TomTom POI files for the Lake District

Inland paddling
stuj

TomTom POI files for the Lake District

Post by stuj » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Does anyone have the POI files available for the get ins and get outs for rivers in the Lake District? I've searched the forum and found you could at one time DL it from the HPPCC website but not anymore. I'd be really grateful for it if anyone has it

thanks
stu

mfflower

Re: TomTom POI files for the Lake District

Post by mfflower » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:40 pm

Death before portage has a link to some (but I'm not sure how you work them).
My GF has just purchased a NavMan - so the obvious question (assuming that I can borrow both her car and her NavMan) - will these will work on it? A try-it-and-find-out-whilst-she's-not-looking approach may be best?

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:07 pm

Any of the get-ins/outs marked on the Playak World Map apparently has sat-nav info. Fortunately, I got bored one afternoon and added most of Northern England to it.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:44 pm

How do you make a POI for TomTom? I've got a garmin and use Microsoft Excel to save the lat/long/name details. If everyone put details in this form (but in text) on here, would it be useful to everyone, or just Garmin users? For an example, here's the get in/out for a few places on the Tees:

-2.1792,54.6525,Tees-High Force
-2.1477,54.6479,Tees-Low Force
-1.9842,54.575,Tees-Cotherstone
-1.782,54.5415,Tees-Winston Bridge

So would it be useful to TomTom users? Should we start a new thread where everyone can add details in this form, and someone can patch them all together?

ChrisBainbridge

Post by ChrisBainbridge » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:20 am

Hi, Slim posted here that he has done them all.
http://ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/vi ... 0c#p267488

This takes you to the HPPCC web site and there is a drop down box at top left.

Chris
http:\\bainbridgesabbatical.blogspot.com
www.hand-surgery.co.uk
www.dupuytrens.co.uk

jsimo

Post by jsimo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:31 am

Whats wrong with a map and a guide book?

George Mcmillan

Post by George Mcmillan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:48 am

Having POIs for all rivers in Scotland would be a good idea as well.
I personally don't go to many rivers in Scotland simply because I don't know the get ins and get outs.
Having get ins and get outs on POIs for my Tom Tom would go a very long way to opening up my paddling horizons.
Anyone got anything like the POIs for Scottish Rivers?

g
Whats the worst that can happen?

Get Wet!

buck197

Post by buck197 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:11 am

As Mark has got each river on its own topic perhaps people could start putting the Latitude and Longitude of the get-outs and put-ins for their own regular river runs. Tom Tom will give you this info when you arrive at each place, this should prove helpful to visitors who rely on the eye in the sky to direct them around the country.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

jsimo

Post by jsimo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:23 am

Are you fit to be out paddling at all if you cant find a river without using your brain. Tell you what get some one to drive you there, paddle it for you and tell you how great it was. Then drive you home. Maps and guide books are more reliable dont break down and let you get a greater knowledge of the surrounding area on your way to the river.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:47 am

jsimo wrote:Are you fit to be out paddling at all if you cant find a river without using your brain. Tell you what get some one to drive you there, paddle it for you and tell you how great it was. Then drive you home. Maps and guide books are more reliable dont break down and let you get a greater knowledge of the surrounding area on your way to the river.
Hmm surely maps and guidebooks are a navigation aide to getting you to the starting line without wasting time and effort, of course I could throw these away and do the research myself. A satnav is another navigation aide especially for simpletons like me who can't paddle. Driving 2 to 3 hours to an unknown river and then spending an hour finding the start and finish compromises the time on the water in these shortened winter days.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

NPearce

Post by NPearce » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:08 pm

jsimo wrote:Are you fit to be out paddling at all if you cant find a river without using your brain. Tell you what get some one to drive you there, paddle it for you and tell you how great it was. Then drive you home. Maps and guide books are more reliable dont break down and let you get a greater knowledge of the surrounding area on your way to the river.
Hmmm, surely you could argue that about anything, why use a car at all when a horse and cart will do? All tools have their place, I carry a map as well as using a sat nav, I use guidebooks and reference that to a dot on the satnav. Embrace technology, its your friend! :)

Anyway... here are my POI collections, including Scotland.

http://www.paddlesup.co.uk/index.php?op ... &Itemid=26

You will need to register / log in before you download them, there are also excel files of all the data so you can make your own files for alternative gps systems. I am tweaking the site to hopefully allow simple addition of locations to the poi as well as plot them instantly on googlemaps.

