Stolen Nomad 8.5

Inland paddling
Joe L

Stolen Nomad 8.5

Post by Joe L »

My Orange Nomad 8.5 was stolen of the roof of my car in Bangor the other night. It was locked on but the theives smashed the lock through my door to take it. It has no particularily distinguishing features apart from having the old outfitting but being quite a new boat.

If anyone has any info at all or sees a dodgy looking sale of a nomad please PM me.

Thanks a lot

Joe

Jack Butcher

Post by Jack Butcher »

Obviously you have informed the police, but have you checked the area for any potential cctv footage. sometimes it is best to make the effort yourself and present the police witht any evidence. I doubt they prioritise kayak theft, they didn't when my jefe was stolen the police officers in the station had a good laugh about it then finished drinking their coffee, before going out to look for it. it was only my efforts that recovered the boat and kit. the police were useless, sad but true.

Voodoo

Re: Stolen Nomad 8.5

Post by Voodoo »

Joe L wrote:the theives smashed the lock through my door to take it.
Do you meen you had one of them cable secure locks that you put the ball in the car ?

KieranM

Post by KieranM »

yes he did.

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King »

Did you get your Nomad back?

KieranM

Post by KieranM »

Nope, it's stilll missing.

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King »

Would be good to fit a small tracker in the back of your boat, like they fit to cars. Then if it was lost or stolen you could locate it with a GPS.

George Mcmillan

Post by George Mcmillan »

Any sign of it?

smile_as_if

Post by smile_as_if »

Nope.

parksey

Post by parksey »

£10 says it turns up on ebay in January when the little Bas**rds are skint and need some more money for Crack Cockaine, as if paying my tax for them aint enough they have to pinch from us aswell !!!

Good Luck. It might be an idea to post the serial Number if you have it, as it makes it easy to identify !!!

I might look into setting up a web app that tracks stolen boats, I have spare capacity on our servers and could just set up a page for looking them up by Manufacturer and type, would need some help with a list of all the models though any volenteers?
What could possibly go wrong?

garya

Post by garya »

Sophie King wrote:Would be good to fit a small tracker in the back of your boat, like they fit to cars. Then if it was lost or stolen you could locate it with a GPS.
You mean like one of these. you can set a zone and if your boat moves outside of it like your garden it will send you a text to track it

http://www.zoombak.co.uk/

We also used to use wire loop security in shop dsplays when I worked in them. If you broke or cut the wire loop the alarm would go off. There are similar products for cycles these days, just loop it around the boat seat and roof rack when it is parked outside.

http://www.c-p-p.co.uk/product/asp/Prod ... f/page.htm

Sorry to hear about your boat theft, hope something gets sorted out soon for you.

Gary

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King »

Yes spot on, I didn't realise that they were readily availabe. Fixed inside your boat and fully waterproof it should work shouldn't it?

capsized8

Post by capsized8 »

If I have this right,

Initial cost of £100.00

Monthly charge of £10.00

First year cost £220.00

Total after 2nd year £340

Hmmmm I guess you need to have your boat stolen during the first month of purchasing the system, and the second and the ----.

Your boat is depreciating but your fixed cost to "protect it " remains constant, obviously at a point in time you could save money by paying someone to pinch your boat - just being sarcastic, and I nearly said sorry, damm

Nice idea, but.
peace and good padlin.

garya

Post by garya »

What price piece of mind

The thing is portable so you could move it around all manner of different things depending what was important at the time. I would personally consider putting it in my kids school bag so at least I knew that they were safe.

I think someone said they cycle alone often or go walking so at least someone could find them if somthing happened.

I like the idea of the alarm zone for attaching it to my motorbike to warn me if it is moved or pinched in a van, that's got to be £7k looked after. if you have a boat on a mooring you could tell if it was stolen or drifting as well. like i said real versatile and not just for finding your boat as it disapers off downriver after a swim.

Neat idea. and a cheap insurance policy £120 a year after your inital outlay to make sure you stay safe if working alone or can react to or recover your stolen gear.

Gary

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King »

A family friend had their 4x4 stolen from their driveway as they were packing to go on holiday. The car was all packed ready to leave and they went into the house to get their 2 small children. When they came back out it was gone. It wasn't fitted with a tracking device and was never recovered by the police. The police believed it had been exported to eastern europe.
Like you say a device like that would have many uses. The childrens backpack is a great idea ;-)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”