Best spraydeck?

Inland paddling
ross_t1989

Best spraydeck?

Post by ross_t1989 »

Which is the best spraydeck on the market today?
I've heard the 'top of range' Palm one is bomb-proof but badly made and tends to fall apart rather quickly. Heard good things about Nookie ones.
Cheers!

Robson

Post by Robson »

Seals Spraydecks seem to be the best at the minute.

See my thoughts on nookie here:
Robson wrote:List of Nookie Kit I have owned:

Pro V70 (BA/PFD) - buckles snapped when tightened.
Gravity Cag - Neck seal ripped off when I put it on.
TI Liner Socks - Finger loop ripped off IN SHOP when I tried them on.
TI Liner Socks - Finger loop ripped off with hem when I put them on.
Xtreme Dry Tousers - Seam Ripped right up the leg whilst wearing.
V-Shock (Spraydeck) - Waist tube parted company with deck Whilst cartwheeling (ruining my day's paddling (160miles travelled))

So Bad experience? Yeh I guess you could say that!
And I know of at least 2 other spraydecks from Nookie that have done the same thing and three other sets of drypants!
Can't think of anything to say in less than 50 cha

gazza14

decks

Post by gazza14 »

does any one know about the palm rand deck it supposed to be bomber but ive heard about them falling apart at the seams too, the guy in desperate measures said that they've improve them has anyone else heard about this?

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

I have found the desks to be good, bomber especially the rand decks. The Kevlar around the edge and the latex covered seams get a bit thread bare after a while, although this does not effect the decks performance, it does not look as wonderful as it did when new.

a boy named sue

Post by a boy named sue »

The seals decks are great but you pay for it. I've been using the Palm Rand all this year for creeking and freestyle, still holding up very well and dry. Would recommend it.

Rob @ Riverside.Oxford

Post by Rob @ Riverside.Oxford »

Personally speaking I use a Nookie V-Shock for creeking and freestyle and paddle a lot. It is super dry, has lasted ages, the band has never gone and it has never imploded all round the best deck on the market in my opinion.

Robson

Post by Robson »

Rob @ Riverside.Oxford wrote:Personally speaking I use a Nookie V-Shock for creeking and freestyle and paddle a lot. It is super dry, has lasted ages, the band has never gone and it has never imploded all round the best deck on the market in my opinion.
Is there a reason you have Nookie's website in your signature?
Can't think of anything to say in less than 50 cha

Adrian Shanahan

Post by Adrian Shanahan »

Rob @ Riverside.Oxford wrote:Personally speaking I use a Nookie V-Shock for creeking and freestyle and paddle a lot. It is super dry, has lasted ages, the band has never gone and it has never imploded all round the best deck on the market in my opinion.
Team Rider slightly biased opnion/view perhaps....? One would only find it polite to declare a professional interest before giving an "honest" opnion.

But hey then again I have never used Nookie gear so Rob could be on the money about Nookie being great. Personaly I am all about Seal's Pro - Rand a company I have no affilation to what so ever.

Adrian

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea »

I'm loving the SEALS Pro-rand, driest deck I've ever had.

I'm so impressed that I'm going to start stocking them, despite the price!!

Price issues are probably down to the fact that they're manufactured in the USA not the far east like so many other products, minimum wage has a cost implication for the consumer.

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King »

I have been using the same playboater deck for 2 years now and it is still good. Not the most full on deck available but very good value at about £60.

peteri

Post by peteri »

Seals Pro-Rand for me too, never thought it'd be worth the money but it is.

Insanely dry.

Cheaper - playboater or palm phat lip have both stood me well

Really cheap - the Yak cheapest neoprene, fitted every boat never leaked too much

Pete

Dwarf

Post by Dwarf »

I've had a Nookie V-Shock since April, and whilst it's a bit of a struggle to get it on to my Burn, I've had no reason to complain about the quailty so far - fingers crossed it stays that way.

Paul L

Best Deck

Post by Paul L »

Have tried a few different decks the best so far is a Pyranha Fish deck you can still get the old style from Kayaks North west for £30 bargain, they only have xl body size but this still fits .The new Pyrahna decks are good as well but a bit more expensive.Really dry decks on all the boats ive used them on.

Chris2110

Post by Chris2110 »

Nookie V-Shock is really good! Lets no water in due to "dry lip" and is really sticky

AGS

Post by AGS »

elephant decks are the beesnees

Performance Kayaks

Post by Performance Kayaks »

I have BOTH the Palm RT Rand and the Seals Pro Rand.

Palm one lasted for 18 months before it split on a seam. I've glued it back together and it's still going strong.

Seals has been 6 months so far and is easier to get on.

The Seals Shocker, at £60, and the Pro Rand, at £95 are our two best selling decks since we started stocking them 8 months ago.