Nathan

stuj

Post by stuj » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:15 pm

Jsimo....
Whats wrong with using modern freely available technology to make getting to a river quicker and easier? I am not suggesting you should move on from maps to GPS. I'm not even suggesting that GPS can or will ever replace maps....I still carry a map in the back of my car and often refer to it.
However, as I'm sure others will agree sometimes get-on's and take-outs are hard to find on a large scale road map. It's not really practical to have small scale detailed OS maps for everywhere I paddle.
Technology saves time and effort = more time for paddling and the pub afterwards. Why not embrace it? This is why we no longer navigate by the stars etc...we can now do it more accurately and much faster.

edit: Chris. I looked at the HPCC website but in the Tom Tom DL folder there are no files!

Thanks for all the replies I appriciate your help.
Stu

jsimo

Post by jsimo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:23 pm

I find it hard to believe there is a need for sat nav as you tend to own or have access to guides and never have an issue with finding access to rivers. I find exploring good and often rewarding if i don't know where i am. Thought part of paddling was to find the get in then sort it out from there. Apparently not.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:42 pm

jsimo wrote:I find it hard to believe there is a need for sat nav as you tend to own or have access to guides and never have an issue with finding access to rivers. I find exploring good and often rewarding if i don't know where i am. Thought part of paddling was to find the get in then sort it out from there. Apparently not.
Yeah, driving for 2.5hrs to then having to spend ages driving up and down little lanes, missing the turn offs you missed last time you did it a few years ago, looking for the correct little footpath off the side of a road, and finding all the wrong paths that others before you have wrongly found (and trampled to make them larger than the footpath you actually want), knowing that you've got a 2.5hr drive back later that day when you'll be even more tired, and looking forward to similar fun to find the get in/out (depending on which you tried to find first) also knowing that daylight is short at the moment, and you'd rather like to spend some time on the water playing and de-stressing from having to drive round for so long looking for the get in/out. Fun fun fun all the way. Give me a sat nav any time. And a map as an emergency back up.

moose

Post by moose » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:02 pm

jsimo wrote:I find it hard to believe there is a need for sat nav as you tend to own or have access to guides and never have an issue with finding access to rivers. I find exploring good and often rewarding if i don't know where i am. Thought part of paddling was to find the get in then sort it out from there. Apparently not.
Because it makes life easy. Instead of fighting it embrace it. Bet you still have a betamax video.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:58 pm

Just realised the Playak files are on a separate page located here. You can download the whole of Europe as one file which contains all the ones for the UK that have been stuck up there.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

jsimo

Post by jsimo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:24 pm

Nope have DVD, broadband, Mobile etc just sick of being stuck behind people dithering around the roads following sat nav its just technology overkill.

Rick Foster

Post by Rick Foster » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:36 pm

I pretty sure there have allways been people dithering about on roads, sat nav has very little to do with it.

moose

Post by moose » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:01 pm

I have spent most of my working life on motorways all across the uk and I have never been stuck behind anyone using a satnav. I have however been run off the road by a person trying to read a map whilst driving.the sat nav is a far safer and easyer for of navigation. It has nothing at all to do with technology overkill.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:39 pm

jsimo wrote:Nope have DVD, broadband, Mobile etc just sick of being stuck behind people dithering around the roads following sat nav its just technology overkill.
An almost unbelievable justification as he has obviously never used Satnav as opposed to a map. I'll concede that people who do not know an area whether using Satnav, maps, the stars or a long piece of string tend to dither as they do not necessarily know where they are going, simple as.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

slim

Post by slim » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:39 pm

stuj - you must register/sign in to be able to see the Tomtom files on www.hppcc.co.uk ;-)

Slim

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:58 pm

jsimo, based on this and certain other posts, I'd suggest that you seriously need to chill out and accept that some folk on this earth have a different outlook to you.

Myself, I quite like the road-atlas-lottery of finding a new river. That said, when we were completely lost and going around in circles in deepest darkest rural Portugal last week (including an interesting moment balanced on three wheels) I could see the appeal of a magic button to push and get me to the river before sundown.

Horses for courses, and all that.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”