Do we really need to wear kayaks?

Inland paddling
pierre

Do we really need to wear kayaks?

Post by pierre »

Hi there guys,

I have been kayaking for about 3 days now and I have NEVER hit my bottom on a rock. So about 6 hours ago I stopped wearing my kayak. I found it may have even improved my paddling as my spacial awareness seems better on the water.

I've been in uganda paddling some of the rivers round the nile, like the nile, and the upper nile, and the lower nile. and bumped into some UK boaters like Pete Smith, Anne and Daryl, who kicked up a fuss about my choice, one of them even refused to go paddling down the dead dutchman with me! He was a bit obnoxious, but it got me thinking... they tried to cure me with Zappa (the red kind)

Is this what the normal reaction would be in the UK?

I personally don't see the problem with it.

Thoughts?

naefearjustbeer

Post by naefearjustbeer »

My initial thought is to keep taking the medication ;-)

Paul L

Kayaks

Post by Paul L »

I think it may be time to have the wafflesprocket recalibrated old chap.

kayaking_matt

Post by kayaking_matt »

i certainly would never go kayaking with someone not wearing a kayak, its just to dangerous ;)

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

Research has shown that cyclists not wearing kayaks have less accidents and get more sex than those who do.

jaq

Post by jaq »

I love kayaking without a kayak, it's great fun!

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

What's a kayak?

rich gunton

Post by rich gunton »

I hear the locals use a tyre or rubber ring for some of the Nile rapids, Do that far cheeper than a kayak, and it will put you right in touch with the rapids.

Gavin Shedden

Post by Gavin Shedden »

I am working my way up the skills ladder one day I will be good enough to go naked down some grade 4s without a helmet or a kayak or paddles that stuff just is not natural
You can do it water boy

janet brown

Post by janet brown »

g man wrote:I am working my way up the skills ladder one day I will be good enough to go naked down some grade 4s without a helmet or a kayak or paddles that stuff just is not natural
What about snag hazards? Perhaps just one piece of ducktape, or wear a sock like the Red Hot Chili Peppers used to (or a sex change!).

Janet

Mission

Re: Do we really need to wear kayaks?

Post by Mission »

pierre wrote: I have been kayaking for about 3 days now and I have NEVER hit my bottom on a rock. So about 6 hours ago I stopped wearing my kayak. I found it may have even improved my paddling as my spacial awareness seems better on the water.
I agree, I think kayaks are a massive hazard when paddling. Why have a huge lump of plastic around you that is heavy and floats too much! In my opinion not only do you lose your spacial awareness but you also are too cumbersome to manoeuvre around rocks.

Paddling without kayaks is the way forward!

Gavin Shedden

Post by Gavin Shedden »

Do you Know how cold it is up here.Snag hazards will not be a problem

Lol Lol
You can do it water boy

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

I just cannot believe what I am reading here!

How dangerous is this frankly idiotic practice!!

I would not go paddling with you under any circumstances as it is utterly irresponsible and downright silly.

To be safe, I often paddle with not just ONE kayak, but TWO. (Once I have completed my Home Contact form, my medical insurance forms, my risk assesment, my will, and sent someone else down first to see it it hurts).

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

David Fairweather wrote:Research has shown that cyclists not wearing kayaks have less accidents and get more sex than those who do.
From what I gather, Cyclists not wearing kayaks, getting picked up by blokes in shirts and ties get more sex and can evade invaders to bunkhouses.

Alarming I'm sure you'll agree.

Gupster

Post by Gupster »

Because I spend most of the time upside-down when paddling, would I be better off with my helmet on my arse and my boat on my head? This way I'll be the right way up and safe won't I?

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

g man wrote:I am working my way up the skills ladder one day I will be good enough to go naked down some grade 4s without a helmet or a kayak or paddles that stuff just is not natural
I have actually paddled naked, without a kayak, helmet or even a paddle, I am only starting to do this though so I wasn't on a grade 4 river, I was in the sea, next to a nice warm beach.
I think others there were trying this out as well as they didn't have clothes, boats, helmets or paddles.

Is this new sport taking off?

Toby

Post by Toby »

Of course it is entirely up to you whether or not you wear your kayak or not. However, by not wearing your kayak, you prevent it from getting scratched, dented, spun, folded and mutilated, thus keeping it pristine. People can then see how much you have spent on your kayak, how you have spent hours outfitting your kayak and how nice and shiny it is. By not wearing your kayak, you will be able to fit into ever smaller playboats without discomfort, not have to spend time tying boats onto roof-racks. In fact you won't need a roof-rack at all. You will be able to sell your kayak on e-bay for more than your bought it for from the manufacturer, and invest in the latest virtual kayak, which will be at least twice as plush, twice as comfortable and twice as expensive as anyone else's kayak.

