Portugal - New Year 08/09

Inland paddling
Mark R

Portugal - New Year 08/09

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Just got back from Portugal - interesting paddling destination. We paddled all week but levels were generally low. There was regular rain, but never quite enough to properly kick the rivers into gear.

Some visitors have raved about the paddling and it's been called some interesting things, namely 'the California of Europe' and 'the Appalachians of Europe'. As most of the group had paddled extensively in these regions, we were certainly intrigued to see what we'd find. Frankly, it's neither of these things in any sense, and these descriptions aren't very helpful at all. If you're looking for a realistic comparison, it's the UK of Europe(!). Rainfed boulder-garden/bedrock rivers with good bits and bad bits and the odd crappy portage, okay quality if levels are low and of course really great quality if the rain kicks in. Various trip reports have also talked of having great paddling even weeks after rain; we weren't convinced about this, either; some trips are still possible but you absolutely need heavy rain - then and there - to get the best out of the paddling. Where Portuguese paddling differs from the UK is that the trips are usually pretty committing, in deep valleys or gorges, and they're often surprisingly hard to locate or accessed by sketchy roads; in practice these logistics mean even a motivated and organised group will occasionally find themselves rather short of daylight for these serious trips ...

The thing we do agree with previous reports on is the country itself; wonderful. The scenery and landscape is regularly utterly gobsmacking. Craggy granite mountains, sleepy rural villages, crumbling villas, steep terraces, old ladies in black prodding livestock, catholic kitsch statues and churches. I could barely believe we were in western Europe sometimes. In upland areas up to 75% of the population is over 60 and an ancient and visually attractive - but undoubtedly tough - way of life was disappearing literally as we watched. Local paddlers were amazingly welcoming and friendly, and indeed we received nothing but friendliness and welcomes from all folk we met; try getting that in certain upland areas of the UK. Food and drink was rather good also (steak and Vinho Verde!) and we're ashamed to admit that most of the week went by before we realised that we were each actually ordering meals for two every night. I really strongly recommend northern Portugal as a trip in its own right, regardless of paddling - go MTB, walk, drink wine. My wife and I will be returning, and not necessarily with kayaks. Flights are cheap and the country is fairly cheap for UK folk, although much less so now that the pound is worthless.

Okay, the rivers ... a very mixed bag indeed!

Saturday - Rio Paiva. Heather and I were there a day earlier than everyone else. After a night in some hotel somewhere, we turned up at the Rio Paiva (on the advice of a luggage handler at the airport who was a paddler!). We checked out the river but weren't going to paddle as we had no shuttle. Amazingly a local paddler then located our unmarked van and invited us to join their group for a paddle - they'd been searching for us! I did the Paiva Garganta (Gorge) with them, a long Grade 4(5) trip in splendid surroundings - this is basically their fairly reliable fallback low water trip, an equivalent of the Orchy or Upper Dart. We slept in bunks at their clubhouse and the other four joined us late that night.

Sunday - Paiva gorge again - it was a bit higher after rain, all six of us enjoyed a run on it. Claire aced the trickiest rapid - but then headbutted a rock and gave herself a black eye, oops. I somehow broke my thumb on a rock somewhere, the first of a remarkable series of self-inflicted injuries I gave myself last week. We stayed at the clubhouse again, and dined with the Portuguese paddlers - our thanks to them.

Monday - Rio Tamega. Oh dear. This major river was supposed to be a rollicking Grade 4(5) trip. It was actually a flatwater paddle through a craggy gorge, with two one-off Grade 4 rapids, both notable for nasty sieves. Even with loads of water chucked down it, it would be primarily flat. Odd. We headed up into the mountains and rented a flat for a couple of nights on the Spanish border.

