Vans

Inland paddling
God

Vans

Post by God »

I have decided I am fed up paying rent. So I have decided not to. With winter coming in, I thought up a better idea of sleeping outside with naught but some metal between me and the elements (and axe murders)

Any Ideas of the best van. Got about a 5 grand budget, has to be fairly sizable, easy to drive and never ever ever break down. And perferably magic.

Cheers,

Jak

John Kennedy

Post by John Kennedy »

Live on a boat. It's class.
I beat the internet! (The last guy was hard)

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing »

Any of the modern diesel vans are great. My advice is dont limit yourself to one make, sniff out the best deal on the bigest newest lowest mileage waggon you can find. 2 years ago I got the train to Blackbushe comercial vehical auction with £4600 in my ass pocket and drove home a 52 plate LWB Transit with 10,000 miles only. I fitted side windows, roof hatch, toilet, shower etc etc. Im allways taking off in it . Citroen,Peugeot. Renault, Merc, VW,Fiat all good. Good luck.
Lost your job? Wife ran off with your best mate? Bailiffs coming for the Audi? Thinking of topping yourself? Dont call the Samaritans, come for a paddle.
3 cheers for rap music.........Hip hop.................

Rick Foster

Re: Vans

Post by Rick Foster »

God wrote:has to be fairly sizable, easy to drive

Cheers,

Jak

I think it may be a case of eather or im afraid!

I wouldnt go any smaller than a high roof mwb trasit size if you planing on living in it full time.

George Mcmillan

Vans

Post by George Mcmillan »

Brian,
I'll sell you my van. I've had 6 boats and 3 men in the back on a shuttle. You were one of the men I think on the Nith.

george

Jack Butcher

Post by Jack Butcher »

I would look at a medium wheelbase mercedes sprinter with the higher roof. around £4k should get you a decent one. I'm talking about the previous shape with the facelifted front lights. loads of room in them and drive and park well the lock you get is awesome. check out the auto trader website for van listings. quick aswell will do a ton without any hassle ;-)

Ian from ruthin

Post by Ian from ruthin »

If your going to live in it properly than You should be looking at camper vans, they come with fridges, cookers, night heaters and comfy beds, the compromise will be that you'll be buying an older vehicle and you'll probably still have to invest time and money in it to get it "right"

God

Post by God »

Hello,

I have decided to get a vauxhall vivaro long wheel based. Does any one know of a good guide to putting a lesuire battery in.

Cheers Jak

Edwindle

Post by Edwindle »

How do you wash and cook in a van?
Edwin Runagle.

Life's short, paddle hard.

God

Post by God »

Well there are lots of showers dotted aound the world, and i don't really like washing anyway.

cooking ooh thats a hard one I bet no ones ever invented some sort of portable cooker....

quick to judge are we?

Edwindle

Post by Edwindle »

God wrote:Well there are lots of showers dotted aound the world, and I don't really like washing anyway.

cooking ooh thats a hard one I bet no ones ever invented some sort of portable cooker....

quick to judge are we?
Yes, and most of the showers are in peoples homes, I have never seen a public shower.

and, yes i could've thought more about the cooking bit.

But in what way was this judging you or your style of living?
Edwin Runagle.

Life's short, paddle hard.

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

Edwindle wrote:How do you wash and cook in a van?
I've spent a few trips (admittedly no more than a week or so) living out of my van and there are a surprising amounts of ways to get a shower!

Cooking is easy.....

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb »

I,m thinking along the same lines for when I go off to uni next year (although probably not as swanky in an LDV) Showers would be at work/uni (how do you think people who cycle to work cope)

Or a good ol solar shower type thing.

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak »

God wrote:quick to judge are we?
Edwindle wrote:But in what way was this judging you or your style of living?
I can see a "listen love" episode brewing here :-)

Jak, in answer to your question, try the VW T4 Forumthey have some cracking articles on them

Magpie

Post by Magpie »

TRY THIS IN GOOGLE

vwt4forum.co.uk

It may not be a vw but for a yearly small fee you can access all you need from insulation to leisure battery's . All very helpful and loads of ideas . need any help just gis a shout . good luck .
paddle like f##k

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper »

Edwindle wrote:I have never seen a public shower.
Most motorway service stations have these.

Some major railway stations have them eg Euston.

On holiday I noticed they had them at the harbour in Hugh Town (maybe not that convenient)

Swampthing

Post by Swampthing »

Edwindle wrote:How do you wash and cook in a van?

