River Guides - Regional editors needed please ...

Inland paddling
iainporter

Post by iainporter » Fri May 30, 2008 1:11 pm

What's a mouse? ;-)

You're right about vi Jim, I've just never managed to get my head around it despite actually having a lecture at Uni on 'how to use vi'. Now, is it w3m or lynx for reading the forum though...? Decisions, decisions...

little tim

Post by little tim » Fri May 30, 2008 1:13 pm

http://xkcd.com/378/

A quick poke of the hamster to get the cogs turning and I've got a vague plan that might work in a "push the button and you're done" kinda way. However in my hungover state, and the fact I'm in a meeting soon, that will have to wait.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri May 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Some respndants have also failed to note the clause that Mark still intends to have final proof reading and approval before anything "goes live". That would rule the Wiki idea out.

One of the best things about the site is the relative consistency of presentation due to single person editting of all the guides.

Some volunteers might find harder work than the expect to meet the standards that will be required!

Please think hard before volunteering, a lot of hard work has gone into the site, and will be required to maintain each bit of it. Mind you, only a few will be chosen.....

Jim

SwamP

Post by SwamP » Fri May 30, 2008 1:59 pm

Now that I'm injured for a wee bit again I'm happy to offer photo-editing of all photos if you want?

Might look nice having every photo with the exact same format, borders etc.

Great idea!
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Fri May 30, 2008 4:58 pm

Jim wrote:Some respndants have also failed to note the clause that Mark still intends to have final proof reading and approval before anything "goes live". That would rule the Wiki idea out.

One of the best things about the site is the relative consistency of presentation due to single person editting of all the guides.
Another key point about this site is the focus on content rather on the technology behind it. There are lots of fancy things that could be done, but with this site content must come first.

The one thing I would like to see is a better way of getting the latest Hazard information linked into the guides, but that can wait until after Project Backlog.
Last edited by Mark Gawler on Fri May 30, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Gawler

Digimeister

Re: River Guides - Regional editors needed please ...

Post by Digimeister » Fri May 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Mark R wrote:Now I know that a million techies will now pop up and explain that the real solution is to design a whizzy new databased site that makes this all effortless and seamless. In the absence however of someone capable/able/willing to complete this utterly Herculean task...
There is no easy solution to be had here. Yes, it would take a few hours to install a wiki and get it looking ok, but no pre-built bit of code is going to do the job properly. Much better to take the time to craft a solution that works really well.

Jim Pullen wrote:I think the main issue would be porting over the 1000s of files already on the system rather than the development of a new system itself. The latter may only take a few days to knock something up, but the former would take weeks of work which I doubt anyone would be prepared to do for free!
The porting is not actually too bad, as all the html is usefully in a standard format. Writing a conversion script shouldn't take too long.

I've put a lot of thought into the best way to approach all this. If anyone wants to discuss it, please PM me. I'd even be prepared to put the required time (and it would be quite a lot of time) into doing the work.

However, in 2 weeks I'm going off boating for 4.5 months. It will have to wait til I get back.
"If only I knew who in fact I am, I should cease to behave as what I think I am; and if I stopped behaving as what I think I am, I should know who I am."
Me - ICCC

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Fri May 30, 2008 6:00 pm

Jim wrote:Some respndants have also failed to note the clause that Mark still intends to have final proof reading and approval before anything "goes live". That would rule the Wiki idea out.
You didn't read Lowri's post did you?
I know it has been suggested before (and badly trialed elsewhere), but I seriously believe a moderated Wiki would be ideal for this.

Digimeister

Post by Digimeister » Fri May 30, 2008 6:15 pm

Tom_Laws wrote:You didn't read Lowri's post did you?
At the risk of letting this topic deteriorate entirely into technical wrangling, a wiki, even if moderated, is not the answer. It really isn't. They're very fine things, but not for this purpose.

On second thoughts, I'm NOT going to let this deteriorate into technical wrangling. I'm going to the pub. If you wish, we can discuss this in the pub on monday.
"If only I knew who in fact I am, I should cease to behave as what I think I am; and if I stopped behaving as what I think I am, I should know who I am."
Me - ICCC

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Fri May 30, 2008 6:19 pm

I'd rather not if it's all the same to you.

I don't really care what the solution is, the river guides are very handy and a searchable database would be nice, but this is a free resource that would be a lot of time to a)create, b)populate, I'd want paying (if I knew how to do it!)

See ya monday, coming out for a dance or whatever afterwards?

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri May 30, 2008 9:06 pm

Tom_Laws wrote:
I know it has been suggested before (and badly trialed elsewhere), but I seriously believe a moderated Wiki would be ideal for this.
Doesn't that just mean the mods can delete stuff after it's been posted? If it is as popular as the forum it will be beyond control within a few months.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:35 pm

Many thanks for all the offers to be regional editors made here and by mail - I'll read through and review them all in the week and get back to people.