Tuesday - Rio Castro Laboreiro. This is one of the locals' favourites. The scenery in this upland valley is wonderful, and we were excited to catch section 1 at a little above the optimum level. We all paddled boney flatwater a few kilometres down to the gorge. This was rather deep and impressive, and several of the group correctly took one look and walked out. Two of us continued and enjoyed about 200 metres of Grade 5 slides and falls. Then a huge portage followed (I've left a sling and krab attached to a chockstone if anyone wants it) across slippy wet rock, and we finally rejoined the river. Only to find that all that was left was a few kilometres of low water bouldery choss that would need much more water to be worthwhile, at which point the gorge would be a no-go. We finished the trip exhausted and confused. Sorry, I know this is heresy but we don't see the point of this section. The guidebook calls it a 'fun waterpark' (or similar) but it involves massively much more effort than, say, Allt a'Chaorainn, for possibly less reward. Section 2 was also running for most of the week (with the famous triple waterfall), but as this was supposed to be much more arduous, we gave it a miss. Tim Burne (Poke) was in the country and was much braver/fitter than us, he paddled it yesterday and has a story or two to tell ... !

Wednesday - Rio Mouro. Good good good. We checked out the Rio Vez after rain, there was enough for the gnarly top sections but not quite enough for the two lower sections. We liked the look of it as it was it was a nice continuous boulder garden. We moved on and found a good level on the nearby Rio Mouro (continuous steepish Grade 4) and this was perhaps the best paddle of our week. A cross between the Erme and Tavy, it had enough horizon lines and went on long enough to challenge most. Claire somehow blacked her other eye and ended the trip looking like Rocky Balboa. We stayed at nearby Melgaco and checked out the nightlife for New Years' Eve.

Thursday - Rio Arnoia. An ordeal! Given that we'd spent most of the week on the border, it seemed rude not to knock off one river in Galicia (Spain). We went to the Arnoia, which proved to have an okay flow. Three of us ventured into a deep remote valley for a ten mile trip. The scenery was fantastic, I was entranced by this wild valley which was reminiscent of a hugely scaled up Dart loop valley! The river seemed rather good indeed, as we found long sections of Grade 4 among big boulders and bedrock constrictions. Clearly we'd lucked out, what could go wrong? At the halfway point, everything did. We came across a massive dam, built in the 12 years since my Galician guidebook was published. This was a hefty portage (down the dam face!), only to find that most of the water had been extracted. We bashed down and portaged the next mile until the water was returned, at which point there was a second dam ... and the whole farce was repeated again. A beautiful valley and classic paddling river has been destroyed. We met some Czechs at the takeout who said they'd found dams all over Galician rivers. I also managed to stab myself in the ribs with a sharpened tree trunk on one of the boney bits, leaving me out of breath and in pain ever since.

Friday - Rio Minho. This major river forms the border with Spain and is described as 'playland'. Over ten miles, we discovered about 10 Grade 2 or 3 rapids and masses of stagnant flat water. Not to our taste.

Saturday - Rio Vez. Heavy rain brought us back to the Vez. There wasn't quite enough rain however, and we bashed down section 3 at a fairly crappy level. No doubt about it, this would be a lovely continuous Grade 4 run in fantastic scenery (my favourite valley) if it rained hard enough. We then did tourism in Porto (nice waterfront, UNESCO-protected) before flying home.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Re: Portugal - New Year 08/09

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:07 pm

Random selection of uneditted pics to give the general flavour ... not great I'm afraid as I had a few camera problems, there was rarely sunshine and most pertinently, I'm incompetent.

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Lowri Davies

Post by Lowri Davies » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Mark, good to hear you had a (generally) good trip and will be returning to Portugal. I don't think our trip there last year was all that dissimilar to yours and from the photos we had similar water levels. We expressed how tricky the navigation there could be and I think our summaries of the rivers we did were very much "mixed bag" too.

