Rental Car Advice

Inland paddling
garya

Rental Car Advice

Post by garya »

Unfortunatly my current car is off the road at the garage.

I am going to Wales on a course next week and need some advice on suitible car models that will allow me to carry my medium Burn inside.

I will be using a hire car and the agro of getting roofracks or and inflatable one on a hire car is not worth it. I have also read on this forum what happens when you get the hire company to fit them :-0

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... hp?t=35206

I usually carry the boat inside the to save on fuel and for security if I am on my own. This normally depends on how the seats and be arranged to or laid flat to fit the boat in.

If anyone can give me advice on cars that you use and how you arrange the seats and load the boat I would be greatful.

A Prize will go to the preson who can do this with the smallest, most economical and cheapest rental car. ;-)

Thanks

Gary A

ps.. Many thanks to the RAC and Highways guys who recovered me plus 2 passengers and fully loaded car with boats off the motorway when my headgasket blew..
Last edited by garya on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Fairweather

Post by David Fairweather »

A medium Burn will fit inside a 4 door Corsa, so I would imagine that any hatch back of that size or larger should be fine. The trouble with hire cars is that you rarely get the chance to specify a model of car, just a rough size of car. It's probably best to go for an estate to be on the safe side.

justin-g

Post by justin-g »

A meduim burn you say... Why just fold it up and put it in your backpack ;-)

J
White water "rider"

robt

Post by robt »

Paf. I regularly fit my medium burn in an old-style 3 door Micra. Millimetres to spare, but it does work.

I would say if you want to get the boat inside a small rental you will actually be almost better with a 3 door model. With 3 doors, the front passenger seat will usually fold forward completely out of the way if you remove the headrest. In a 5 door small hatchback you have to recline the seat, and depending how far they go they will likely get in the way and make the fit pretty tight.

Just be careful the boat won't go flying out through the front windscreen if you brake too hard :-P.

Jules

Post by Jules »

Can anyone recall the model of Lancia I turned up at l'Agentiere last year. If a Burn fits in that I'm pretty sure it would fit into anything. Admittedly I had to mess with the seats a little, and leave my dignity at home, but it fitted!

Jules

Kayacb

Post by Kayacb »

Brisol street motors have a deal where you can hire a transit connect toureno for £85 pick up from 14:00 Friday and return by 09:00 Monday.

caveman_si

Post by caveman_si »

Tell the hire company you have certain physical/loading carrying requirements (wouldnt mention boat inside the car tho, surfboard prehaps) and want to know exactly what car you are going to hire if you hired one. I have done this in the past and managed to get exact models specified in advance on the understanding if that car wasnt available the only way I would be happier is a bigger car for the same price.

Mind you last time I got a car I got upgraded due to a mess hireing a van the week before and got a renualt megane. On paper a nice car in reality aweful (boot was tiny and no leg room for me driving it) so make sure you happy with any car they upgrade you too (if that happens).

Jules

Post by Jules »

caveman_si wrote:Mind you last time I got a car I got upgraded due to a mess hireing a van the week before and got a renualt megane. On paper a nice car in reality aweful (boot was tiny and no leg room for me driving it) so make sure you happy with any car they upgrade you too (if that happens).
Agree on this one, the Megane is a truly awful driving experience....although I can confirm that a medium Burn will fit inside quite effortlessly!

Jules

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”