No more worrying about baggage allowance on international flights as well. Frankly the advantages of not wearing a kayak seem amazing.

One note of caution though, if you are to pursue the inner tube route, should people who only paddle mtb tubes be allowed to run rivers, or should they be forced to buy tractor tyre tubes for creeking? Which are better, Pirelli? Michelin? Dunlop? We could spend hours debating the merits of various sizes and manufacturers of tubes, instead of erm, spending hours debating the sizes and manufacturers of erm, kayaks.

Special prize to the first person who climbs inside a tyre* and does the Lynne Brianne spillway.

*Flowers and a card.
We don't wear sequins because we think we are great, it is just we think sequins are great

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

I know how you feel...we should thank Corran for his new invention ;o)

Are you by any chance a fighter pilot with an outrrrrrageous accent?
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Anne

Post by Anne »

Pierre, it sounds to me like you've gone in to kayak deNile. A dangerous place to be.

I saw a guy paddle the centre line of Bujagali Falls without wearing his kayak recently. He certainly hit his bottom on a rock and, as you know, this line is now called Prison Love. You see how dangerous these new fads can be in the wrong hands?

However, perhaps there is a time and a place for wearing kayaks...If I hadn't been wearing my kayak on one fateful day, the ramp at NRE might not have had to be renamed Brokeback Ramp...

frazerp

Post by frazerp »

Given that about five times as many people drown each year in the UK while driving than kayaking/canoeing (reference below), perhaps not wearing a car while canoeing should be seen as additional safety feature.http://www.rospa.com/leisuresafety/wate ... rt2001.pdf

Frazer

Myles

Post by Myles »

As demonstrated below I have stepped it up a level by not only going down whitewater without a kayak, but also only using half a paddle! As I am sure you can see the benefits are obvious.

Note the wearing of a helmet though as you never know when you might get hit by one of those pesky lumps of plastic.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango »

I tried a few years running where I wore a kayak every time I went kayaking and managed to remain wearing it throughout.
This became dull so I tried experimenting with starting rivers wearing my kayak and then at a suitable moment (usually in the middle of something rocky and steep) taking it off and continuing sans kayak.
A revelation!
Now (as I'm sure anyone who paddles regularly with me will happily attest) I have become quite the master of kayaking without wearing a kayak.
Look out for one of my many free demonstrations -- coming to a river near you soon.....
Giles

Poke

Post by Poke »

Randy Fandango wrote:I tried a few years running where I wore a kayak every time I went kayaking and managed to remain wearing it throughout.
This became dull so I tried experimenting with starting rivers wearing my kayak and then at a suitable moment (usually in the middle of something rocky and steep) taking it off and continuing sans kayak.
A revelation!
Now (as I'm sure anyone who paddles regularly with me will happily attest) I have become quite the master of kayaking without wearing a kayak.
Look out for one of my many free demonstrations -- coming to a river near you soon.....
Giles
I hear that if you had been wearing a kayak, you wouldn't have made that last gasp 'breakout' on the Upper Spean a number of years ago. Without a kayak it seems you managed it effortlessly :-)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

peteyippee

no kayak

Post by peteyippee »

I have a suspicion that this thread is a wind up , I don't know why . Why not discuss something sensible like pros and cons of paddling grade 4 without a helmet .
In case it is not a wind up , my avitar shows the results of the last time I went kayaking without a kayak

Stewart

Post by Stewart »

I have a suspicion that this thread is a wind up
I do not think so... this new branch of the sport featured in this week's Economist. http://www.economist.com/finance/displa ... d=12725088

Stewart

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

Stewart wrote:
I have a suspicion that this thread is a wind up
I do not think so... this new branch of the sport featured in this week's Economist. http://www.economist.com/finance/displa ... d=12725088

Stewart
That picture is ridiculous, you should neber paddle in shoes like that

adrian j pullin

Post by adrian j pullin »

Should solve the access problem, since all those "No canoeing" signs don't apply!
Cheers

Adrian J Pullin
-------------------------------------------------------
"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
Kayak lore: "He who capsizes must also roll".

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

adrian j pullin wrote:Should solve the access problem, since all those "No canoeing" signs don't apply!
Thats an interesting idea.
Could we arrange a mass non-paddle on a river that we have problems on??

chriscw

Post by chriscw »

David Fairweather wrote:Research has shown that cyclists not wearing kayaks have less accidents and get more sex than those who do.
I think its fewer accidents... OK sorry bee in bonnet I will try posting without it next time...
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

wezzzy

Post by wezzzy »

chriscw wrote:
I think its fewer accidents... OK sorry bee in bonnet I will try posting without it next time...
I suppose thats one reason for not having a helmet on (Ooops, wrong thread)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”