austria

Inland paddling
boater rich

Post by boater rich »

Buy a copy of WW North Alps by Pete Bandtock...

Suggest you base yourselves for a time in the Landeck region, but spending some time up in Switzerland in the Engadine area is also good, depending on how confident you are at running 3/4(+) in playboats or how small the boats are.

If you are out there for a while consider heading south to Slovenia.

Rich

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

There is good playboating in Lienz, in Ost Tyrol, which is en route from the Tyrol to the Soca, all good paddling for playboaters, and nice playspots too.

Look through Playak, and kajak.at for specific info on spots and water level data.

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King »

Went to Austria in early june this year on our way to France. Stayed at the riffler campsite in landeck, right on the river bank and at the take out for the Sanna and the Landeck Gorge. 2 of the best play runs in the area. We had high levels and there were some great waves on offer. Would suggest running the Sanna 1st as it gives you a chance to warm up. The landeck gorge section of the Inn is where the big waves are at.

The Riffler campsite is opposite a supermarket and 3 minutes away from the town centre on foot. Alternatively there is the campsite at Prutz where most paddlers are to be found but this lacks the buzz of landeck and the take out situation which was sweet ;-) Have fun. Oh and there is a great pizza restaurant opposite the riffler campsite on the river left bank on the site of the old sport camp tirol site. xxx

If you want to push it and blast down a section of river try the Upper Oetz, beware of shrinkavision from the road!
Last edited by Sophie King on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Joe

Post by Little Joe »

Give Andy Turton (search google) a bell as he guided us out in Austria a few years back and was absolutely fantastic! Well worth the small extra cost as not only will you get excellent coaching along the way, but probably an extra river or two in per day as he knows the area so well...

Don't worry about not having big boats especially if your used to doing rivers in a playboat, below is a small list of some great sections of the Inn etc.

Pfunds - Class 2(3)
Imsterslucht Gorge - Class 3
Landeck Gorge - Class 3(4)
Tosens - Class 3/4
Scouls Gorge - Class 3/4
Sanna - Class 3/4

Playboating wise these could (and would) be run over and over again as there are numerous great playspots at differing levels...

Speak to Andy,

Joe

jonnyhiam

Post by jonnyhiam »

Austria is great! We stayed at Landeck, when the French closed the rivers. None of that nonsense there, we paddled pretty much every day. Imst gorge on the Inn was at a nice 450 cumecs (or there abouts) and there was no problem taking playboats. In fact I wish I did, the Germans who were looked like they were having a blast. Landeck and other rivers (Sanna, Rossana) are great, some very big waves on all of them. If you feel very comforable, or have a river runner, the Swiss gorges on the Inn were scary (for me) but my favourite bit of WW so far.

andy_kapt

Post by andy_kapt »

Austria is the european home of massive holes, you'd lose your village in some. I wouldn't advise anyone going that didn't have a lot of confidence and a perfect roll, swimming could be utterly disastrous, thankfully none of my group did, i wouldn't fancy any chase boating or having anyone on the back of my boat to tow out.....

For those that have these qualities, it's amazing.

Schuls gorge is a must if you're in Switzerland, it's awesome.
The Sanna in Austria is the definition of a high volume play run, this has changed a lot since publication of the guidebook, but easily inspected from the road.

The Rosanna and Trisanna have had their banks canalised since publication, so they're nothing like it describes in the guidebook either, and they're rather flat and long. Good for warm-ups only.

Andy Turton does litterally know everything, if you see him, buy him a drink :)

Little Joe

Post by Little Joe »

andy_kapt wrote:Austria is the european home of massive holes, you'd lose your village in some. I wouldn't advise anyone going that didn't have a lot of confidence and a perfect roll, swimming could be utterly disastrous, thankfully none of my group did, I wouldn't fancy any chase boating or having anyone on the back of my boat to tow out.....
What a ridiculous and misleading comment to make! Just because the majority of 'classic' runs are mid/high volume does not mean that they are not suited to beginners, as with appropriate guidance it has some superb easier level runs. As with every country, there will be sections (e.g. Finstermunster Gorge) that are unsuitable for those with less ability, however Pfunds, Imsterslucter certainly do not have 'distastrous' consequences!

canoeboy101

Post by canoeboy101 »

[quote="andy_kapt"]Austria is the european home of massive holes, you'd lose your village in some. I wouldn't advise anyone going that didn't have a lot of confidence and a perfect roll, swimming could be utterly disastrous, thankfully none of my group did, I wouldn't fancy any chase boating or having anyone on the back of my boat to tow out.....

Ha!! Absolute Bullshit!!!

Dave Fforge

Post by Dave Fforge »

canoeboy101 wrote:
andy_kapt wrote:Austria is the european home of massive holes, you'd lose your village in some. I wouldn't advise anyone going that didn't have a lot of confidence and a perfect roll, swimming could be utterly disastrous, thankfully none of my group did, I wouldn't fancy any chase boating or having anyone on the back of my boat to tow out.....

Ha!! Absolute Bullshit!!!
Agreed.
Austria is a great destination for paddlers of all abilities.
It has something to offer everyone.
I've done my share of chase boating (and had my boat chased) without any disastrous consequences whatsoever except bruised egos and the cost of a couple of ice cold beers at the take outs.

tomhollis

Post by tomhollis »

andy_kapt wrote:Austria is the european home of massive holes, you'd lose your village in some. I wouldn't advise anyone going that didn't have a lot of confidence and a perfect roll, swimming could be utterly disastrous.
This is the kind of complete nonsense which keeps beginner groups in France bashing themselves on rocks.

I can understand that you might be scared by the bigger volume rivers and there are plenty of pushy sections for those who want them, but to say Austria is not good for beginners is just rubbish.

On my very first Alps trip I took in France, Switzerland and Austria. Having lost plenty of helmet paint and knuckle on the likes of the Claree and Briancon Gorge I absolutely loved the Imst Gorge! It still amuses me today with its huge waves and almost no consequences.

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl »

I did my first ever river in Austria. Solo (with bank support - we only
had one boat out on that caving expedition). The idea that there are no
rivers suitable for those without a roll is ridiculous.

Andy

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King »

orlandinio:
oooh is this going to be a AUSTRIA vs FRANCE debate.

I vote for austria, friendlier locals, friendlier bars, epic water, reed (sp?) wave is cool, plenty for all levels , and its green

I had a 12km walk with no lifts, back in june, to get the car. I think the people in france are much friendlier ;-)

andy_kapt

Post by andy_kapt »

whooops, i've upset some people, sorry!

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

Sophie - i would have picked you up...

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

Sophie King wrote:orlandinio:
oooh is this going to be a AUSTRIA vs FRANCE debate.

I vote for austria, friendlier locals, friendlier bars, epic water, reed (sp?) wave is cool, plenty for all levels , and its green

I had a 12km walk with no lifts, back in june, to get the car. I think the people in france are much friendlier ;-)
I've concluded that all Austrians must be man lovers. France wins...

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

newkid

Post by newkid »

P,

Can you tell us more about the video and the people or did you just pull it off google? I presume this is the middle oetz?

Phil

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Erm...I can tell you that my old mate Ben made it and Dodgy dave is in it and it's well worth looking at his other videos.

Wellebrúke, Middle Oetz and many other Austrain classics that sadly I fudded my shoulder before I got to run them.

Sound lads though on some nice Alpine rivers.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”