Speccy four eyes

Inland paddling
magictom

Speccy four eyes

Post by magictom » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:22 pm

It seems that I'm destined to become a spectacle wearer... over the last week or so my eyes have given up, I went to the optician to be told that I am apparently very near sighted and I'll need glasses.

I'm sure there's plenty of folks out there with the same problem but since I've never paid any attention to such things can anyone enlighten me to boating related issues here;

glasses? contact lenses? goggles (!!!!).

Anyone got any experience of lasik (sp?)... I've heard good things but also heard rumours that it can be reversed at altitude.

Also, anyone got any thoughts on mountain biking and snowboarding with glasses or contacts ( don't want to get grit in my eyes or have the contacts freeze under a snowmaking machine).

Hopefully I'll be able to read any replies. Thanks.

tom

ianletton

Post by ianletton » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:48 pm

I have worn contacts for the past 2 years. I wear them everyday for everything i do. Work, studying, rugby, kayaking, mountain biking, skiing, climbing and everything else. Never had any problems, never had any fall out and although they say not to sleep in them, it doesnt matter that much, On numerous occaisions i have come home from pub, fallen asleep and woken up being able to see!!

I wear dailies so that if you do lose one then its not much of a problem but i have never lost one before.
Quite expensive in the long run but if you buy 30 day packs and only wear them when you need to and wear glasses the rest of the time, it works out to be not that bad.

Hope this helps

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:23 pm

I have been really rather short sighted for most of my life and have tried most things (apart from the surgery option, which is appealing) for kayaking.

Glasses with a good strap: Fine for flatwater stuff, will stay on when rolling etc. but take a beating on the river or from a big wave shile surfing and wave your glasses bye bye (I lost three pairs in one year once, all in the surf, it gets expensive).

Goggles: AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH! Stay away from these horrible things, fine for swimming in a pool, not for anything else!

Contacts: The way forward as far as I am concerned, I use daily disposables and keep a spare pair of lenses in my BA just in case I do loose one (I have lost 3 in quite a few years of wearing them, all in the surf, all when I could feel water being flushed right around my eyeball, nice!) they are relatively cheap (about 30p - 50p a lens), comfy when wearing them, the only downside is the jabbing fingers into your eye to put them in / take them out bit and even that is not too awful.

Denzil

thetangoman

Post by thetangoman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:37 pm

When I first started kayaking I wore my glasses, attached with a neoprene retainer. Even in a swimming pool this was problematic due to splashes and the glasses constantly steaming up.

For the last 6-7 years I have worn contact lenses for paddling. Most of the time I wear dailies, so it doesn't really matter if I lose one. As far as I can remember, I have only lost 3 or 4 lenses in that time (2 in the last 6 weeks - one on the Nile and one in Scotland).

However, my optician keeps reminding me that I should not wear my lenses for kayaking due to the increased risk of some infection. Wearing dailies for kayaking minimises this risk.

Andy

LJ

Post by LJ » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:47 pm

Another vote for contacts.
Haven't had any wash out yet, but after a roll can find they need a bit of blinking to get back into position. This doesn't help with the topside disorientation issue.

Bod

Post by Bod » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:01 pm

I can mountain bike in specs, although there are times when they move around too much on bumpy descents.

For Skiing/snowboarding I find I can wear regular Oakley goggles over the top as I have slimline specs which don't need massive OTG goggles.

For paddling I really can't see well enough on rivers I don't know, especially as it gets dark. At some point I will have to face facts and get contacts but the idea of them fills me with dread.

It won't help Tom but are Specsavers OK for contacts or should i go a bit more 'upmarket'?
John B.

Frank B

Post by Frank B » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Quite a long thread here about specs

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... =spectacle

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:09 pm

I wear contacts on the river, they seem to be far better than they used to be as I used to have all kinds of issues with them about 8 years ago, but have none now. At high altitude they do sometimes feel a bit dry after a long day, so maybe take some eye drops with you. They also work well for skiing, far better than wearing glasses under your goggles, which is just asking for everything to mist up.

Bod; I use the Specsavers ones at the moment and they seem to be fine.

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:19 pm

I wear monthly contact lenses 24/7. I have some dailies to swap in for boating but more often than not I forget. In six years of paddling I have never lost a lens or had an eye infection. The monthlies work out about the same cost as dailies.

HUNTER

Post by HUNTER » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:27 pm

I had Laser surgery about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. My eyes became less tolerant to the contact lenses I used.
You get used to not wearing glasses or contact lenses very very quickly.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Can you open your eyes underwater with contact lenses then?