One thing we definitely don't disagree about is that Portugal is a fantastic country - the scenery and culture are both stunning. Even with the pound diminishing value, the value for money in the North is fantastic. I'd go back for sure, in fact I did go back this summer.
Monday - Rio Tamega. Oh dear. This major river was supposed to be a rollicking Grade 4(5) trip. It was actually a flatwater paddle through a craggy gorge, with two one-off Grade 4 rapids, both notable for nasty sieves. Even with loads of water chucked down it, it would be primarily flat. Odd. We headed up into the mountains and rented a flat for a couple of nights on the Spanish border.
Yeh - sounds like we did a different section of the Tamega, but also thought it was a bit crap. In fact, to quote myself, "The Tamega promised 7km of grade III but was more like 2km of grade II then flat."
Tuesday - Rio Castro Laboreiro. This is one of the locals' favourites. The scenery in this upland valley is wonderful, and we were excited to catch section 1 at a little above the optimum level. We all paddled boney flatwater a few kilometres down to the gorge. This was rather deep and impressive, and several of the group correctly took one look and walked out. Two of us continued and enjoyed about 200 metres of Grade 5 slides and falls. Then a huge portage followed (I've left a sling and krab attached to a chockstone if anyone wants it) across slippy wet rock, and we finally rejoined the river. Only to find that all that was left was a few kilometres of low water bouldery choss that would need much more water to be worthwhile, at which point the gorge would be a no-go. We finished the trip exhausted and confused. Sorry, I know this is heresy but we don't see the point of this section. The guidebook calls it a 'fun waterpark' (or similar) but it involves massively much more effort than, say, Allt a'Chaorainn, for possibly less reward. Section 2 was also running for most of the week (with the famous triple waterfall), but as this was supposed to be much more arduous, we gave it a miss. Tim Burne (Poke) was in the country and was much braver/fitter than us, he paddled it yesterday and has a story or two to tell ... !
I really enjoyed section 1. Looks like a similar level (you had maybe 2cm more on the first slides pictured). Sure the portage of the big drop is a hassle, but you can just jump off into the pool so not too much effort. We ditched the paddle-out and opted to hike out to the road. A bit of a mission compared to most UK rivers but up until the big drop we'd only portaged a sort section and had enjoyed lots of fun slides and one 12ft waterfall. Did you have to portage more?
Friday - Rio Minho. This major river forms the border with Spain and is described as 'playland'. Over ten miles, we discovered about 10 Grade 2 or 3 rapids and masses of stagnant flat water. Not to our taste.
Agreed. We only did it as something to do near Malgaco on New Years Eve before the evening festivities began. It was sociable enough but not why anyone would go to Portugal.

The only other thing that we did which I'd have recommended to you guys is the Cavado, although finding it was a total mission and the walk-in we ended up doing was a bit silly. There was fire road access if you could find it! It had far more on it than the Castro (section 1) and the paddle out wasn't as much of a boulder choked mess. Only one portage I can remember and that could have gone with a little more water.

Very rain dependant, but lots of granite fun tucked away if you can find it. Feliz Ano Novo.

p.s. some nice photos, cheers for sharing...

p.p.s. looking forward to hearing Tim's tales from section 2 of the Castro.

parksey

Post by parksey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:03 pm

Sound like you had a reasonable time most or Europe seems dry at the moment.

Nobody in Portugal drinks Super Bock! Try the Crystal or Sagres in the local bars you should only pay about €0.60 a bottle, still making it a cheap destination along with about €7.50 for the catch of the day.
What could possibly go wrong?

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Lowri Davies wrote:I really enjoyed section 1. Looks like a similar level (you had maybe 2cm more on the first slides pictured). Sure the portage of the big drop is a hassle, but you can just jump off into the pool so not too much effort. We ditched the paddle-out and opted to hike out to the road. A bit of a mission compared to most UK rivers but up until the big drop we'd only portaged a sort section and had enjoyed lots of fun slides and one 12ft waterfall. Did you have to portage more?
That first slide was good - at this level the final hole was fairly sticky and I had a 'moment' there. Apart from this, there was only the nice slide around the corner, backbreaker (which incidentally hurt a German guy last week) and the short gorge below backbreaker. We walked backbreaker through a miscommunication (I thought Chris signalled it was the portage) and given a replay would paddle it without hesitation given how lousy the portage was! The first drop into the gorge below (directly above the narrow slot) looked pretty sticky and foamy at this level, so we did a dodgy seal launch halfway into the rapid. Tim says he found some way to portage the whole rapid, but he must have stickier river-shoes than me! So that removed 30 metres of WW from our trip. All that was left was the portage and jump around the big slide (good fun) and then slippy/crappy boat/person lowering around the next big drop. I recall one more grade 4 fall below the portages and then it was choss all the way.

Depends what you want, I guess. There is certainly a big kick to be had out of slides and falls, and they always make for a good photo to show grandma. We're old and jaded I suppose, and we couldn't quite see the worth of a day spent clinging to wet cliffs and paddling c6km of low water choss, just for the photo.

