Me and friends going boating

Inland paddling
s o s

Me and friends going boating

Post by s o s »

Hello guys new here
Me and some friends from the valley are thinking of doing the river walkham as our first boating trip away from our local weir. We will be useing our playboats but do we need anything else? other than paddles and helmits ect
I thought that you guys would be the people to talk to as you must be good.

thanks for your time

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King »

The Walkham on Dartmoor? It only goes after very heavy rain i.e. when the river Dart is up sth steps at Newbridge. You want creek boats ideally.

s o s

Post by s o s »

but i have seen guys running rivers in play boats before tho

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

Sophie King wrote:The Walkham on Dartmoor? It only goes after very heavy rain I.e. when the river Dart is up sth steps at Newbridge. You want creek boats ideally.
I disagree, it goes in most moderate conditions (i.e. if there has been reasonable rain in the night or heavy rain the day before it is probably good to go) and why would you need creek boats? It is all 2-3 with one arguable 3+ that is easy enough in a playboat.

Unless of course you are thinking of the Merrivale Bridge to Huckworthy Bridge section which is somewhat more hardcore and not a suitable river for your first natural river unless you also want it to be your last!

I think this is a nice little river for people relatively new to rivers, as long as you are fairly sensible it should be ok. You may want to do a quick run down the Dart Loop first just to make sure you are all comfortable in a natural river environment but if you are all comfortable on that then the Walkham is not really that much of a step up, just be carful about the evil weir on the Tavy section.

Denzil

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

You guys know all the tell people where you're going, time you leave, time you expect get back stuff, understand the basic dangers of WW, can swim in the defensive position, have a throwline or two amongst your group? If any of the above doesn't seem obvious, then it's a bad idea...

I would really (really really really) recommend getting at least one experienced river paddler to come with you at first.

Edit: added extra emphasis with more iterations of really
Last edited by TheKrikkitWars on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

ol

Re: Me and friends going boating

Post by ol »

s o s wrote: I thought that you guys would be the people to talk to as you must be good.
Yes,....yes we are.

I think you should definately hook up with some other 'river-runners' for your first trip instead of paddling in a group of newbies. There are several things which you should be made aware of onriver which cannot be simply listed on a forum here.

I am sure there would be lots of folk willing to help you out and you should look at rivers such as the Dart Loop if in that area.
Good luck.

Poke

Post by Poke »

Sophie King wrote:The Walkham on Dartmoor? It only goes after very heavy rain I.e. when the river Dart is up sth steps at Newbridge. You want creek boats ideally.
Different sections:
- Chossey gnarr
- Bimble(?)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King »

Yes I was referring to the more hardcore section. Better rivers on Dartmoor to make your 1st run on. Alternatives include Loop section on the Dart, then you could do the Upper Dart if you wanted a more challenging run. The Erme flowing out through Ivybridge, walking up from the viaduct at the moorland end of the town, up through the woods to the slot drop. Then running down under the viaduct through the gorge. Both of these options have easy access and can be run in playboats.

Ross W

Post by Ross W »

As Sophie said, there's alot more rivers down here that you could do if the walkham wasnt running.
Dartmoor / Plymouth based
www.rosswildman.co.uk

pondweed

Post by pondweed »

Need to defer to those more versed in interweb terminology than me, but is there a term for someone who pretends to ask a dumb question to solicit responses or stir up antagonism?

Looks like a wind up to me.

Ray Latham

Post by Ray Latham »

pondweed wrote:Need to defer to those more versed in interweb terminology than me, but is there a term for someone who pretends to ask a dumb question to solicit responses or stir up antagonism?

Looks like a wind up to me.

And I was taking it all so seriously, ha ha.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”