How feesable is a short trip to Nepal?

Inland paddling
Will.S.

How feesable is a short trip to Nepal?

Post by Will.S. » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:42 am

Im planning on going to Nepal to join some friends for some WW, the only problem is I have a total of 11 days holiday total (including the flights)! Is this feesable?

Arriving 26th Oct, Returning 3rd Nov.
How long would it take me to get to the main area for paddling/ transfer cost?
How easy is it to paddle everyday? How much is taxi/bus to the river?
How many paddling days do you think i could squeeze in?

I haven't booked flights yet -Air Etihad via the UAE is £1031 and Air India is £625 including transfer via Kolkata, India- though I've read some reports of up to 24 hour delays with online/e-tickets in Indian airports- this would be time I certainly can't afford to loose. Should I risk it - or pay for peace of mind?

A little advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Will

magictom

Post by magictom » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Firstly, dont cut corners on cost... with a limited amount of time your priority should be doing as much as possible and avoiding the "Asia factor" as much as possible.

Secondly, for want of replies, I'd say go for it... it would be perfectly possible to do a short trip ( a week) in Nepal and boat every day... but you have to be on your toes. With a limited amount of time the first thing I'd do is contact Andy Sommer ( he posts here as Shivaoutdoors or some such, you'll find him) and ask him to book a minibus for you and your mates. I'd have the bus pick you up on arrival and hit the road... go straight for the Marsyandi ( I THINK it's mostly still runnable) and walk as far upstream as you can be bothered. Put in and paddle down to Besi ( you could do the drive to Besi, a bit of walking and a quick paddle down easily in one day from Kathmandu).

The next day paddle the rest of the river THEN head to Pokhara... overnight in Pokhara and run the Upper Seti the next day. THEN start walking in to the Modi ( same day) and paddle out and back to Pokhara over the next day or so. THEN, bus to Kathmandu ( possibly stopping for a jaunt on the Trisuli) and the next day to the Bhote for a couple of days... if you still want to boat and have time then run something else before you leave ( me and some friends did the Tamba as a day trip out of KTM).

You would easily fill a week, paddle almost every day and have a great time. Note, however, that it's YEARS since I've done this type of trip in Nepal so my info is massively out of date... the Marsyandi may not even run anymore ( although I cruised past the dam in 2006 on a different mission)... nevertheless with an experienced logistics man who understands boating, a good driver and a bit of luck you'll avoid the faff.

good luck

tom

James F

Post by James F » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:50 pm

The second time I went, I went for just ten days. I went straight to the Bhote Kosi did that for about three days, then bagged the Marsyandi, then went home.

I wouldn't have been able to do it if I hadn't been before (I would have been pole-axed by Tom's Asia factor if I hadn't known what to expect). Ten days, is not ideal as the culture is one of the best things about going and you won't really have time to take that in properly, but, yes, go for it.

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:26 pm

I completely agree that its possible to have a good paddling filled trip to Nepal with those time constraints.
Warming up for the Thuli Beri we managed to paddle the Bhote Kosi, the Upper Bhote Kosi gorges, the Tamba Khosi and then the Bhote again over a 4 day period, leaving KTM on the morning of the first of those days, and been back in KTM that evening. Andy Sommer at Shivaoutdoors sorted all the logistics of that one for us and is a cracking fella too.
On another trip where we were in Nepal for 15 days, we paddled the Balephi Kola, the Bhote Kosi, the Marsyandi (pre-dam) and the Bhote again. This still left us time for sightseeing in KTM but we didn't make it over to Pokhara that time. This one we sorted by simply flying into the country, heading into Thamel, walking into one of the rafting operators and saying: we want a minibus and driver for tomorrow morning please.
Not a problem.
The only thing I can think of that could potentially snarl things for you would be one of the numerous general strikes the country can be prone too. Does anyone know if these are now a thing of the past?
Giles

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:43 pm

It really depends where your friends are hoping to be when you arrive.

You can paddle a section of the Trisuli on the way to Pokhara - if you need some easier big volume whitewater to warm up on, or head east to the Balephi Khola before the Bhote Kosi.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

markthegoatboater

Post by markthegoatboater » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:58 pm

We managed....

Trisuli day 1
Upper Setti day 2
Lower Modi Khola day 3
Madi Khola days 4 and 5
Marsiyandi from Nadi days 6 and 7
Balephi Khola day 8
Upper Bhote Kosi day 9

Wouldnt have been possible without Mila our guide!

Good times.

shivaoutdoors

Nepal Quicky

Post by shivaoutdoors » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:53 am

markthegoatboater wrote:We managed....

Trisuli day 1
Upper Setti day 2
Lower Modi Khola day 3
Madi Khola days 4 and 5
Balephi Khola day 8
Upper Bhote Kosi day 9

Good times.
That is pretty much the itinerary you are looking for. Get a Private vehicle and a Guide (not sure if the above was arranged through me but no matter)...

Every day on the water and still a day to chill/shop in town. Don´t bring a boat, as i think someone had to leave his behind or something due to problems at the airport (i fear this might happen more often)...just rent it...or come with the plan to sell it.

The other option is to shop around and see if there is a Karnali/Sun Koshi or Tamur going at your time of arrival. Will give you only one river but..you´ll be in a boat every day too...

Bhote Koshi, Tamba Koshi, Bhote Koshi Gorge and Balephi are an option but wont fill 11 days...so if you want more time for sightseeing/shopping, the above stretch can be extended to have 6/7 days and the rest spend on Nepal pleasures...

Randy Fandango

Post by Randy Fandango » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:48 am

Err... I think he's already been and gone Andy! ;-)
Giles

shivaoutdoors

dam the brain

Post by shivaoutdoors » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:29 am

Hi Giles,

yep... missed out to look at the date a bit closer...happens when you just sit in the office and all day is ticking by the same way....

Randy Fandango

Re: dam the brain

Post by Randy Fandango » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:28 am

shivaoutdoors wrote: ...happens when you just sit in the office and all day is ticking by the same way....
Yeah right mate. I've seen just how "dull" your job is! ;-)
Giles

chrissydawkins

Re:

Post by chrissydawkins » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:30 pm

markthegoatboater wrote:We managed....

Trisuli day 1
Upper Setti day 2
Lower Modi Khola day 3
Madi Khola days 4 and 5
Balephi Khola day 8
Upper Bhote Kosi day 9

Good times.
Maila is now working for http://www.grgadventurekayaking.com
ive been on over 10 trips with him and he is definatley the best guide there is!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”