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:54 pm

Can you open your eyes underwater with contact lenses then?
I think you would risk losing hard or gas permeable ones but with the soft monthly and daily ones I use, yes. I do tend to keep my eyes shut under water most of the time and only open them long enough to locate the surface.

ChrisBainbridge

Post by ChrisBainbridge » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:10 pm

I would have the surgery. there are two types Lasik and Lasek. If you have astigmatism you may need to have Lasek but if you have the Lasik you will never look back. You will have a half day of a gritty sensation in your eye and 2 weeks of putting drops in your eyes a few times a day. Then you will never think about your eyes again.

Alternatively you can spend hundreds of pounds a year for the rest of your life to have the pleasure of sticking a foreign body into your eye every day. You get to wake up in the morning unable to see until you have put your lenses in, you can even swim upto strange women in swimming pools until 2 feet away you recognise they are not your wife/partner/girlfriend. You run a significant risk of developing a serious infection which can stop you wearing contacts and would stop you having surgery.

This really is a case of a treatment that would not exist if the surgery had been invented first.

Chris
http:\\bainbridgesabbatical.blogspot.com
www.hand-surgery.co.uk
www.dupuytrens.co.uk

gtn33

Post by gtn33 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:21 pm

HUNTER wrote:I had Laser surgery about 10 years ago and haven't looked back. My eyes became less tolerant to the contact lenses I used.
You get used to not wearing glasses or contact lenses very very quickly.
You should have taken this up with the surgeon, you are supposed to be able to look back.

parksey

Post by parksey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:37 pm

Another vote here for laser eye surgery. I had it done about a year ago, but be careful and check out the reputation of the clinic and their infection rates first. £395 an eye is usually a load of bo***ks !!!

Don't spare any expense you only have 1 pair of eyes !!!!

Better than 20/20 and a lifetime treatment guarantee and a 0.2% infection rate but this cost me £3.5k not 600 quid lMAO.

Good Luck.
What could possibly go wrong?

stewarty905

Post by stewarty905 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:39 pm

My brothe wears one of those bungee type things for his specs and it seems to work pretty good,he aint lost any specs yet
I would suggest getting your eyes tested regularly as i just have and came home and discovered i had a river runner in the garage and all this time i thought i had been doing sea kayaking

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:43 pm

you can even swim upto strange women in swimming pools until 2 feet away you recognise they are not your wife/partner/girlfriend
You make that sound like a bad thing.

parksey

Post by parksey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:49 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
you can even swim upto strange women in swimming pools until 2 feet away you recognise they are not your wife/partner/girlfriend
You make that sound like a bad thing.

Depends what they look like !!!
What could possibly go wrong?

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:59 pm

I've warn specs for 23 years now. In about '91-'92 I tried soft contacts, but my eyes were too dry. Haven't tried any since. (Would dailies be OK for me?) I've occasionally thought about surgery, but apart from the cost, my specs prescription keeps changing every 4-5 years, so I think it would be a waste of time if my sight keeps changing.

I paddle with an old pair (with previous prescription, but it's better than using my good pair or nothing at all) with a strap round the back of my head. They mist up when it's cold for about ten minutes, then I just need to wipe any excess splashes off after getting splashed. But I'm not paddling anything particularly hard at the moment.

Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:07 pm

Spec and contact wearer, short sighted.
Finally have got fed up with contact lenses and went for a free laser consultation today. Even though they said £395 an eye, I am looking at £795 per eye for Lasik and £1250 if I want wavefront.
I have lost a few contacts in the surf and in big water after getting big slaps in the face by waves, but overall contacts have served me well. I am getting fed up with being splashed in the face and the contact lens slipping so my vision is worse than usual, this had led to very sketchy lines taken. Also becomes a pain travelling because I have to carry the fluids etc.

Snowboarding and mountain biking I have had no problems wearing contacts. A bit of grit (which is rare) I usually deal with that by sticking the contact in my mouth to clean it off. Glasses suck especially when it is cold, rains or they get mud on them. Think of them like being your car windscreen without the wipers or heater.

I will let you know how the lasik goes in a couple of weeks. I have two weeks solid of just wearing glasses now.

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Scuba Steve wrote:I have had no problems wearing contacts. A bit of grit (which is rare) I usually deal with that by sticking the contact in my mouth to clean it off.
An excellent way to get conjunctivitis.

Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:20 pm

Big Henry wrote:
Scuba Steve wrote:I have had no problems wearing contacts. A bit of grit (which is rare) I usually deal with that by sticking the contact in my mouth to clean it off.
An excellent way to get conjunctivitis.
Why? I have done this for many years and have never had pink eye. When you are stuck in the middle of no where what do you do to stop your eye being scratched and irritated? You can't wash them in water incase there are parasites in that. Saliva is your own body fluid.

Kev W

Post by Kev W » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Ive worn contacts for years and find them ok. My current contacts are "two weekly" but Id recommend daylies to minimise the risk of infection. Its worth noting that when I mention watersports to my optician she mearly has a coronary! so I dont tell her anymore! Infection being the potential problem but its never affected me.
Its worth noting that I open my eyes under water if I roll, I do it automatically, and Ive never lost a lens, but it is a possibility so I always carry a spare set.
Ive also used contact for scuba diving for years and removed my mask underwater to experience losing a lens so I knew what to expect if it happened for real...... my lenses never came out!
Ive only ever lost one lens in the last 10 years and that was swiming in the sea on holiday

peteyippee

specs

Post by peteyippee » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:56 am

Worn specs for short sight since youngster , many moons ago . Too cowardly now to have surgery , and never fancied contact lenses .
For several years have worn specs meant for use when playing squash .

Obviously tough if expected to take a squash ball .They have permanent adjustable elastic strap and bolted in , wrap around polycarbonate prescription lenses . Sort of goggle like , but without a rubber seal .Cost then about £70.00 , but probably £100 plus now .

After much mistreatment , including boat landing on my face and smacks with a paddle they are still scratch free , and offer great protection and therefore confidence .

The one serious problem is misting for which there are many supposed ideas on how to avoid , but none so far completely foolproof . Many work until you go upside down , or work for short while .

peteri

Post by peteri » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:38 am

I use daily disposables and have done for years.

Brilliant when paddling, I carry a couple in my BA pocket in case I lose one (only happened once in 2 years) and the moment I'm off the water I can throw them away.

Talked to my optician about it and she seemed to think this was the most sensible solution, I've never had a problem.

I can get away with keeping the lenses in after paddling but for 50p a pair or whatever they cost from Costco doesn't seem worth the risk of infection. I also find that if I take them out, give my eyes an hours rest and put clean ones in they're much more comfortable.

Oh, and the one time I did lose one - I was the right way up and surfing on the muncher, just one of those 'pop out' lense moments.

Cheers

Pete

capsized8

Post by capsized8 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:01 am

I need them, but choose not to wear them when paddling -

Gives me that extra excuse for having hit or missed something, its the zimmer I,m more worried about!!
peace and good padlin.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:38 am

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:17 pm

I wear glasses for most things as I tend to do things that absorb my
concentration very fully and my blink rate is way too low for contact
lenses (computer screens, driving ...). You can take glasses off quickly
to read the small print (can't read small print in contacts at all).

But for anything outdoors, especially with rain or splashes, I wear
daily disposable contact lenses, which you can reuse up to about
thirty days if you treat them like normal soft contacts. This is wearing
them just for the trips, of course, not all day ... Eventually they seem
to get a bit stiff and/or discoloured and typically split or tear or just
get uncomfortable. Still, its only a few quid a year to actually throw
them away every couple of months...

Oh yeah, for skiing or high mountains, using contacts means you can
wear sunglasses, which has to be an improvement on painting headlight
colour on your normal glasses (that was back in the days of glass lenses
so you could clean it off with solvent...)

Andy

Steve C

Post by Steve C » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:17 am

I've worn glasses with a neoprene retainer for years (can't wear contacts) and never had any come off in a river or surf - believe me I have had more than enough swims and beatings!

My cousin knows an eye surgeon who performs the laser surgery and wears glasses. He would never have it done himself - 'you've only got 1 pair of eyes and no second chance' is what he says.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Natalie

Post by Natalie » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Another vote for the daily disposables. I haven't had many problems with them so far, although I do always close my eyes if I'm being spashed or go over. I have quite a good track record for not losing them, only ever lost two while paddling. However I recommend carrying spares and a little mirror as it really is surprisingly hard work if you lose one and have to wink until you get off the river.

Only a slightly different topic I would think twice before going for the laser-eye surgery as my brother-in-law has had it done and he gets really sore eyes now, plus the operation sounds too gruesome for me. Good luck for any one going for it though.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”