Olympics - would the GB team please stand up?

Inland paddling
justin-g

Olympics - would the GB team please stand up?

Post by justin-g »

I have to say i'm loving the fact that GB are beating the aussies - i'm a kiwi who lives in the UK so a double wammy for me...

However i have noticed that GB team only seem to be winning sports where you sit down... somthing in that i think!!!

J
White water "rider"

Debaser

Post by Debaser »

However I have noticed that GB team only seem to be winning sports where you sit down... somthing in that I think!!!
Hmmmm? For nations who make such a great play of sailing when it's the Americas Cup (formation sitting down) that's just sour grapes.

I thought sailing was the national sport of NZ, after rugby union (aka synchronized cuddling) ?

BTW. Here's a man who spent his entire sporting career sitting down, carrying the flag at the opening of the Olympics in Atlanta. Would you like to put your point to him? ;-)
http://torchrelay.beijing2008.cn/en/arc ... 4653.shtml
"Summat funny and insightful here..."

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

I was trying to be funny - i think it's all great. And who the hell is Simon Redgrave ;-)

And yes NZ normally only does well at sit down sports as well... chip off the old block...

And as for rugby - we have a saying in NZ....

England invented football for the brazilians, cricket for the aussies, rugby for the kiwis and robbie williams for the gays.

Justin
White water "rider"

Debaser

Post by Debaser »

...who the hell is Simon Redgrave
Don't know. But if you ever bump into him make sure to ask whether he rowed for Oxford or Cambridge. He likes that.
England invented football for the brazilians, cricket for the aussies, rugby for the kiwis...
We have been generous over the years haven't we? Even let you win sometimes to keep your minds off the girls, the beaches and the sheep. ;-)
"Summat funny and insightful here..."

Bod

Post by Bod »

justin-g wrote:I was trying to be funny - I think it's all great. And who the hell is Simon Redgrave ;-)

And yes NZ normally only does well at sit down sports as well... chip off the old block...

And as for rugby - we have a saying in NZ....

England invented football for the brazilians, cricket for the aussies, rugby for the kiwis and robbie williams for the gays.

Justin
Remind me when NZ last got into the final of the Rugby world Cup?
John B.

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

Isn't that called the tri nations? won it past 7 out of 10 years i believe.
White water "rider"

action_girl72

Post by action_girl72 »

Rugby World Cup - Chokers just like England at Association Football.

conoroneill

Re: Olympics - would the GB team please stand up?

Post by conoroneill »

justin-g wrote:However I have noticed that GB team only seem to be winning sports where you sit down... somthing in that I think!!!
Yep, at the moment, 28 out of 31 medals for the GB are 'sitting down' medals :-)

And nearly all of the Aussie medals are 'wet' medals. Looks like they like water.

But: NZ only has 7 in total... :-(
Conor O'Neill

Slaphappy

Post by Slaphappy »

However I have noticed that GB team only seem to be winning sports where you sit down... somthing in that I think!!!
Well I fell off my chair laughing so had to share it with the office one guy couldn't swallow his tea, you made him stand at least ;-) very good, very funny...

Pyro

Post by Pyro »

justin-g wrote:Isn't that called the tri nations? won it past 7 out of 10 years I believe.
Are we talking Union or League here, 'cause if I remember rightly the League tri-nations, erm, you ain't part of!!

To be honest, we don't need to give you any stick abut how badly your team did in the Rugby World Cup. From all the papers I read out there, the NZ press did enough of that anyway.
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer »

I see Christine Ohurougu has just won the 400m office chair dash! ;-)
Nick Mawer

Dave @ TRC

Post by Dave @ TRC »

Chaucer wrote:I see Christine Ohurougu has just won the 400m office chair dash! ;-)
Yea but she did start on her knees ?

DAve
Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit."

WWW.THERIVERCREW.CO.UK

Crumble

Post by Crumble »

Quoting 'Mock the Week' from Friday...
We win all the events that black african men can't afford to compete in

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Hahaha holy beg, I've just started reading this and can't believe there's an arguement about who's a better rugby team against NZ.....(clearly I have many massive black kiwi mates who I am very scared of haha)

I would have thought the answer is obvious.....the sheep shaggers have much better.............................rivers hahaha

Oh and now that us jocks are bringing home some medals consistantly can we get an artificial course please!
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon »

can we get an artificial course please!
Yep, they're building the course for the principalities in Cardiff!

Mike

banzer

Post by banzer »

jmmoxon wrote:
can we get an artificial course please!
Yep, they're building the course for the principalities in Cardiff!
Mike
Well they're redirecting more of the water at Kinlochleven into the playhole, so that the hole will be at least 10% bigger, 24/7! With added midges, at no charge. Who says we get a bad deal.

I'll just answer for FJF as well to save him the bother...
feelingjustfine wrote:the southern softies can keep their artificial courses full of stinking sewage water... we have real rivers up here!
Well said Chris.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine »

???

I beleive that introducing new chances and places for people to paddle in different places in the UK is where hopefully the growth of the sport of kayaking will be directing it's money. Not everyone is lucky enough to live in areas which are blessed with naturally great kayaking rivers such as Devon/ S.Wales/ Grampian so they have to take what they can get and even if it is not as "good" as some of the above it is still a measure of sucess-simply for the fact of getting people into the sport. As for discriminating against people from "the south" and calling them softies-I think it is particually unacceptable and bordering on racist and you should apologise now, some of kayakings most famous figures live and come from the south such a Mr Gale and Alan Ellard to name but a few.

Reg the rugby comments- I couldn't stop laughing when I read someone trying to say England are better than NZ...I mean did you seriously neck that entire bottle of takingthepissapam this morning washed down with a pint of bullshit! lol!

Mr P.
dam the dart :)

Bod

Post by Bod »

feelingjustfine wrote:???

Reg the rugby comments- I couldn't stop laughing when I read someone trying to say England are better than NZ...I mean did you seriously neck that entire bottle of takingthepissapam this morning washed down with a pint of bullshit! lol!

Mr P.
I think if you read the rugby comments again neither commented upon England's prowess, both just poked fun at the fact that NZ fail to deliver when they get to the World Cup. As with the Olympics, results are what go into the history books.
John B.

chriscw

Rugby world cup...

Post by chriscw »

I think the rugby world cup is normally called the grand slam isn't it. I can't remember anyone but Wales ever winning that but then I'm only 56...
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

little tim

Post by little tim »

Pyro wrote:Are we talking Union or League here, 'cause if I remember rightly the League tri-nations, erm, you ain't part of!!
League? Not really a sport, is it? More like a big cuddle. Of course, that would suit you...

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

banzer wrote:
I'll just answer for FJF as well to save him the bother...
feelingjustfine wrote:the southern softies can keep their artificial courses full of stinking sewage water... we have real rivers up here!
Well said Chris.
Nah chaps, they are filling it in so that when one swims you can just walk to the side.

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

little tim wrote:League? Not really a sport, is it?
Haha my record was to bleed on a toff within the first 15 seconds of a game....league sucks man....too much like hard work with all that running!
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Pyro

Post by Pyro »

little tim wrote:
Pyro wrote:Are we talking Union or League here, 'cause if I remember rightly the League tri-nations, erm, you ain't part of!!
League? Not really a sport, is it? More like a big cuddle. Of course, that would suit you...
I never complain. I was a hooker for a good 8 years...

...in the 'front row of a scrum sense'
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

Chaucer

Post by Chaucer »

'What do you call the 7th/8th place play-off? - The Bledisloe Cup.' ITV's Will Greenwood pokes fun at the state of antipodean rugby.
Nick Mawer

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”