Say no to 0845 - BCU's "real" number

Inland paddling
Duncan S

Say no to 0845 - BCU's "real" number

Post by Duncan S » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:56 pm

Don't know if this is useful to anyone, but here goes. If you need to call an 0845 number from your mobile it wont come out your free mins, but you get charged for it. Anyhow the BCU now use 0845 numbers and when asked wont give you another number to call.

Anyway here is another number to use.

0115 9821100

I found it on this website

http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

BASSBEAVER0

Post by BASSBEAVER0 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:26 am

Thanks Global. Can use my mobile to contact them now without being hung out to dry! Great site link - have been trying to get a similar number out of British Gas for a while.

kendomat

Post by kendomat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:20 pm

This should stay at the top of every forum...

I already give them £37.50 a year + other coaching addons.. now they want to screw me for their phone system.

chicklechives

Post by chicklechives » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:54 pm

Is the information you get at the end of it any more accurate or do you have to turn up to HPP to find a slalom going on when you've checked it's open for public use earlier that week?
I guess paying less for the same dreadful service makes you feel a little better.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:35 pm

For balance it should be pointed out that from a landline 0845 will give you local rate charges wherever you are, it's only on your mobile that it costs more.

aleeivel

Post by aleeivel » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:03 pm

you have a choice, if you want to use your moby you have to expect some things to cost more!!!
Andy Lee
www.thecanoeclub.com

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
-----------
With democracy, it's your vote that counts; with feudalism - it's your Count that votes.....

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Jim wrote:For balance it should be pointed out that from a landline 0845 will give you local rate charges wherever you are, it's only on your mobile that it costs more.
Unless you have a free UK phone call deal, which exclude 0845 numbers.

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:47 pm

davebrads wrote:
Jim wrote:For balance it should be pointed out that from a landline 0845 will give you local rate charges wherever you are, it's only on your mobile that it costs more.
Unless you have a free UK phone call deal, which exclude 0845 numbers.
Like very nearly everyone does these days, I not only get free UK calls I also get free calls to North America, Australasia, South Africa and all the EU countries but if I want to call the BCU its gonna cost me (not any more though). These 084 cons should be banned by law shame on the BCU .
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Hengle

Post by Hengle » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:25 am

The BCU reacted to the 0845 at the beginning of the year introducing the 03000 number which is local rate and the provider can not take a cut of.

kendomat

Post by kendomat » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Even if the BCU do not make money per say from these calls, we will be subsidisiong their daft throw a six to start usless phone system

Ban the 0845 what is the need really. I dont care if is appears non geographical or not.. Im more bothered about my pocket.

Ban the throw a six to start phone systems - another con. As this enables the copmany to answer the phone straight away despite the fact that no on is available to answer and keep you running through menus and hold options meaning generating revenue for them selves..

I prefer an engaged tone.. its free to see that no one is available.

BASSBEAVER0

Post by BASSBEAVER0 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:44 pm

I have no problem with companies using local rate 084.. numbers if they want to, but as with others who have posted, many people now have mobile minutes or UK free call packages which then charge you extra to call these 084.. numbers.

Why, then, do they have a problem telling you the normal STD number that tends to run alongside these other local rated numbers.

Forgive my naivety but do they get a 'cut' of the lo-call charges or are they supposedly doing it for the benefit of national callers?

Edit: Just re-read the thread above and see that the cheaper numbers are the 0300 numbers and apparently the 0845 does give them a revenue.

kendomat

Post by kendomat » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:31 pm

Either revenue, or they get free phone systems, i.e. throw a six to start systems and the like. which would other wise have to be bought

ChrisMac

Post by ChrisMac » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:50 pm

All these systems are just a non geographical front for 'normal' numbers. Somewhere there must be a database with them all on. So far the saynoto0870 website seems to be the best as it allows people to add numbers that they find out.

Mac

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:25 am

Some of you lot need to find out about what you are discussing before putting finger to keyboard.

The BCU were providing a service to landline users by having an 0845 number as it is supposed to be cheaper for people from outside the local area to call, unfortunately network providers have taken advantage of this by providing automated answering services. The fact that mobiles are not included in this deal is the networks fault not the company providing the service - do you really think the BCU gets enough phone calls to make a profit from this system.

The number is not for Holme Pierrepont, which still has a local number and is not run by the BCU anyway.

0870 numbers are premium rate and the company gets a cut (most TV vote lines use this type of number, it's how Millionaire can offer their prizes).

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0845_number and get educated.

Mike

Duncan S

Post by Duncan S » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:26 am

My problem is not that they use an 0845 number, its that they don't publish another number alongside it. There must be more people using mobiles these days then conventional landlines. When I called them up and asked about I was told that they don't have a conventional number, which I think is poor show.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:42 am

Hi Global S

I wasn't getting at you (I agree with your point), just some of the other ill informed comments that people have put.

They will have a normal number (the one quoted above is their "old" number, so probably still works), it's just that their staff will have been told that the 0845 number is the one they are now using.

Companies do really think that they are making life easier for us by only giving us one number as they get so many calls that go to the wrong person when they publish multiple numbers. It also saves them money as they don't need a receptionist to take all calls. However, there are some of us out here who know who we need and want to just get an engaged signal when they are busy, rather than being put on hold.

Mike

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”