high in the big wide world it can't be lowered by raising the temperature of the air, so it won't pick up any more water for you.

Strange question - but if it's only a shipping container whats to stop you drilling a few large holes in the side, covering with grills (to stop vermin getting in) and fitting a few fans / letting the wind blow through?

stellaaa

Post by stellaaa »

I got one from aldi last week for £30 seems to be working quite well in keeping my room dryer than it was before

EdC

Post by EdC »

We thought about lots of holes/screened vents and our neighbouring club have adopted that approach but with limited success, so I'm reluctant to start making too many holes if it's not going to work.
Fans would obviously help (solarventi is a fan as well), but power is an issue hence the solar panel concept. Have also thought about those extractors you see on commercial vans as the passing wind would help spin them, but haven't found a supplier nor am I totally convinced of sufficient wind to work them.

Ed

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”