You build a shower enclosure, I use 6mm ply 12mm on floor all epoxy sealed and bonded. Go to a garden centre ,get a pump up 2ltr sprayer (£4) . 1.5 ltr water in kettle . Warm it to 40 C. Put it in sprayer and pump it up. Spray your self a little. Apply shower gell to important bits and peices. Spray with rest of water. You will find this an extremely refreshing expierience and end up very fragrant. Ive allways done this when cruising in my yacht if I didnt get to a marina and also in my Transit camper.Had a spray shower every day at Glastonbury this year If youre at roadside , plug waste outlet and unplug it when youre somewhere discreet or park so it drains into a road drain. We all waste too much water at home, its only when youre forced to survive on a finite tankfull that you learn how little will do the job adequately. Some campers and sailors make do with wet wipes. These contain only 20cc of water. 1.5 ltrs is a luxury shower
Lost your job? Wife ran off with your best mate? Bailiffs coming for the Audi? Thinking of topping yourself? Dont call the Samaritans, come for a paddle.
3 cheers for rap music.........Hip hop.................

meatballs

Post by meatballs »

An aside:

I wonder if parking in central london would cost more than renting?
Ben

God

Post by God »

My work has a shower, my freinds all have showers and my parents have 3 showers. If I start to pong I will warn you I promise.

Luckly I hartily dislike London and doubt I shall venture inside the m25.
Though I have woked out I spend 15 pounds a day on rent so if anyone knows how much parking costs in London we could work it out.

Cheers fo the link guys.

peakfreak

Post by peakfreak »

God wrote:My work has a shower, my freinds all have showers and my parents have 3 showers. If I start to pong I will warn you I promise.
Must... stop... imagining... God... in... shower... To late. fnarr! fnarr!

:-)

Ayres

Post by Ayres »

hey jak hows you? long time no speak,

ive just got a transporter and love it, but not big enough to live in,

deff look into boats but if your set on a van check out the nissan and renault as i believe their the same as the vauxhall your interested in.

God

Post by God »

I have looked at the renult and they seem to be about a grand more than the vauxhall.

Im only very small so I think I will be fine.

Now i hope your imangining some beardy old bloak in the shower.

Jak

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

I'm after a van myself. The Vivaro, very good choice, if I can stretch my budget a little, I'd probably get one myself, or the Trafic.

Do Creek boats fit into a swb Vivaro, do you know? Thinking Solo, Nomad etc.

How come, the Vivaro, Trafic and Primaster are exactly the same...bar the name?!?

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

I've just had a moment of madness and bought another van....now I have two.....never thought I was into impulse buying but it appears I must be!!!

Now I have a VW Transporter and a fully converted Trafic camper for the weekends........gotta break the news to Mrs SJ tonight, ha!!

SJ

Grumpy Fisherman

Post by Grumpy Fisherman »

I had a brief foray into fantasy a few months ago and was looking at buying a van. One I thought looked good was the Nissan Vanette Cargo - I have since driven one (the faculty van). Nice, easy to drive, can pick them up cheap and reckon you could get extra seats in 'em.

High enough to put in a fake floor and put boats underneath, only thing is that it may not be long enough to get creek boats in.

Ed Lefley

Post by Ed Lefley »

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind wrote:Do Creek boats fit into a swb Vivaro, do you know? Thinking Solo, Nomad etc.

How come, the Vivaro, Trafic and Primaster are exactly the same...bar the name?!?
I was looking at vans, my remix wouldn't fit straight into a swb van.

The same reason that the Citroen ?/Peugeot Boxer/Fiat Ducato (and the Relay/Partner/Scudo) are; cost savings. Renault own Nissan, and GM (who own Vauxhall) wanted a van on the cheap so have used Renaults for a couple of years now

Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Grumpy Fisherman wrote:One I thought looked good was the Nissan Vanette Cargo - I have since driven one (the faculty van).
I've had very bad reports in terms of reliability of the Nissan vans from adventure racers who've owned them in the past. I like the look of them but concluded they were a little bit too short, and then heard a couple of horror stories and decided they weren't worth it.
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

David Hepworth

Post by David Hepworth »

I've had a few vans over the years and find all have good and bad points, and can be a compromise in some way, but when it comes to fitting them out I found this book indispensible.

Travel Vans by John Speed

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Vans-abo ... 604&sr=1-1

worth every penny. Enjoy your van Jaks and don't let anyone change you mind on getting one, its freedom and fun do it.

Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

As a quick aside to the main discussion here, but what sort of glue do people use for sticking in the carpet when lining their vans?
Supported by : Team Pyranha | PeakUK

steddyjames

Post by steddyjames »

Paul Smith wrote:As a quick aside to the main discussion here, but what sort of glue do people use for sticking in the carpet when lining their vans?
I used carpet glue to stick it to the ply, then self tapped the ply to the walls.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”