Slovenia, croatia and beyond!

Inland paddling
barCODE

Slovenia, croatia and beyond!

Post by barCODE » Fri May 30, 2008 10:25 am

Hi,

I'm going travelling throughout europe this summer, were taking our boats to france for a few weeks, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any boating in eastern europe. I have heard the Soca is good so we will probably pop in there, but has any one paddled in coratia or any of the countries between coratia and greece?

Thanks, Kev

Simon Westgarth

Re: Slovenia, croatia and beyond!

Post by Simon Westgarth » Fri May 30, 2008 10:33 am

barCODE wrote:I'm going travelling throughout europe this summer, were taking our boats to france for a few weeks, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any boating in eastern europe. I have heard the Soca is good so we will probably pop in there, but has any one paddled in coratia or any of the countries between coratia and greece?
The are runs in Bosnia, Montenegro and Albania, most of it is Class III cruising on through Karst gorges. For info, you will need to look through the internet. Stuff in Bosnia is well known, see a Montenegro Guide here, and Albania is pretty much uncharted for paddlers. Serbia has runs, although you will find it a challenge to get UK insurance in any of the countries I have listed. Although you can buy insurance on the border posts.

Digimeister

Post by Digimeister » Fri May 30, 2008 10:41 pm

We're heading out along the length of the Alps, starting in a couple of weeks: France (assuming it improves), Austria, Slovenia, Montenegro (cheers for the guide simon) being the main spots. We'll try and find a river in Croatia too, just to add another country to the tally.
"If only I knew who in fact I am, I should cease to behave as what I think I am; and if I stopped behaving as what I think I am, I should know who I am."
Me - ICCC

barCODE

Post by barCODE » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:20 pm

Sounds good, give us a wave if you see us - I'll be in a bight yellow campervan!

lollypop

Post by lollypop » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:42 am

I have paddled quite a bit in Eastern Europe and the Tara River in Montenegro is a great trip but you will need to arrange transfers or car shuttle as it is a long way from the start to finish. Best fun is to stop overnight in the gorge but it can be done in a day. There are also some good creeks in the same area to explore and some nice falls.

In Croatia you have the famous falls near Split plus loads of other small creeks going down towards the sea or the valleys nearby. There are also some tight gorges near the northern border area which are really fun.

In Bosnia there are some great gorges and in July they normally have a Whitewater Rally in Bajac area which is really wild, like the old MikeJones rallyies in North Wales. There are some excellent waterfalls there to try if the water is right.

Kosovo and Albania also have great rivers, but you need to be careful in all these areas as there are still a few landmines about.

Think that's enough, PM me if you want any more info.

Good paddling!!

Digimeister

Post by Digimeister » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:38 pm

Regarding insurance, we've found that some UK companies will, some wont.

As Simon mentioned you can get it at the border. I've confirmed this with a local contact:

"...I have contacted a friend of mine who works at Customs Administration and he tells me that
1. green card IS valid in Montenegro
2. it is possible to pay for insurance at the border but not at all border crossing points. For example, there are three insurance companies at the border with Croatia but none at the Bosnian border.
It is about 20 Euro per month and it's not comprehensive but third person."
"If only I knew who in fact I am, I should cease to behave as what I think I am; and if I stopped behaving as what I think I am, I should know who I am."
Me - ICCC

barCODE

Post by barCODE » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:39 pm

Yeah I heard you can get the insurance on the border (mine will only carry me to Croatia), hoping to explore most of the balkans.

lollypop

Post by lollypop » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:55 pm

Not sure how much it has changed since I was there but the border control made us buy insurance anyway and KEEP IT HANDY as we were asked for it before we left. It is only third party and I am sure would not be of much use if needed to claim so do make sure you have full Green Card cover as well.

The River with the falls is called the Una and the nearest town is spelt Bihac, sorry for misspelling before. Also Plitvice area in Croatia. They call these places 'The land of waterfalls'.

lollypop

Post by lollypop » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Just found this youtube link, well worth a look if you want to paddle the Una.

Hope it works.

Also, www.unarafting.net

There are loads more if you search Una Rafting or Bihac. Plus others in the area if you use the river or town name to search.

Good luck. This all bought back good memories for me. Have fun!!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”