As I said, amazing valley in any case.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:35 pm

parksey wrote:Nobody in Portugal drinks Super Bock!
Well, we helped them remove the surplus amounts that they have left over.

Chris coined the henceforth immortal phrase, "Super-Bock-O-Clock".
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

ol

Post by ol » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:12 pm

Sounds pretty interesting despite the high casualty rate.
Any pics of CCL's shiners?
Get well soon, look forward to some more accounts.

kendomat

Post by kendomat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:13 pm

I am not surprised they dont drink it [superbock], its a man killer..

Did you not feel totally wrecked.. Its stella on crack.. haha
Matty M:Warrior of the Outer Sanctum.

www.salfordpolo.co.uk // www.mmucanoe.co.uk // www.falconshockey.co.uk

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:31 pm

ol wrote:Any pics of CCL's shiners?
I'm not sure I dare ... I'll see if she posts permission ...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:16 pm

Lowri Davies wrote:
I really enjoyed section 1. Looks like a similar level (you had maybe 2cm more on the first slides pictured). Sure the portage of the big drop is a hassle, but you can just jump off into the pool so not too much effort. We ditched the paddle-out and opted to hike out to the road. A bit of a mission compared to most UK rivers but up until the big drop we'd only portaged a sort section and had enjoyed lots of fun slides and one 12ft waterfall. Did you have to portage more?
Lowri, I think your notes said that levels were way below the gauge? The water was at 2.05m. How this relates to the recommended 20cm in the guidebook I'm not sure. I assume it was 20.5, which dropped to 19.9 by the end of the run. The first slides were pretty much continuous and I took one look and legged it (up hill, down hill and then back up stream - first time I've ever finished a river at the beginning!).

Portugese scenery and the people were fantastic - it really made the trip for me. If you can arrange water the paddling would be as good as home, and at a toasty 12 degC it would be blissful. Shame that rain fed is not ideal when you need to book flights in advance. The local paddlers couldn't have been more helpful and were genuinely excited and pleased to have others paddling in Portugal.

The selection of minor injuries was quite spectacular, but Claire's double black eye was really quite a remarkable feat. Well done that girl!

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Did anyone...

-land on a testicle?

-elope to Spain?

-join a local family for dinner?

-destroy a boat hours into the first river?

These are all part of the rich tapestry of Portugnar.

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:20 pm

Mark R wrote: Apart from this, there was only the nice slide around the corner, backbreaker (which incidentally hurt a German guy last week)
And dislocated a Czech shoulder the same day

Lowri Davies

Post by Lowri Davies » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:50 pm

tizereyes wrote:
Lowri Davies wrote:
Lowri, I think your notes said that levels were way below the gauge? The water was at 2.05m. How this relates to the recommended 20cm in the guidebook I'm not sure. I assume it was 20.5, which dropped to 19.9 by the end of the run. The first slides were pretty much continuous and I took one look and legged it (up hill, down hill and then back up stream - first time I've ever finished a river at the beginning!).
I vaguely remember there being a gauge but don't remember what it was on, only that it related nothing to the guidebook's. Having looked at the photos again side-by-side, you did have more water this year:

2007:

2008:

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Check out the second pic - the water pouring river right on the top drop - all disappearing down a big pothole! Whilst inspecting I managed to drop my blades down there, true numpty-style.

Incidentally that rapid (and the gorge it flowed into) seemed to be in the total sticks, but I noticed that there was actually a huge overgrown and disused watermill on river left at the bottom. Much of the Portuguese valleys were like that - seemingly wild, but actually full of evidence of occupation and farming until relatively recent times.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:15 am

Mark R wrote:Rio Arnoia ... We came across a massive dam ... A beautiful valley and classic paddling river has been destroyed.
I suppose I should have Googled it beforehand ...

http://www.rios-galegos.com/darnoia.htm

This first dam filled the gorge and portaging it may well be impossible in high water. We balanced our boats along the top of a very narrow unfenced concrete wall and then followed a peculiar step ladder down the dam face, with water flowing below it.

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Shifty

Post by Shifty » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:41 am

'Super Bock' just reminds me of a family holiday with many hangovers due that damn beer; It has much the same properties as Bitburger in that respect. Marvelous stuff.