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris »

My personal preference is the SnapDragon reinforced whitewater spraydeck.
Kevlar weave on the top, skin-friendly extra reinforcement on the rim, low-profile implosion bar, and a great tight fit on the boat and waist yet easy to get on and off when you need it to. I've had mine now for nearly 3 years and it's stayed on until I needed it off..

matreya

Post by matreya »

i have a nookie V shock and it is rubbish the first one i had, had to go back as it leaked like a seive and when you held it up to the light you could see cracks in the actual rubber, it was well looked after and only used on two 2 hour paddles on the sea the second one i am still struggling with, leaks all around the seams on the body tube and i have had to cover the seam in neoprene glue but it still leaks has got cracks in the rubber again, so gotta get a new one now even though it hardly looks used! not sure which maybe the seals or palm!
Mat

cripper

Post by cripper »

Hey,

Got a playboater shock deck, used and abused that for about 4years, including putting a 2.5inch gash all the way through it. Just sewed it up and but a squirt of waterproof glue in there.

However, now that patch is probably the most waterproof part of the deck, and the elastic at the back has snapped, so im using my brothers old playboater work deck, which he has had for a while, and its still going strong, but i think he will want it back when he returns from his travels.

Im looking into the Seals decks, have heard they are bomber, and will probs end up getting one as soon as my pay packet arrives for this month!

Will let you know all about them if i do end up getting one.

Query:
does anyone know if it is a good idea to go a size smaller than the suggested waistband and/or deck size, because ive heard it can make it more waterproof, but is more prone to tearing if scraped along rock. Anyone know anything about any of these things??
Hear no rain.
See no rain.
Pray for rain

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

personaly i paddle with a peak deck. it is a cag-deck but the deck has the skirt around the outside. it works briliantly for me. has for about 2 years admitadly witout the heavyest use. my friend has just brought a peak deck witht he outside skirt as well and he loves it. just my 2cents

Summit to Sea

Post by Summit to Sea »

Ed, the one with the skirt round the outside? That'll be the freeride, a very dry deck.

Will K

Spray Deck

Post by Will K »

There are some super nice decks on the market, Langer, Elephant, extrasport, playboater. Im using the Artisitc Pro Deck which is not really seen in the UK.

Rdscott

Re: Best spraydeck?

Post by Rdscott »

I'd go for a V-shock every time if i had the money.

Super dry found its super robust, use mine for coaching and work dragging kit over it constantly.

Only down side is they seem to be sure tight meaning a strugly to put on some times.

Adrian Shanahan

Rdscott wrote:, use mine for coaching and work dragging kit over it constantly..
This is one thing I never understood with some people, why not just learn to empty boats without dragging anything across your spray deck?

A

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott »

Adrian i Can i just find this way very quick and easy, with minumum stress for damaged joints, it also allows me to get the victum to do most of the work. Don't judge till you know ;-)

Dragging kit, kids adults on during games, kids standing on your deck or climbing over your boat. You can't honestly say you never have any of these senarios in a coaching session Can you?

Adrian Shanahan

Hey,

I cut my teeth for way too long in multi activity centers soing splash and dash type stuff ao I know where your coming from and would know more than enough. I can honestly say that with a small bit of practice and thinking of how you do things you would be able to reascue boats / people just as fast or faster without tearing your deck to shreads.

As for kids standing on your deck etc, Its very possibble to run your sessions and have your clients / students have just as much fun and enjoyment without trashing your kit.

Perhaps just open yourself to structuring / doing things a little differant? you never know you might actually like how things go....

A

Gareth H

Post by Gareth H »

Ok My advice would be to buy a deck that has been shaped correctly. Kevlar on the sides is a great idea. Most kevlar decks are shaped. The most shocking decks on the Market are those made out of a flat peice of neoprene as these are not shaped. Also dont be fooled by loads or fancy print on the decks this is just to make them appear more expensive.
I would suggest

Playboater Proteam Deck
Palm Kevlar Rand
Seals Pro Rand Kevlar

I use Seals decks as I believe they have the best combination of shape, materials and rand design.

Cheers

Gareth

Torsten

Post by Torsten »

I had a nookie V-shock, after the third time taped seams came apart and the threading started coming undone I decided it was time for a decent deck...
However, It was quite dry to start with but absolutely impossible to get one...even after 2/3 years of use. I also found that the wast tube keep falling down towards the end of its life but I pressume that was just as it became stretched and old.

I now have a Seals Pro Rand, amazing deck! Completely dry and ok to put on my playboat. I also use it on my creek boat and although this was a major struggle to start with after a couple months (possibly down to technieque as well) I can put it on relitvely easily until my fingers get too cold!
My only gripe with it is that the wide front of the cockpit on Bliss-Stick boats mean that it is fairly stretched across that point which makes it harder to put on than I expect it would on most boats!
Definitely much nicer than the V-Shock though!

clarky999

Post by clarky999 »

I'm on my second Playboater work deck, which I find brilliant. The first lasted four years of solid abuse coaching (Adrian, go on then, give us a tip, how do you empty a boat on a deep water rescue without dragging it over your deck?) before the kevlar wore out o one side. Was still useable and still very dry, but I was happy to buy another new one.

Adrian Shanahan

clarky999 wrote:Adrian, go on then, give us a tip, how do you empty a boat on a deep water rescue without dragging it over your deck?

You are taking the piss aren't you?

A

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”