Can we afford to lose Nottingham's HPP whitewater course?

Inland paddling
AndyR

Post by AndyR » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:21 pm

This month's Canoe focus has an article on P38 by Chris Hawkesworth called 'Focus on Facilities'.

It includes updates on changes to the Washburn, Teeside and developments with the Cardiff Course. It also quotes the following about HPP...

"...Also this winter and expected to be completed by the spring of 2009, is an upgrade to the 'In course' obstacles to the Holme Pierrpont white water course. This upgrade too will involve the course being taken out of commission whilst the work is being carried out..."

Cheers

Andy

quicky

Post by quicky » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:57 pm

So out of action for a long time then...

Old Coach

Post by Old Coach » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:34 pm

Apparently Chris Hawkesworth undertook to post a reply on here explaining the situation..................

Oops, was that a pig that just flew by?

OC

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:57 am

Well my local councillors in Nottingham have agreed to see what they can findout and what they can do to help.

ChrisMac

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Old Coach wrote:Apparently Chris Hawkesworth undertook to post a reply on here explaining the situation
Chris has a record of 15 posts on this forum. That's a start. Hopefully he will like to add a further one.

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:48 pm

Right - a quick update for everyone.

We've had 492 support pledges (and counting), including pledges from 349 BCU members. Thank you, everybody. This level of support in a single week is absolutely unprecedented in paddlesport. We've smashed through the 280 signatories we needed to make our voice heard, so thank you so much to everyone who's helped so far.

There's a meeting between BCU facilities and the design team (EPD) today to confirm the design brief. No-one has been invited to this meeting to represent the course's users. So we've sent in a report to give a quick outline of why the course is so important for recreational paddlers, playboaters, wild water racers, rafting and and safety and rescue courses. We've also included details of the pledges we've had.

There will be a consultation meeting on August 18th (a week today) to gather input directly from course users. That's when we'll present the feedback we've had from the 500+ supporters who've got in touch. We're expecting details on location, attendees and what-not from BCU facilities after today's meeting - along with a report of what happened in the meeting. There will then be another follow-up meeting on September 3rd.

As for communication from BCU facilities, I've offered to disseminate any information that Chris would like to share. I've made it clear that in the almost total lack of communication and transparency is why this issue has drawn so much support, and the BCU so much criticism.

I've had a couple of private emails from Chris, though still no public statement. When I've got time (probably this evening) I'll put up a bit more information on the blog, as well as a summary of the report that we've sent in for today's meeting.

Cheers,

Pete Cornes.

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:14 pm

Old Coach wrote:Apparently Chris Hawkesworth undertook to post a reply on here explaining the situation..................

Oops, was that a pig that just flew by?

OC
Still no clear or definitive statement from the BCU on what's happening, even though Chris said he's circulate a statement on Friday, and then again today. He has, though, asked me to post a private email exchange with Matt Chadder.

Nearly a press release

Pete.

little tim

Post by little tim » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:14 am

Well, to me that looks like a few emails that have been edited heavily to look good. I apologise if this seems (or if you are reading this Chris, if it actually is) overly cynical, but I have never seen real emails as well crafted as those.

Here's to hoping, eh?

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:41 am

little tim wrote:Well, to me that looks like a few emails that have been edited heavily to look good. I apologise if this seems (or if you are reading this Chris, if it actually is) overly cynical, but I have never seen real emails as well crafted as those.

Here's to hoping, eh?
I've edited it a bit to make it easier to read, but I know what you mean. That's why I'd far rather see the public statement that Chris has been promising us since last Wednesday. They've got a full time PR, and it should be their responsibility - not mine - to communicate clearly and openly and to address their members' concerns.

orlandinio

Post by orlandinio » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:10 pm

AGAIN GREAT WORK PETE,

YOUR WORDSMITH SKILLS ARE MAKING THIS DEBATE SO EASY TO FOLLOW

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:15 pm

Capitals, Orlando - or your posts'll disappear.

Anyway, just had this through from Matt Chadder - it looks like next Monday's meeting is an open meeting at the national watersports centre at 6PM. Everyone welcome...
Chris Hawkesworth wrote:Dear Matt,

The meeting next Monday 18th will be in "The Patio Lounge" in the main centre at HPP at 6.00 pm. I have decided to open this meeting to all to ensure that the widest possible views are heard.

The draft Agenda is as follows:-

1. Welcome, Introductions and purpose.
2. Presentation of draft proposals by Andy Laird of EPD Ltd.
3. Presentations by users.
4. Open forum.
5. Summary and Way Forwards.

The draft proposals will be put on the BCU web site and made available for others on Tuesday the 19th. A period of consulting will take place which will end at a further meeting to be held on September 3rd, time and venue yet to be agreed.

Can I also advise you that your document "Holme Pierrepont whitewater course - A user's perspective" has been given to each design group member. The designers have been challenged by me to ensure that the fullest possible consideration is made of each and every issue raised.

Could I ask you to circulate this message as widely as possible.

Many thanks,

Chris.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:26 pm

That's some really positive news. Thanks for taking the effort to gather the troops and get some consultation with course users Pete.

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:37 pm

Having seen the Chinese Olympic Course, I'm suprised they want to get rid of the big drops at HPP, seems like the slalom boys need even bigger drops to train on! Or is this an indication that the London 2012 course is going to suck?

BASSBEAVER0

Post by BASSBEAVER0 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:11 pm

Glad you mentioned that about the olympics course Dave.

As I have mentioned before I'm new to white water so have had to ask what effect the proposed changes to HPP would make and had been told it would take away the "play holes" and be a "shallow slide", though, like you, looking at the Olympic course, it seems to have large drops and big holes.

Will the proposed changes produce a course like this? And if so, how is that different to what we have at the moment?

satnav

Post by satnav » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:15 pm

Hey guys

I run a weekend breakfast show in Lincoln. Dunno what response you'll get from our listenership but you can make a 'save HPP appeal' if you want.

Sat Nav

James F

Post by James F » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:51 am

BASSBEAVER0 wrote: ...I'm new to white water so have had to ask what effect the proposed changes to HPP would make and had been told it would take away the "play holes" and be a "shallow slide", though, like you, looking at the Olympic course, it seems to have large drops and big holes.
The course in Beijing looks like it would good for rafting, general kayaking and not too difficult to tweak so that it would be good for freestyle. However, it looks like it would be terrible for, the ever-popular, squirt boating. There are no large, deep pools for mysteries. Actually, now that I think about it, I imagine the main losers of the proposed changes at HPP will be squirt paddlers, what with the big pools being filled in.