Chris W

Post by Chris W » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Good trip. 7 rivers in a week in a beautiful and friendly place, can't be bad. With variable water levels, the rivers were only getting Cs, Ds and E's on the Wheeler scale but then we are 'old and jaded'. Maybe we're just getting fussy- with plenty of water in them the Plym, Lyn and Upper Dart do set a fairly high benchmark if you like your 'read and run'). Downbeat texts from friends about dry rivers and colds and flu reminded us of what we were missing back home.

In addition to the Czech chap dislocating his shoulder, one of Poke's paddling buddies landed badly on 'backbreaker' on Castro 1, resulting in a visit to the local hospital for X rays and a week of shuttle bunnying. Supposedly an Irish team once ran it blind en masse by mistake (?). I'd suggest having a good look first!

The Cavado looks fun- I think tales from metcheck distracted us- we were looking forward to charging down a bank full Vez!

It's well worth giving Portugal a go (in contrast with HEP blighted Galicia, over the border?) but come prepared for an exotic version of Dartmooor (drizzle, granite tors, autumnal colours...and vineyards).

Chris.
Chris Wheeler

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:33 pm

Sounds like a decent destination.

Some of them shots look very 'Welsh' Mark, paticularly this one. Reminds me of looking back up the Glaslyn Gorge on the take out bridge.

richard2

Post by richard2 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:32 pm

A group of five of us from Southampton were in Portugal for a week from 14th Dec. I think we had a tad more water, but not much! Didn't really rain at all while we were there, although there was snow! Only managed four rivers, The Vez (run 2), Mouro, Cavado and Castro. The first three were all probably a tad low, with the Castro maybe a tad high (It took 3 days, including 2 walk outs to get it done, but thats another story!). Will post some pics when I can, my laptop is having a bad day.
The section of the Vez we did was great, started off slowly but had a good middle gorge style section. The Cavado also had a good central section, with a variety of fun slides and drops, most fairly straightforward.
At one point we drove down to the Beca which promised 13km of grade IV, which turned out to be a large dry river bed! Bairly a trickle was going down it.
All in all though it was a great week, fantastic scenery on all the rivers we did. Would like to return with a promise of plenty of rain!
Richard

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind wrote:Some of them shots look very 'Welsh' Mark, paticularly this one. Reminds me of looking back up the Glaslyn Gorge on the take out bridge.

It's the Rio Vez in disappointingly low water. Nothing special about the photographed section other than that there was a sketchy old footbridge to clamber up (through the ubiquitous Portuguese brambles) and take piccies from.

It's a fair comparison, as I've said the rivers were very British in style.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:05 pm

richard2 wrote:At one point we drove down to the Beca which promised 13km of grade IV, which turned out to be a large dry river bed! Bairly a trickle was going down it.
I think this is dam release.

The snowfall you mention was continuing to fall in upland areas when we arrived and seemed to have traumatised local paddlers; they said it was highly unusual and they weren't keen on the extreme cold* at all.

*A truly Arctic 4 degrees C on the first day.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Nugz

Post by Nugz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Some photos from the Southampton guys' trip Richard mentioned here...

http://picasaweb.google.com/richardjohn ... ayaking02#

One highlight of the trip had to be the man that could 'talk' to his small herd of sheep at the get out of the Mouro. He tried talking to us but didn't give away his magic animal whispering words.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:26 pm

"No te preocupes, lo hago yo."
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:56 pm

'Es mi primera ves'.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:01 pm

oh no, you're not perusing the 'relationship' section of the phrase book again are you?

ol

Post by ol » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:55 pm

tizereyes wrote:oh no, you're not perusing the 'relationship' section of the phrase book again are you?
He he, Lonely Planet phrasebooks are the best...

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:59 pm

Mark R wrote:"No te preocupes, lo hago yo."
Indeed, from the 'relationships' section of the phrasebook; translates as, "Don't worry, I'll do it myself".

Any takers for the second phrase?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Nugz

Post by Nugz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:35 pm

Mark R wrote:'Es mi primera ves'.
It's my first time!

richard2

Post by richard2 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:52 pm

Nugz wrote:
Mark R wrote:'Es mi primera ves'.
It's my first time!
Thats not what you told me...

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:13 pm

The above piccies (and some more) Facebook-ised ...
Here.

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK