Nunsmere

Inland paddling
Wildswimmer Pete

Nunsmere

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:47 am

Want the opportunity for some real confrontation? You could try paddling the public part of Nunsmere Lake in Cheshire. For details go here:

http://www.river-swimming.co.uk/cheshire.htm

and scroll down to the Nunsmere bit.

As can be seen, the Forestry Commission own 20m of the lake from the southern bank but despite this I've many time been threatened by goons sent from the Nunsmere Hall Hotel claiming I'm trespassing in their private lake. After a robust exchange they've always left muttering threats that never seemed to materialise.

Although it's quite a narrow strip of water it's long. The water quality is excellent (Nunsmere is a flooded gravel pit) and quite warm - very similar to Hatchmere. There is no fishing. There is however a water-skiing club who will need reminding that motor boats aren't allowed in the FC part of the lake.

Access is easy. There is a free parking area off the A49. Carry your boat around the gate and about 50 yards on the left you'll see a track going down to the FC's irrigation pump. Down by the pump (which is very noisy when running) you'll see where you can access the water. It's a bit of a scramble but I can do it in bare feet and Speedos. The pump's inlet pipe, supported by those two floats, is only 4" so you can't get sucked in!! Make sure you stay within the green bit on the map.

Nunsmere Hall Hotel is under new management and I haven't been in the lake yet this summer. However should someone inform you that you are trespassing show them a copy of this pic (supplied by the Land Registry) and point out you are on Forestry property and request he goes away - as politely as you see fit. Otherwise call the Police as demanding you leave public land constitutes threatening behaviour and if repeated, harassment. Any problems please let me know by PM and I'll give you a contact email for the police officer responsible for the Nunsmere area.

Wildswimmer Pete
Nili illegitimi carborundum

Robson

Post by Robson » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:49 pm

Great,

I used to work for the company that own Nunsmere Hall.

It would be good to have an argument with an old work collegue.

Only half an hour for me too.
Can't think of anything to say in less than 50 cha

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:10 pm

How's about this then. The reply from Nunsmere Hall to one of our number who contacted them by telephone:

"Hi. I have finally got through to a manager of the hotel on the phone.

He claims that the lake is "fully" private property. He claims that people from the hotel will try and throw people out of the lake, even if they are swimming in the part of the lake owned by the forestry commission.

He asked a lot of questions. He asked where I was calling from. He asked "what business is it of yours?" And he also asked me for the name of any person from the Forestry Commission who had given anybody permission to swim in the lake.

It looks clear that the hotel is still of the mind to try and stop people swimming in the Forestry Commission owned part of the lake. And yes, I did ask explicitly about people swimming in the part of the lake owned by the Forestry Commission."

Seems as though Nunsmere Hall are so arrogant as to consider themselves above the law. Meanwhile I have passed this information on to Cheshire Police as it looks as though there will be a breach of the peace if I go to swim there. Any type attempting to eject me from public property will meet with seriously robust physical self-defence - and then I'll toddle off to "Claims'R'Us".

It's come to a pretty pass when landowners seek to exclude the public from property that doesn't even belong to them.

Pete

garya

Post by garya » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:29 pm

pete

just refer him to the local council who keep a copy of the land registary and the definative map. Most will also have a local rights of way officer who's job it is to take enforcement action with respect to CROW legislation and other public rights of way.

The forsetry commision will also have somthing to say as these people are obviously land grabing and probably breaking one of thier byelaws not to interfere with other forest users.

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:41 pm

garya wrote:pete
just refer him to the local council who keep a copy of the land registary and the definative map.
The map we have was supplied by the Land Registry which if anything has "higher" legal precedence than the council's definitive map.
garya wrote:Most will also have a local rights of way officer who's job it is to take enforcement action with respect to CROW legislation and other public rights of way.
Unfortunately water was left out of CROW in England and Wales. Anyway, the landowner (the Forestry Commission) isn't the problem. It's a neighbouring landowner attempting to assert control over someone else's' property.
garya wrote:The forsetry commision will also have somthing to say as these people are obviously land grabing and probably breaking one of thier byelaws not to interfere with other forest users.
We'd prefer not to rock any boats here. Nunsmere Hall is a very wealthy outfit and may be able to influence local FC management. We don't want to start some internal battle within the FC.

Just to further muddy the waters, a group of anglers also intends to start illegally fishing the lake so I can see a right battle developing. Perhaps we need a group of swimmers and paddlers to go mob-handed with both the hotel and Police informed of our intentions.

Pete

aleeivel

Post by aleeivel » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:04 pm

maybe a kilder style mass ( I was going to say trespass, but its not trespass is it) paddle/swim could be a useful plus to the access fight...
Andy Lee
www.thecanoeclub.com

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
-----------
With democracy, it's your vote that counts; with feudalism - it's your Count that votes.....

Terryg

Post by Terryg » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:15 pm

Andy, 131 posts in 17 days! are you trying to beat TheKrikkitWars record to 100 posts?

Pete4740

Re: Nunsmere

Post by Pete4740 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:26 pm

Hi wildswimmerpete. Heres an update on Nunsmere. There is now angling on the lake as Lymm Angling have the rights to its 6y0 acres. However, So long as your not disturbing anyone I can't see a problem. I both fish and wild swim. Often on the same day when the fishes are not playing!

sophiab

Post by sophiab » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:22 am

My friend was harnessed by a fisherman on Nunsmere. He really went out of his way to shout at her and friend. Where is the forestry commission areas where you can swim? Thanks

Wildswimmer Pete

Post by Wildswimmer Pete » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:58 am

Going down to the water you'll be near to the intake of the very noisy irrigation pump. The 4" pipe is supported by a red buoy. The FS bit is from along the bridleway to the top where you'll see a peninsular. That delineates the FS portion of the lake. The border is actually a little further out but if you stay behind that line from the buoy to peninsular you should be OK. Any problems from anglers and Nunsmere Hall Hotel stand your ground and dial 111 unless threatened by violence then of course retreat and dial 999. If possible take a pic of those responsible.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”