Cheers,
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:10 pm

Just to let people know that I haven't forgotten this - will be contacting folk shortly.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:22 am

MikeB wrote:
A secret and archaic language, but one which is still useful. It's generally quicker to hit ctrl+P and enter to print your doc than it is to find the mouse, move it to the print icon, click the icon and then click ok.
But wouldn't that depend on how quick you are with a mouse? ;-)

TomWardill

Post by TomWardill » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:17 am

Jim wrote:
Tom_Laws wrote:
Doesn't that just mean the mods can delete stuff after it's been posted? If it is as popular as the forum it will be beyond control within a few months.
A moderated wiki usually runs on the fact that submissions have to be approved before being posted, rather than deleted after the fact.
Kinda what we have now, but a bit more automatic in the process, eliminating a lot of the overhead for the editors.
Tom Wardill

aleeivel

Post by aleeivel » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:10 pm

For what its worth I would suggest a moderated wiki would be the best long term solution. I bit of a pain to start of with but it sounds like there are a number of willing techy types to do the initial setup and I'm sure plenty of people will assist in moving the current content!!!

The plus points of it being very easy for people to edit when they find errors or out of date info would be so useful. The site as it is is such a great resource for the UK paddling fraternity just think who much a river guide wiki would add to the site...

Big thank you to Mark and others who help him for all they do to provide us with this site.
Andy Lee
www.thecanoeclub.com

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
-----------
With democracy, it's your vote that counts; with feudalism - it's your Count that votes.....

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:21 pm

Mark R wrote:Just to let people know that I haven't forgotten this - will be contacting folk shortly.
Sorry for the delay - going to try and get some movement underway on this before I head off for the summer hols. Check your pms, those who volunteered (unless I already know your email address).
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:18 pm

I'm in the process of putting together a guide for regional editors (volunteers still welcome) so I/they can get the backlog clearance started.

To my embarrassment however (and this shows how long it is since I worked properly on the site) I don't actually seem to possess any web editing software - unless MS Word is any better in its 2007 incarnation?

Anyone able to point me to a free or cheap solid package to use? My last was Dreamweaver MX, presumably ancient now.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:37 pm

MS word will do an acceptable job, but its a lot of faff.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Gareth dj

Post by Gareth dj » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:16 pm

TheKrikkitWars wrote:MS word will do an acceptable job, but its a lot of faff.
I personally would not use MS word, Although I have no experience of the current incarnation of word, previous versions created horrible non compliant code/markup.

I would imagine that you would run into browser compatibility problems (although as with anything, it depends on what you want to do)

If you used dreamweaver before can i suggest you look at Kompozer, I used its previous incarnation NVU for a while and it used a similar user paradigm as dreamweaver, It is free and open source.

I will admit to not having used it on windows, so i have no direct experience to rely on.

the below link is quite usefull, it provides free and open source alternatives to propriety software, can i suggest you give a few a whirl..

http://www.osalt.com/dreamweaver

Gareth.

ps, there may well be some cheap non open source versions, but i know nothing about that so i will leave it to someone else.

Crumble

Post by Crumble » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:10 am

http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/default.aspx

Microsoft Visual Web Developer Express 2008

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:53 pm

Crumble wrote:http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/default.aspx

Cheers, I've downloaded this and it seems to be the sort of thing I'm looking for.

However, it locks up/ grinds to a halt whenever I try to edit a webpage. Could it be that it just can't cope with a site the size of UKRGB?

Cheers,
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Ross W

Post by Ross W » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:47 pm

Mark R wrote:
Crumble wrote:http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/default.aspx

Cheers, I've downloaded this and it seems to be the sort of thing I'm looking for.

However, it locks up/ grinds to a halt whenever I try to edit a webpage. Could it be that it just can't cope with a site the size of UKRGB?

Cheers,
Does this Sort itself out when you start the program? it could just be that, its loading all the files up in to a list, given the number of files on ukrgb it could just be that.

Leave it for 5mins or so, then see if it works
Dartmoor / Plymouth based
www.rosswildman.co.uk

Crumble

Post by Crumble » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:44 pm

No idea on the answer to that!

Would an older version of the program help? I think I've got the last version at home. Will take a look. Just having a fun evening sat at Bristol Parkway. Go ton the wrong train at Reading (damn that railway employee on the platform) and ended up in Newport!

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:13 pm

I gave up on it, tried MSWord instead. This rapidly did horrific things to my website, so I've bitten the bullet and bought the student version of Dreamweaver.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:21 pm

Mark - Southbourne Canoe Club have a "legal" version of Dreamweaver that I bought but its about 3 years or so old. This was when I thought I could be a web wiz, but I was crap so they gave the job to someone else and I wasa told its now not used.

Rich Hampson has it sitting in a drawer - as he is an Apple man.

If its any good to you I'm sure you could have it on like long term - permanent loan.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:27 pm

Chas C wrote:Mark - Southbourne Canoe Club have a "legal" version of Dreamweaver that I bought but its about 3 years or so old. This was when I thought I could be a web wiz, but I was crap so they gave the job to someone else and I wasa told its now not used.

Rich Hampson has it sitting in a drawer - as he is an Apple man.

If its any good to you I'm sure you could have it on like long term - permanent loan.
Would be very useful - if you're serious, I'll cancel my order.

Cheers,
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:58 pm

Cancel your order, I can't raise Rich at the moment, I'll get details off of him etc, if he still has it it will not be a problem.

If we get any issue you can always re-order.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:01 pm

Mark - Have pm'd you

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks to the many folk who volunteered to help as regional editors. I've generally gone on a 'first to contact me' basis, so I'm afraid I've not been able to use all of the volunteers.

The regional editors should be getting more info coming their way now or soon ...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

eps

Post by eps » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi there,

If you still need some help with the guides and updates i'm a website developer with knowledge in PHP, MySQL, ASP HTML etc.

If you need any help just give me a PM.
Cheers,

Matt

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”