Nepal info

Inland paddling
rich manchett

Nepal info

Post by rich manchett » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:28 pm

Does anybody have any up to date info on rivers that have been lost to hydro projects in Nepal. A couple of us our heading out in November and could do with a heads up.

Thanks in advance Rich

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:36 pm

Check out www.thelastdescent.com

Mike

shivaoutdoors

Nepal and Hydro

Post by shivaoutdoors » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:33 pm

All rivers as are mentioned in the white water nepal book by Pete Knowles are still ready to kayak.

Two major changes should be looked at.

1. The Marsyangdi

a) you will have to take out higher upstream (some signs from the Dam company will give you a hint), carry (drive) around and put back on. If you do this by yourself with the help of a guide, this will take a few hours (best arranged as an overnight stop). Basically you will loose about 8km.

2. The Modi

a) the dam there is not marked from upstream, so be prepared for a long portage (depending on the time of the year) and a scary awakening if you dont know where to take out.

The rest of the rivers are still running but, this can take quickly and scenery and access has definately changed to what is talked about in the book. Mean, the access now sometimes is easier and saves you the walk in. Unfortunately short lived pleasure as a variety of rivers are threatened.

Those include:

Karnali (not such a huge headache, as the water will be filled in shortly after the usual put in..unfortunately there´s no road yet to reach the new possibl put in)

Kali Gandaki...a huge lake takes out the fun and invites you for a long float out. Make it a two day trip if you are in a group and avoid sunburn on long beach hours...

Bothe Koshi..all sections are still going and good for the time being. It will look different in about 2 years.

Madi, Mardi, Myagdi, Upper Kali, Thule Behri, Tamur, Upper Tamur, Arun, Upper Arun and and and the list will go on....all of them have Hydro electricty dams planed and surveys are on. Basically there are about 350 dams planed from 1-10000 MW. Which will and does affect all rivers in Nepal. So come out and enjoy while you can....

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:56 am

The dam on Marsyangdi makes it worthwhile to paddle the section below first, as it is a good warm up for the section above. It is easy to catch a bus along the road.

Mike

rich manchett

Post by rich manchett » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:51 am

Thanks for the advice. I think we will have to paddle the Marsyangdi both to see its quality and the impact caused by the Dam, just wish I had we gone a few years earlier.

Again thanks Rich

Croft

Post by Croft » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:00 am

Paddled the Marsyandi in late Nov. last year and the dam was looking almost complete.

Day 1: paddled from Khudi down to about 1 km above the dam site and took out river right at the spot where the road drops very low (about 30 m above river level) - there is a sign from the dam company river right. We overnighted at a Tukuche Peak Hotel in Besishahar (various spellings) which is a fine place to stay. For a longer first day you can also start by trekking up to Nagdi (the day before) and starting there - the river is steeper and more serious and quite intimidating in high water - but you see it all from the trek.

Day 2: we drove to about 1 km below the dam site to the next village downstream and then took a longish walk back down initially a drainage ditch, then on a path to a footbridge where we put-in. From here we paddled down past the powerhouse and on to take-out at Tuture. So you only need miss-out about 2 km of river - which is great because the stretch between the dam and the powerhouse is one of the best bits on the river.

IF they already started filling the dam then you probably need to get out further upstream nearer to Besishahar on day 1, and then on day 2 put-in further downstream after the powerhouse. Would not recommend paddling down to the dam construction site and trying to blag-it because if you have to walk out from there it is really not nice (did this in 2006).

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:37 pm

Along the road below the dam, there is a series of steps all the way down to the river (can be seen from the bus, but not obvious), rather than going to the next village.

Mike

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:02 pm

See Andy Sommers website at http://shivaoutdoors.com/boathouse/rivers.php

He is based in Pokhara.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

mark Hirst

nepal

Post by mark Hirst » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:56 pm

while we
are on the subject I am currently working with 5 nepali guides in iceland. They all informed me of a flood in nepal on tuesday which has destroyed the road home from the sun kosi and the Tamur. I will try to get more details they all reckon this could be really bad for rafting this season

fingures crossed all turns out well
Mark

Debaser

Post by Debaser » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:24 pm

...I am currently working with 5 nepali guides in iceland. They all informed me of a flood in nepal on tuesday which has destroyed the road home from the sun kosi and the Tamur...
This one?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7574951.stm
"Summat funny and insightful here..."

GLC GAV

Post by GLC GAV » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:01 pm

I spent nine weeks out there recently. the best guy to see when you are out there is Charlie the Frenchman who owns ganesh kayak shop in lakeside pohkara. He knows practically everyone who is out there and what is going.

Paddle_Gimp

Post by Paddle_Gimp » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:12 pm

Thanks very much for the info folks, I'm heading out with Rich and this info's a great help.

Nice one

:o)

shivaoutdoors

Floods

Post by shivaoutdoors » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:53 am

The road back from the east has been torn apart by the Monsoon this year. It is not, that the water was particular high but, more that the maintenance of the dams was bad. Therefore the water breached a dam and flooded big areas in Nepal and India (Bihar).

That means, that the rivers like the Sun Koshi (season now) and the Tamur (season in about a month) are not going to run. There is talk about a ferry to put there soon but, i fear that with Nepalese logistics, the Chaos in front of the Ferry point will delay drive backs from the river for ages.

It is still possible to make your way to Biratnagar Airport and Fly back. This can be advisable if you would be doing the Sun Koshi/Tamur/Mewa/Maiwa rivers in one go (Best Time for that would be mid/end Oct and it will take you around 2-3 weeks). After the trip you just go back to the Airport and fly back..:)

I am not based in Pokhara but still in dusty Kathmandu.

Croft

Post by Croft » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:14 am

Re Sapta Koshi embankment. To avoid the ferry on the return journey, is it possible to take-out on the western bank (opposite bank to Chatra)???

Croft

Sun Koshi / Tamur take-out

Post by Croft » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:17 pm

Apparently you can indeed take out on the western bank of the SaptaKoshi about 10 mins downstream of the usual (eastern bank) take-out at Chatra. You need to tractor/jeep out to the road where you bus it back to KTM. Apparently this takes about as long as the drive back from Chatra. This means that the Sun Kosi is fully do-able, but for the Tamur the problem remains of crossing the 'new channel' SaptaKoshi on the drive in.

shivaoutdoors

Sun Koshi

Post by shivaoutdoors » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Yes,

obviously the Sun Koshi was/is doable. It just can get a little bit confusing once you are past Chatra, as the river gets very wide and chanels into many different directions, especially since the flood (new chanels). So, as no one really was down there, you will have to try to find your way back to the road.

It is possible to take out in Chatra and get up on the Tamur but, not possible to get back to Kathmandu (without ferrying, traffic jam etc).

Digimeister

Post by Digimeister » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:05 pm

We just got off the Sun Kosi. Great trip.

We got out on the right. The first sign of civilisation is where the (temporary) ferry goes from. About 500m down from there were several buses, shuttling people off the ferry into Rampur (sp?), ~30 mins. When we turned up (3pm) there was an overnight bus to Kathmandu almost straight away (15hrs, reasonably comfortable).

Ralph.
"If only I knew who in fact I am, I should cease to behave as what I think I am; and if I stopped behaving as what I think I am, I should know who I am."
Me - ICCC

Croft

Post by Croft » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:40 am

Just back from a fantastic Tamur trip. Driving-in from KTM you can cross the new channel Saptakoshi by chuggy ferry, rickshaw and bamboo walkways about 10 km east of the bridge/dam on the Mahendra highway - it took us about 3 hours to get across all the various channels.

Take-out (on right bank opposite Chatra) is exactly as described in previous post.

Note a new rapid shortly after Hudson's Last Rite - lots of fresh rock and not nice for swimmers.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”